1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our lockdown work (pano+nomads marriage effort)

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by THEGRAAK, May 28, 2020.

1. THEGRAAK

THEGRAAK Member

Finally we (wife and me) painted them!

It was a hard march but we almost completed our collection after years of nothing...

Our lockdown work ( INFINITY ) https://imgur.com/gallery/k9Zy11F

2. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

Great job on both of your work. I too have trouble finishing my hobby stuff as it always seems to get stuck in half-finished states. Congrats to both of you for persevering and completing this regardless of how long it took to finish.

THEGRAAK likes this.
  3. THEGRAAK

THEGRAAK Member

We fell in love with Infinity for its post-cyberpunk neat look (not the anime style tbh) and the gorgeous sculpts 7-8 years ago. We made the big buy-in and we actually painted -with much struggle!- only 3 on them (in order: spektr, brigada, grenzer. You can probably notice they have a different style, exception could be the Brigada that has been glazed light-red recently. Spektr is probably the worst of the lot: our first attempt). The others were left to rot in the box until COVIDshit gave us the chance to make the full marathon.

Those minis have been the pain in my gut for all these years, I almost regretted buying them since I was making nothing out of them and I had painting paralysis (we actually had to re-learn how to paint in order to paint them decently!). I wanted to sell them online but my wife firmly opposed! I'm so glad she did!
    We played a full game a few weeks ago and it had been a blast!
    We are so happy of our decision to paint them in mass and give this lockdown a sense!

Thank you so much for your feedback!

Law Dawg, Oni, Golem2God and 2 others like this.
  4. Golem2God

@THEGRAAK I'm very happy to hear that both of you enjoyed yourselves and didn't give up in finishing what you both started. Are you going to continue to build each force? What was your impressions on the game and the faction's gameplay?

5. THEGRAAK

THEGRAAK Member

Uhm, to be fair I don't think we'll buy anything else (apart the new dronbots box because I lick cheap orders) since we don't trust ourselves anymore in the ability to buy things and bring them to the table. Before committing into any other purchase we have to play a lot of games first!
    Also I'm not convinced by the whole Sectorial part of the game. To make it worse even if we have tons of stuff (30-35 minis each) we would need other 250 bucks (total) to build a good sectorial from that (we could spend less for other sectorials but we have one strict rule: in no way we are gonna buy minis we don't like).

My impressions of the game? Well, as I said it was a blast! I had to study 2 days before getting the rules in my head though, this helped in getting the flow of the game smooth, for any strange skill or situation the online wiki helped a lot to get the answer fast!

But the Rulebook presentation is a mess, an example? Climb, Falling damage, Scale, Jump should be logically be grouped together, instead the alphabetical order criteria...and core rules+special rules... wanna consult it? It's a mess! The definitive prove of this mess was that we skim it page after page in order and note down the key rules on our block notes as we read it on the core book. We ended with a mess of annotations: reading that notes now makes no sense since connected rules are scattered here and there in our 6 pages without any logical connection. You can imagine those same rules being scatteres in a 200+ page official rulebook.
    Conclusion: I'm making my own mini-book with the core rules presented in a decent way for our games.

The game itself: it's fast, no unnecessary rolls, every action has consequences, every order matter (I literally won with my last available order in the last turn!), it doesn't end in big melee blobs that last for entire turns (as many other skirmish/war games..this is because ifinity is gun-based instead of sword-based game). The thing that stood out more was the fact that I decimated the enemy faction in his first active turn thanks to my Nisse AROs. Nontheless my wife was able to stand and gave me hard choices until the late game. I'm not sure which other skirmish or war game is able to achieve this!
    To me is a solid high quality game. Only thing it needs is making order on the way rules are presented and interact each other. 4-5 levels of Airborn deployment? Please no. All those never-used haking programs? Cut those things in half, the game will be better under every point of view!

Let's see what N4 will bring!

Golem2God, jherazob and ETEA like this.
  6. THEGRAAK

THEGRAAK Member

I almost forgot the feedback on faction gameplay. Well, I could repeat commonplace memes about the factions, but it would be useless and let's face it: it wouldn't be backed with real on-table experience from our part.
    What I can say is sharing our experience in that first game though: mission THE GRID (grab antennas ro destroy enemy's ones. Central area of the table reduces your burst by one up to 1 dice minimum left).
    My best pieces (Aquila, Father Knight, Hexa hacker) entered in action the last turn. I almost won without the PanO poster-boys thanks to Bulleteers, Kamau HMG and most important Nisse's AROs. The first turn sniper massacre forced my wife to risk her 2 hellcats in order to remove the Nisse menace. She actually succeeded with one of them.
    I moved my harrassers (bulleteers) on the left table to remove some of her camoed infiltrators, but one REM stumbled on a mine (my fault, I forgot about that marker hidden behind a corner).
    Then the absurd "Dance of the last of the hellcats" began: I spent 5 order on my heavy-shotgun-bulleteer to kill that bastard from under 8". The mission central zone that reduces your dice up to the minimum of one did not help at all! Dodging like a ballerina the hellcat scaled a ladder and finally died.
    I took advantage of the cleared left side to remove some other Nomads pieces.
    Then she pushed on my right side of the table and started collecting antennas and killing my dudes. She killed my KamauHMG witha surprise shot and defenitely hurted my ability of controlling the table with no sniper and long range weapons left.
    In my last turn I moved forward the Father Knight: he was blinded and rendered useless by a humble zondbot.
    ...and my multirifle Aquila, that failed in trying to kill the Reverend Custodier tha was harrassing my right side and collecting points.
    We had equal points in that moment, I used my last 2 orders to destroy one of her antennas and won with the last shot of Aquila's multirifle.

We didn't see much ramboing from my heavy dudes nor much hacking from Nomads side, so we can say it was an unusual game for our factions, but it was a very tense game, played every turn until the last order to the point that we even never put anything on Suppressive Fire because we were busy removing thorns in our flanks every round :O

We are gonna have another 1 or possibly 2 games in the next few days! I'm excited!

Golem2God and jherazob like this.
  7. Golem2God

That is all fine and good. Many people prefer Vanilla/Whole Faction lists compared to limited sectorials. It varies on the persons taste. Seems like you and your wife both are "Vanilla" players. Plus you will get a better feel for your factions instead of a part of them. If you find a particular unit that you like and wish to field more of them than what is allow in Vanilla lists then you can looking into the sectorial that houses that unit/units.
    I've seen tournament results where "Vanilla" lists have won the whole gambit just as common as sectorials. So choosing to stay a Vanilla player won't hinder you at all if you choose to do so.
    I think someone out there on the internet has made a summary rules list of what you are looking towards creating. I'm not sure but you can ask the people of the forum with a question thread if such a mini-summary already exists.
    As for the rules they are getting overhauled/redone for the new edition coming later this year (N4 or 4th edition). It is supposed to make playing easier and less time looking at the rulebook. So perhaps you should order the new edition rulebook when it is released. Hopefully playing should be easier and quicker with the new simplified rules and a couple of games using them.
    Agreed. From what CB has said about the new edition it will be much better and quicker once we get used to the new system.
    From your description it sounds like a real nail-bitter. Glad both of you had a fun experience.
    What would you say was your and her favorite pieces to use so far? Do you both have any units in mind that you wish to buy in the future or try first by proxying?
    I'm guessing you used the online army builder that CB has provided.If not here is a link to it for both of you to enjoy.
    https://army.infinitythegame.com/

8. THEGRAAK

THEGRAAK Member

To be honest we had so many minis yet to try on the table that we try to not look the new ones too hard :P

I like tricks, I'm PanO player but I like tricks and special things, in fact I actually would like to try Nomads ASAP! I love the Swiss Guard concept so much that I bought both ML an HMG sculpts to be able to field one or the other. Or both in a possible proxied neoterra...yeah I already know the sad knews, but I'll always play with my wife so I basically don't care XD .....
    ...speaking of which I forgot that weeks ago I put on my radar the new Varuna starter, to use the kamau as proxied bolts, in case...but as I said before, it won't be soon.

Wife can't wait to try both the bandits together harrassing the mid table and a double intruder list. Also both Sputniks (yet to paint of course).

And of course we have the TAGs yet to try. I actually feel a little intimidated by them :D

...and most of all I'm eager to try the "Joan circus" list (Joan+cheap not-irregulars) as soon as we finish to paint Agents of the human sphere universal proxies (we are going to paint the base a neutral color, as grey with yellow/green lines, so we both can profit).
    Then, there will be the "Joan circus+Jotum/Ulhan" list. I'm leaving the Ulhan as the last mini to paint in order to have some real incentive to finish the whole job. Wife's final prize is the Kriza!

Regarding wife:
    She almost bought Puppetactica some months ago, so I bet it's still on her radar. Someone told me it's a very good unit for Vanilla too!
    And she also can't wait to try Perseus, proxied by Gecko Pilot...actually a better sculpt if I may, we don't particularly like minis standing on pointy things (warhammer40k-style for jump-packs units).
    She also likes a lot the Hollowmen sculpt, concept and rules. But someone told us it's not that good when not linked and a 4-man-box with AVA1 on Vanilla isn't the right purchase to do unless we want to delve into the whole sectorial. Yes I know there are some reliable split-box-deals (Shae Konnit) but we're trying to slow down our Infinity-purchase-fever until we have many games under our feet :) (probably she will proxy it with brigada in order to try it)
    Talking about sectorials: she's quite close to Corregidor for what she has, but we both hate Jaguars sculpt ad concept and the old sculpts of Tom/Wyldcats are not appealing, luckily we're done painting the old tiny sized models: reverend custodier "tiny-ness" was hell to paint for both of us! :)
    Also, Brigadas sculpts are awesome but paint-train it's a sort of monothematic one-trick-pony.
    So, to hell Corregidor!

Golem2God likes this.
  9. Golem2God

Neoterra is not going anywhere sectorial wise, just some of the models. It also sounds like you might be leaning into a different faction from PanOceania. You both could be playing Nomads or you can choose another faction. Check that army builder link and just browse through each faction's unit choices. You may find yourself liking Yu Jing more than PanO or perhaps another faction.

While PanO does have some tricks they are considered the most straight forward faction. Therefore if you like tricks or units with many skills tacted on them PanO might not be your best bet. Yu Jing, Haqq, Aleph, Combined, O-12, Ariadna all have tricks up their sleeves not just Nomads. You personally should scan through a faction's units and look up their skills+loadouts on the rules wiki in case you need clarification as to how they work.
    You can also pre-plan your split box purchases in case both of you want a singular miniature. If not just grab what you need at the time. I'd also look at ebay as you can pick up units/models cheaper not to mention oop. You could get some of those NCA models that are currently not being made anymore. One seller on ebay that sells split box minis is pepon84dj/ULTMAGAMES. He is in Spain and I've ordered from him a couple of times. If you need a model or two from a box then he can be of help. TheTrollTrader is another good seller that is based in the UK. Both he and pepon have free or very low shipping costs to the USA. If you can't see items when going to their ebay stores then go to ebay UK and then view their wares.
    Speaking of which what country are you both from? What source do you usually get your miniatures from?
    Then find models you like that could fit in the role that Jaguars & Tomcat/wildcats play on the tabletop. I use miniatures from across factions with some conversion tweaks to get a look I want. But there are Infinity miniatures that can fit into a faction different from their own without any tampering. For example there are other warband or smoke throwing units from other factions that she could use as Jaguars. Daturazi, Ghazi Mattaw'iah, Shaolin Monks to name a few. Tomcats are doctors & engineers so you can choose another modern sculpt that would fit into the Nomads and use them. Wildcats can be done in a similar fashion by finding a look that she likes. Wildcats wield Combi-Rifles, a Boarding Shotgun, with a Spitfire & Rocket Launcher for main weapons. There are a couple of units that match those perimeters.

THEGRAAK likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation