1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Usashi's slow YJ/Sygmaa log

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Usashi, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

I'm doing some concept work before I start working on the Azure Dragon. Today I also tried few camo patterns. In the end I'm considering those 3: a full digital camo, green variation of current US aircraft paint scheme and a semi digital camo I found on a Russians aircraft. What do you guys think?

Also, has anyone tried using a water dipping decals on vehicles or infinity TAGs and miniatures? The technique looks quite interesting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#61 Usashi, Jun 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    Modock, Golem2God, Xeurian and 4 others like this.
  2. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

All three are fitting quite well to my personal taste.
    The first one is the most elaborate but can require a lot of work.
    The second is the most discret and should not be to tricky to perform.
    The last one could be a good compromise between difficulty and elaborate vs simple.

From my experience with another "car body" paint technic applied to modeling, there is a limit when you scale it down where the effect does not work anymore or cannot be achieved. It could work with a vehicle like this one but I think the size limit it nearby.

Usashi likes this.
  3. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

1st on looks the best, but hard to paint!

Water slide decals are easy enough to use, but you should apply a softening and setting medium for best results (especially on rounded surfaces).

Another trick is to apply a gloss varnish, then the decal, and then a matte varnish on top so that you don’t see the clear film around the decal. (I don’t like doing this on small minis so I just cut off the film very carefully, but it works well on vehicles if you use spray on varnish).

Xeurian and Usashi like this.
  4. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Are we talking about classic scale kit decals (just some water needed) or the ones used for car parts, weapons and such (fake carbon fiber, quick camo, etc, requiring a big bucket)?

You can buy precut adhesive masks for the digicamo, or reusable stencils.

Usashi likes this.
  5. Koin-Koin

Speaking for myself, I assume the water dipping technic to be the second one.

Usashi likes this.
  6. LZ35SRX

LZ35SRX Well-Known Member

Doesn't seem like it. Here's a video of water-dipping painting - doesn't look like it would work like that on the second one.

Usashi likes this.
  7. Koin-Koin

I was referring to the second option mentioned by Mob of Blondes not the second picture.
    I realise that my reply could be understood both ways.

Usashi likes this.
  8. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Hand operated hydrographic printing is used to apply camo to weapons or fake patterns (carbon fiber) to car parts, or any other decor that does not need to be 100% perfect. Like the spray thing above, but starting with a sheet instead of spraying on the water.

But there is a computer based approach, in which the sheet image is deformed and the objects moved with actuator in such way they get a rather good "paint job" http://www.cs.columbia.edu/cg/hydrographics/ (wow, 2015, time flies... crude DIY version using the wrong computation method also tested https://formlabs.com/blog/full-color-pattern-3d-prints-computational-hydrographics/ ). So it would work, but for digital camo you better do it with a machine and computer help, for blob shaped ones it can be done by hand.

For one like the drop ship, I would try to print/draw on adhesive masks then cut, or buy premade ones or the equivalent stencil (flexible plastic with holes).

Usashi likes this.
  9. KedzioR_vo

KedzioR_vo Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Pick number one my Lord!!

[​IMG]

I think you're going to pull it off and the effect will be worth the work :)
    And about modellers decals, definitely invest in some softener and setter, so the decal won't show to much.
    Here's an article in our beautiful language ;)

PozdRawiam / Greetings

Oyentido and Usashi like this.
  10. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

Thank you guys for comments and suggestions.

I think I'll go for a full digital camo in the end. It's an amazing model so I can take my time painting it. The plan is to do it using airbrush, so I'm going to have some vinyl stencils done.

Well, that's a shame. Water dipping is something I found recently and I thought maybe it's a good way to apply digital camo to my IA miniatures. Found just a few videos where people are using water dipping decals on models, so I guess the technique is not widespread in or suitable for the hobby.

Koin-Koin likes this.
  11. Koin-Koin

Actually I learned about it last summer doing some research about car paint technics to help my brother for a 1/12 truck model. We didn't go with this one but it was still interesting.
    What I understood about it:
    - you need a bit of logistic that may not be as easy for everyone to implement if you want a good result
    - as any technic there is a learning curve so it require quite some misses before achieving something nice
    - it does not seem that available for the masses (i.e. average Joe like me)
    - you need a good hand control, even more than with a brush

You videos are quite interesting as it looks more accessible than I though first but still prepare to have many misses before being happy with the result (after all that's also part of the fun).

If you're going this way, I'll be the first to ask you to share what you get.

Usashi likes this.
  12. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

More Sygmaa renegades. I tried some new techniques on those guys. Base shading on Kriigel is done with a white and black oil paints. On the other hand my Clipsos is painted with GW contrasts. Before I found the good proportion of Black Templar and Basilicanum Grey, poor Kiiutan ended twice in a resolvent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a bit blury family photo.

[​IMG]

burlesford, zapp, Xeurian and 9 others like this.
  13. Sangarn

Sangarn TRIUMcorp CEO
    Warcor

love the conversion, Bit is your clipsos ?

14. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

Thanks mate. She is mainly my Clipsos FO but I field her as Kumotail from time to time. I'm waiting for a male speculo miniture from the defience to make a proper Kumotail conversion.

Sangarn and Golem2God like this.
  15. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

More speedpaint artichokes. Funny thing I never really liked strong contrast on my miniatures but I find no need to mix paints (I just use diluted white for all highlights) strangely refreshing.

[​IMG]

Oni, burlesford, KedzioR_vo and 2 others like this.
  16. Law Dawg

Law Dawg Well-Known Member

Looks really cool! Did you dry brush the purple and blue or wet blended?

17. zapp

zapp Well-Known Member

they look very good. I plan to do something simular with my Defiance stuff. Otherwise I'd play this game in 2030. ;-)

18. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

So how long does speedpaint take you? :D These look awesome for being speedpainted.

19. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

Thank you guys.

It's all about speed, so I use airbrush :slightly_smiling_face:

Good luck with your project. I can feel you as I have something like 80 Y jing minis to paint. I decided to speed paint tohaa to have at least one painted army. Plus, I'd get bold painting all those straps in a traditional way.

Hard to say but I guess around 2.5-3 hours per mini. All depends on the model as faces tend to be more time consuming to paint than helmets and symbiot armour is more demanding than regular cloths. Beside that is just painting time. I don't count time for contrast paints to dry, masking bases or cleaning airbrush. I try to paint in triads (damn tohaa) so I don't have to clean airbrush after every single mini :)

burlesford likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation