1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(May)be we should start speculating on releases

Discussion in 'News' started by Keyrott, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

We were told game specific models like heroes will not get a general release. There won't be a general release Cadin, for example. The basic units with profiles like the Shas stuff will get a release with a different pose / arms, whatever, but not those specific sculpts that were in Defiance.

Zewrath likes this.
  2. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

I can not nail it, actualy, but I have a feeling I've heard such declarations before. I can't say I'm too concerend.

Not to mention, it may be a true statement today. How it will hold in two, three or five years, remains to be seen.

Nuada Airgetlam likes this.
  3. Nuada Airgetlam

4. kanluwen

kanluwen Well-Known Member

Or they could just frigging release the models from Defiance. Not everything needs to be 'EXCLUSIVE!!!!11!!'.

Plus, didn't they say that Defiance wouldn't even get a retail release or something? All the time and effort and money that went into the designs and production, and they're just tossing it?

chaos11 likes this.
  5. Papa Bey

Papa Bey Clueless Wonder. Still.

Insert the screaming fanatic peat about how they paid for that exclusivity.

I backed the Kickstarter, and it wasn't for the miniatures.

Teleute likes this.
  6. kanluwen

That's a thing I will never, ever, ever understand. Games aren't country clubs--you "paid" for nothing asides shafting other players.

Out of genuine curiosity, does this mean you backed it strictly for the Defiance game? Would you still have backed it if they hadn't included all of the miniatures they are but rather a smaller selection?

7. Nuada Airgetlam

I backed the kickstarter exclusively because of the limited miniatures, the game is a cherry on top. I want most, like 80% of them, I intend to sell the rest of them at a reasonable price to recoup some of the cost, shipping, the wait, etc.

If they release them later, cool that people will be able to enjoy them, although having to freeze money and basically credit CB for a year ahead of time sucks balls. I'm not a bank for CB, ffs. And yes, being told "get them now or you can NEVER have them!" and it turns out you're the sucker who founded public availability of the minist would be awful.

If the minis were to hit the market at the same time CB sends Defiance to backers, especially if some of the limited stuff hits the market when the first wave deliveries are sent out (I paid only for the 2nd wave delivery because of the cost), with people being able to source them locally, and myself turning out to be unable to sell the minis I didn't want from the whole package unless I sell at a major loss, I will throw a massive fit and make the Forum burn.

Lucian, Guardian and injenegr like this.
  8. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

Personally, I believe (which is but a belief, not based on any solid facts or even indirect evidence) these Definace models will get released eventually, though perhaps in slightly altered forms (say, different head or different arms). But well have to wait a couple years for them, so the Defiance backers will have them as "exclusive" for quite a while.

For exactly the reason you've mentioned: energy, time and money went into creating them (inc. moulds to cast them, which are otherwise going to gather dust in CB's warehouse), the Infinity profiles for them are already made (well, granted, these are N3 profiles. But they shouldn't be that difficult to update to N4, once CB goes into full update swing). Simply cast more of them and sell them as general-release Infinty models, that's essentially free money for the CB... no effort / cost to bear, effectively, just churn them out and watch people who couldn't be bothered to back Defiance kickstarter buy them.

9. kanluwen

Referring to it as people "who couldn't be bothered to back" is a bit of a misnomer. I'm not giving any company my money as far in advance as a Kickstarter would be. I'm not even comfortable giving CB money for preorders anymore. I wait till the first kits hit retail.

10. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Defiance is not a boardgame that can be sold in retail, they did it as a proof of concept and it was well received, producing it for retail though? it is not going to work.

11. kanluwen

lolwat?

If it can't be produced for retail, how are they producing it for Kickstarter?

12. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Because it is an entirely different segment of the market.

Boardgames with metal miniatures are a hard sell in retail and several projects in the past attest to it, hence defiance is a product that cannot be produced for retail, there is theoretically a sizable segment of buyers who would buy the product directly and KS is a great tool to test the theory and directly sell the product to such a buyer base if the theory is proven correct.

13. MikeTheScrivener

MikeTheScrivener O-12 Peace Kepper

Its too bad so many of those add-on packs were locked behind a 300 dollar pay wall, I would have gladly purchased the O-12 pack for 40-60 dollars or whatever if I didn't have to also buy the full game. but eh, whatever

14. Nuada Airgetlam

They were so cheap because they were a reward for the backers. Even then, myself I didn't go for them. But why would CB hand out a 30% discount to somebody who did not chip in for the project?

15. Cartographer

Cartographer Well-Known Member

I'm pretty confident that Defiance ver. 2.0 (if it ever gets produced) will feature mass-produced plastic minis rather than metal ones.

16. Papa Bey

Papa Bey Clueless Wonder. Still.

Yes.

I'm not saying that some of the models won't see some table time at some point. But I restricted myself to the Core pledge and the Outcast expansion (Although I will miss that Uxia) because that seemed to be the optimal play value/cash cost balance for me with my budget. Buried somewhere in the depths of the Kickstarter was the information that the models would be released at a later date with differing poses. So I can wait just as long as the people who didn't invest (or maybe that should be INVEST) as much for those other things.

If someone wants to play the game with Onyx or Morats they can bring the figures for my cards. I will miss out on the Haqqislam stuff though. :D

A Mão Esquerda and toadchild like this.
  17. Nuada Airgetlam

I'm pretty sure they will get way less support if they do that.

Armihaul and Abrilete like this.
  18. Vocenoctum

Vocenoctum Well-Known Member

Not really shafting anybody, given that the stats are usable via proxy by anyone.
    The game does have a pretty small selection of minis. Core game is 12 minis.
    Of course, only 232 people went for that vs 484 deluxe or 3543 Platinum backers. So that should answer your question that more minis is more popular. :)
    AFAIK, they've already said that the minis will be unique (except reinforcements and the 2 kappas) sculpts, but some of the units will have different sculpts for general release. It's worth remembering that CB has the issue of TOO MANY minis/ skus, so keeping these random uniques around doesn't mean much for them. Maybe they can re-use some parts for new sculpts, but probably not a big deal overall.

I don't personally care if generic troopers are produced at any point, but hopefully if they resculpt/ release any of the uniques (like Cho or Agnes) before the backers get Defiance.

On the other hand, Taigha's seem way overdue and it seems odd that they haven't already released them!

I mean, it's too late now, but you know Gamefound isn't set up for requiring a pledge before add-ons. Another kickstarter said they'd manually remove any orders that didn't order a basic pledge level, but CB didn't because I don't think they figured they could. So you could have ordered Outcast alone and it may have worked.

Honestly, I bought the ALEPH reinforcement pack and wish I hadn't. Sure you save vs retail, but now I need to wait for them until like November to get it vs just ordering some stuff now for not much more.

Nuada Airgetlam likes this.
  19. Vocenoctum

Vocenoctum Well-Known Member

The Game itself might sell more even, really. Lots of folks complained about the metal during the kickstarter. But, there'd be no cross over with Infinity really, and of course it would mean farming it out like the Aristeia stuff.

Teleute likes this.
  20. MikeTheScrivener

MikeTheScrivener O-12 Peace Kepper

Huh, not sure what gamefound is. I rememebr people asking CB if they could pledge just for the add-ons and they said "no". youd have to attach yourself on to someones order or buy the whole thing

chromedog likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation