1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cover for mines?

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Foxbringer, Jun 2, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

I think you know as well as I do that treating it like completely Open Information with regards to the Trooper that's Private rather than what it's pretending to be, is silly.

Btw, remind me to ask for your game plan if we face each other at a Nordic Masters or something, I can see that piece of information isn't Private Information ;)

2. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

Permissive ruleset.
    No place says I have to share that with you, LoF on the other hand...

3. Mahtamori

Info is either Open or Private, no in-between. If you read the rules as strict as possible: "Information in an Infinity game can be either Open or Private."

And then we look for stuff stuff that is private.
    "
    These pieces of information are Private in Infinity:

"

Your game plan is not Private Information, therefore by the permissive rule set which has already staked out that information is either Open or Private, it has been classified as Open and has to be shared, unless you can find somewhere in the rules which specify that you don't need to share that information or that your own plan is Private Information (I haven't seen the rules refer to an individual player's game plan at all, so I assume it is not in there).
    Taking the rules to this extent is absurd.

So, my point is that sharing the LOF of a unit that is Private Information should not be mandatory as it should be Private because otherwise the rules are creating an absurd situation. You can ask and shall receive information about the mine's Camo Marker (which is 360) or apparent Trooper (which is likely going to be 180), because the LOF of the "Zhanying" is Open but the information about the Tian Gou that's hiding underneath is Private.

As a footnote; as far as I can tell, the position of a Hidden Deployment unit and LOF are the only two pieces of information that's not written to some extent on the Army List that's called out as either open or private.

4. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

@Mahtamori No, what is listed is private information, everything else, as in everything in the rulebook, is open information. Game plan is not a thing in the game and thus not something obliged to be shared. Permissive rule set.

As per your list, LoF is open information.

But really, I'm not actually here to debate this issue. I'm just curios why @inane.imp seems to have flipped on this matter

5. Mahtamori

Permissive rulesets don't actually make distinctions about when to detract from dictionary definitions unless the game do. If it did I don't think we'd have the intent debate, among other things.

If you don't want to debate it, that's fine, though. After all, I'm arguing how absurd it all is, after all.

6. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

And you're free to hold that opinion but that isn't the point.

I regularly play against Eastern European players and they do not care about using rules like wall placement engage, crazy koalas detonating every mine on the table, super jump forcing normal rolls etc. and will even break down mathematic equations on the table on an obscure angle, to claim cover or no cover.

This is why the RAW question was important and the response "that's absurd" is useless because in certain environments, it's not absurd, it's the norm and you need to know every single detail or you will get cheated.

7. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

I have played the entirety of N3 under the impression that Mines, whether as camo markers or once revealed, get cover.

E-Warden, Willen, Foxbringer and 2 others like this.
  8. Marduck

Marduck Well-Known Member

I agree that introducing the distinction between troopers and deployable equipement again in C1 would add unecessary complexity. Even if that's not 100% consistent with the rule as written (maybe it is, I don't care) it should be that way ...

I think I will voluntarily leave this question unanswered in my last video about "how to play C1" just in case it does change in a futur FAQ.

9. Willen

Willen Well-Known Member

TBH, unless there is an actual, clear, rules case stating that Deployables do NOT get cover, I will continue playing (and accepting) that Camo Markers and mines get cover to all BS Attacks.

It is simpler, consistent, less fuzz.

10. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

I am not clear as to what rule set the discussion is about seen both N3 and Infinity CodeOne been discussed.

toadchild and Willen like this.
  11. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Yes; you've neatly summarised the original problem.

The question is a Code One question asked in the N3 forum. So the result is that the discussion discussed N3 rules interactions of a Code One rule. @HellLois makes it clear in his answer that this is a Code One discussion.

This is important because the Code One issues that are brought up (can I find out if a Camo Marker is a Mine by asking "hey does that Marker have Cover?", or does a Camo Marker that is a Mine get Cover vs Discover?) are still unresolved.

How you clean up this thread is a different issue. Have fun!

#31 inane.imp, Jun 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  12. inane.imp

There already is (in Code One), see the @HellLois post above.

In N3 Mines certainly get cover and that has not changed.

toadchild likes this.
  13. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Do you mind opening threads in the Code One rules forum to ask those followups?

14. inane.imp

Yes. (I'm going to take a break from the Rules forum until N4 drops. Code One is just annoying me now).

#34 inane.imp, Jun 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    toadchild likes this.
  15. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

No worries - I'm popping in occasionally, but my interest in C1 was mostly as an N4 preview. I'm also not planning on getting super deep into the nitty gritty on what is a simplified starter ruleset. I think a lot of the intensity on these threads is misdirected impatience for the full N4.

Bobman, Willen and inane.imp like this.
  16. Foxbringer

Foxbringer Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Sorry, maybe I didn't understand your statement. But @HellLois didn't answer the question in his post and in my post above (and in quote)I underlined statements where deployables clearly get cover in C1.

I think this theme is important regarding to N4(in N3 no problems, thanks to everybody for answers), which should have same wordings in main Terminology and Cover like in C1, but instagramm Q&A diverges from the rules.

Or I want to get clear answer why they don't get it...

17. inane.imp

My point is that @HellLois made it clear this is a Code One discussion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation