1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New brutalist terrain / cyberpunk city urban table

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by IAGO242, May 2, 2020.

1. IAGO242

IAGO242 Executive Officer

Hey all, just wanted to share what I've been working on for a while. The photoshoot was particularly fun :) I want to make some more scatter terrain soon and some more landscape elements. Some more acrylic signs as well, and lighting kits.
    I've found that it plays really well, even though many of the buildings are tall, they cancel themselves out. The building with the A/C condensers is great because it blocks LOS and the tower is too small for a 25mm base. The Australian meta in newcastle particularly has given great feedback and I've tried to implement their suggestions. Let me know what you think!
    The game mat was neo-tokyo by deep cut studio.
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For painting I tried oils and white spirit for the first time to weather it and add the grime. I want to do a youtube tutorial at some point but here are the steps:

1. Finish your base painting then seal with acrylic gloss varnish
    2. Once varnish dry dab some oil paints on cardboard to get the linseed to be absorbed for an half an hour or so
    3. Take some paint and mix it with white spirit to make a wash, dilute to your taste, then give the thing a wash all over with your brush
    4. Take some small blobs of paint and dab them on the building in the heavier spots. Wait half an hour for it to dry a bit.
    5. Dip your brush in white spirit then wipe most off, then use the damp brush to manipulate the oils to streak downward.
    6. If you’re not happy just repeat 4 and 5, it takes a while to dry fully so you have some time to fix any mistakes with white spirits

7. varnish

Note if you only use one coat of varnish don't rub too hard in the same place with white spirit. In one area I rubbed the varnish off and damaged the paint underneath slightly. But it wasn't too hard to fix as it was grimy area anyway.

#1 IAGO242, May 2, 2020
    Last edited: May 2, 2020
  2. bladerunner_35

bladerunner_35 Well-Known Member

Fantastic. Any resellers in Europe?

Abydog and IAGO242 like this.
  3. zapp

zapp Well-Known Member

Wow, nice work on the lighting of the scenes. The Cyberpunk vibe is real.

4. Soul Samurai

Soul Samurai Member

Jeez, that terrain looks great, and with that lighting and photography it looks frankly AMAZING! The way the figures blend in to the atmosphere just makes it all that much better!

5. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

Bleak, drab and depressing, like a brutalist complex should be. great work!

6. IAGO242

Will work on that soon :)

Thanks so much! Yeah pretty happy with the lighting, keen to do another version down the line!

Abydog likes this.
  7. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Day in, Day out. Day in, Day out. Day in, DAY OUT

check out the buildings of Paul Rudolph, noted brutalist architect, then get back to us on that whole "Bleak, drab and depressing" bit.

Evocative photos, but I hope you don't actually try and play a game with that lighting :D A bit hard on the eyes. OTOH, it is one way to emphasize that the entire table is a lo-vis zone.

Abydog and jherazob like this.
  8. IAGO242

100% agree. I think Brutalism is beautiful and warm looking. If maintained well. Clearly the maintenance budget in the city above is a bit low haha.

And well, I want to experiment with game lighting...could find a middle ground between atmospheric and practical :)

Abydog and chromedog like this.
  9. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

Well, that's a different take, interesting

10. zapp

zapp Well-Known Member

Looking forward to that!

Abydog, IAGO242 and bladerunner_35 like this.
  11. IAGO242

Just thought I'd add a few clear pictures. The buildings are pretty large, but I'm looking forward to doing some smaller ones too down the line.

This one below is cool, the Vantann office building is three storeys and features a lift, and for access the ENTIRE back wall is removed! It's narrow enough to allow easy mini placement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

redeemer, Oni, unclesrouce and 22 others like this.
  12. IAGO242

Here’s a link to download the posters I used for the photoshoot if anyone is interested :)

wuji, colt, Willen and 8 others like this.
  13. bladerunner_35

bladerunner_35 Well-Known Member

That’s great!

14. Wylde83

Wylde83 The Cyberpunk Guy
    Warcor

Still amazed by your terrain bro, love it :)

15. IAGO242

Thanks mate! Some more kits coming soon too :)

bladerunner_35, Abydog and Wylde83 like this.
  16. IAGO242

Here's a new objective piece - It's for the White Noise podcast Covid-19 Fundraiser :)

[​IMG]

17. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

Those Control vibes

burlesford, Mahtamori and IAGO242 like this.
  18. Mannebein

Mannebein Well-Known Member

These buildings look absolutely fantastic. How is it to play with such tall buildings? Do you mostly use the lower floors or does stuff go down on the roofs as well?

IAGO242 likes this.
  19. redeemer

redeemer Well-Known Member

those buildings like something out of blade runner amazing work
    does anyone have links to US retailers?

IAGO242 likes this.
  20. IAGO242

Not yet. Will be working on that in the near future. And thanks so much! For real the Bladerunner 2049 model maker Steven Saunders complimented the designs on Instagram the other day! I'm so chuffed :)

So it actually plays really well. It has been discussed on White Noise Podcast a few times (Gr8 podcast btw) and the general consensus is that the table works well since so much of it is higher than the average table. So Snipers aren't overpowered as their field of view is blocked by other tall buildings. - Also, to mitigate that to a degree I designed the Infinity Systems Data Centre so that the tower part blocked LOS but wasn't wide enough to fit 25mm bases that snipers could camp on. Unless you're a Cateran or Lasiq hehe.

Here's some new pics from the other day! Really happy with them - Changed the colours a but for some more blue and orange feel. I love those colours in street photography. Credit goes to @Jstop on Instagram
    I also bought a Canon G5X MK1 the other day to get better product photos and try and get some better/more regular content - Because with the iphone lacking aperture cotnrol hurts your ability to focus on things, to try and get as much in focus as possible.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

StephanDahl, LeGweg, Jumara and 20 others like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation