1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OSS PLog - When Nomads Get Bored (and Go Bad)

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Vakarian, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Vakarian

Vakarian Bad Nomad

You're welcome! The fluff is a huge part of what makes Infinity fun; the background is more relatable than many tabletop games.

And another update: this little lady has been done for a while, but I've held off on posting her as I'd entered her in our local meta's quarantine painting competition. The competition is over now, and unfortunately she didn't do too well, but I'm quite happy with her anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. wisefaiz

wisefaiz Well-Known Member

She looks great! Especially enjoy the freehand work on the scarf. On the eyes though, having a little dot of black like that makes her looked surprised (I have a similarly surprised looking Hafza :D). Try making the iris touch the top and bottom, even a vertical black line will do to make her look a lot more natural (you can of course round out the black line).

Golem2God and Vakarian like this.
  3. Vakarian

Vakarian Bad Nomad

Thanks for that advice! I honestly have little clue what I’m doing with eyes, so that’s very helpful.

wisefaiz and Golem2God like this.
  4. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Also make the eyes less round, by painting some more skin above and below. Look at photos of people, you will notice dark colors are bigger than light ones, specially when viewed from long distance, and shape is mostly horizontal.

Quick recipe, to do before doing skin:
    - White (also off white or ivory or very light grey, maybe mixed with white, if any of them is too "dark", depends of personal taste), all over the eye zone and nearby skin.
    - Vertical blob in black (or dark color), it doesn not matter if if goes off the eye, just that width is right, a bit fatter in the middle and placed equal for both eyes.
    - (Optional, specially females with make up) Cover above and below with dark hair color, making the eye shape.
    - Cover above and below with skin color, making the eye shape (leaving hair line if you did previous step).
    Then you can do the rest of face.

Once you have that in control, you can go with color for iris then black dot for pupil, adding white dots for shiny spots, etc. Or not, if all you want is quick eyes that look fine from some distance.

Xeurian, Golem2God and Vakarian like this.
  5. Vakarian

Vakarian Bad Nomad

I’m not sure my brush control is good enough to paint another color for the iris on top of the rest of the eyes, but that explanation is great - thank you! I’ll be using that for the next model I work on (probably the Asura).

Golem2God likes this.
  6. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

I sub that. If you need a simple visual tutorial, this guy has one for the way he does eyes (click through to the last image of the post). He's doing more of a manga style, but it honestly helped me the last time I tried it because doing the eyes that large means you have more space to work with.

Xeurian, Golem2God and Vakarian like this.
  7. Vakarian

Vakarian Bad Nomad

Looking at that tutorial, I probably can manage it actually. That was very clear and helpful. Thank you everyone! Stay tuned for the Asura, because I’ll be putting the advice you’ve given on eyes to practice on her.

Xeurian and Golem2God like this.
  8. Vakarian

Vakarian Bad Nomad

Hey all, I've been painting a bit slowly as of late, so I thought I'd share a WIP shot of the Asura as I've attempted to paint her eyes following the advice everyone gave. Still lots of work left to do on her, it's really just her face that's "done" at this point. Feedback always appreciated, but mainly I want to say thank you to everyone who commented for your advice on eyes and pushing me to take a step further in painting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Koin-Koin and Golem2God like this.
  9. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

@Vakarian That is an amazing looking face. Now that I've seen the above advice in action it encourages me to give it a go on my end. Your Asura is gonna be a nice looking model when all is said and done.

Vakarian likes this.
  10. Vakarian

Vakarian Bad Nomad

Thank you! I'm already thinking of how I can improve it for the next go, but I'm quite happy with it for a first try. I had to redo the left eye several times to get it to look right, but I learned a lot in the process.

Give it a go yourself sometime! One thing I truly enjoy about this hobby is everyone's willingness to help fellow painters grow their skills, by offering good criticism while also noting their accomplishments and improvements. Makes me want to keep working on making my skills better and better.

Golem2God likes this.
  11. wisefaiz

wisefaiz Well-Known Member

Great job. The face gives me a spooky inhuman vibe - perfect for Aleph :P

Vakarian likes this.
  12. Vakarian

Vakarian Bad Nomad

So after dropping off the face of the earth for a while (just graduated from law school and starting to study for the bar), I finally managed to finish the Asura, as she much deserved. Just took some quick shots after finishing her tonight; didn't really have time to break out the photo booth. But wanted to post shots for everyone here given the support and advice you all provided.

I know I've got plenty of room for the improvement, but I'm quite happy with how she turned out, overall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Golem2God, Koin-Koin and Oni like this.
  13. maru

maru Well-Known Member

day of the gigant eyes ;)
    The osl is not your strongest part and thing on the belly looks strange for lighttowork oslmust be brighter then suroundings and in your case blue is darker value then grey - if you whant to check this out - switch photo to grey scale ;)

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation