1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nomads in N4

Discussion in 'Nomads' started by psychoticstorm, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Hachiman Taro

Hachiman Taro Inverted gadfly

The biggest thing N4 should fix for Nomads is that our linked Medium Infantry Fireteams suck.

Wildcats, Moiras and Grenzers are all worse value for cost than Bolts ever were, and certainly way worse than they are now, they just got complained about less because hardly anybody (except people who especially like a challenge) bothered to take them. And CB never bothered to update the old, out of scale, non 3D sculpts either.

That's a bit wrong for 'The MI faction'. Meanwhile Prowlers always sucked, but haven't been looked at at all in 5 years, and even the MI that was marginal (Sineaters) or good (Intruders) just basically got steadily worse because of shock getting handed out like candy, and mixed fireteams suddenly just outclassing them.

Hopefully this all gets addressed in N4.

nazroth, Armihaul, Tourniquet and 4 others like this.
  2. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

Once the storm of sectorials started coming out I accepted their state for the edition. I think most people started assuming there wouldn't be time for that.
    We know it's getting addressed, we just don't know if the results will be good or just a lazy touchup that doesn't fix the fundamental problems. Personally I will reserve any upset feelings until the first expansion book of N4. If it's still being put off for new content my opinions will change as much as they did when Mero was officially retired, or from the handling of Uprising.

If someday I am putting a Wildcat Core and an Iguana on the table with a 10 model list, like in the early days of N3, I will feel satisfied.

3. Tourniquet

Tourniquet TJC Tech Support

Disagree on the wildcats, they are all sub 25 points and considering the kit you get on them they are worth their points. They just shafted by old SWC costing and that shock seems to be the default ammo type in the game at the moment.

Savnock and Stiopa like this.
  4. Armihaul

Armihaul Well-Known Member

we know that a big part of it is adressed, but not if all of it will be. Grenzers were known for beign not so good since little after their release (we knew then, but were told to wait to TJC to see them in context and all). With all the new "extra profiles for sectorials" sin some of the new (and also some of the old ones), plus the "with this system, we can check on any unit at any moment" from CB in pre N3, made me think that when TJC was going to be released, they would get new options or a cost check. But they got nothing for the "glue for fireteams in the sectorial" (that was told by B in some video)

The same to wildcats when CJC was checked. Lot of people was waiting for something to make wildcats more appealing, but nothing. They are "cheap", but that's all (and not so cheap when other units of the same cost can overperform them). Years ago I used them in one of my lists in interplanetario, one of CB's staff came to talk with my rival, and got surprised when he saw my wildcats core. He told me that the use was below expected, and asked me why or why not use them. My answer is not relevant in here, but if a unit, years ago (I think it was 4?) was saw as "used below expected" and they don't change it when they have the good chance (sectorial revision), then when to do it?

Maybe they just think that an overall MI buff is enough (even if it will not affect all MI the same, and the all the already good ones also get it), that is what happened

nazroth likes this.
  5. kesharq

kesharq Lucky Dice-Roller

I used a solo Wildcat HRL in my last game Nomads Vanilla against Aleph Steel Phalanx - and due to FD1 he did an exceptional job with dropping Achilles, a Myrmidon and Scylla. Of course I was lucky my opponent rolled very badly, but that's part of the game, too :)

I really love the old Wildcat sculpts but I would buy new sculpts at once and use my old Wildcats as Alguaciles any time.

6. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

They did not modify or add profiles, only fireteam rules. If they tried to patch Wildcats like that I would have been upset.

7. Hachiman Taro

Hachiman Taro Inverted gadfly

I mean you can make anything in Infinity work if you want to. I've seen Wildcats work. They're cool and I like them. They still suck for cost though (and don't have updated miniatures), and are not used a lot as a result.

8. Armihaul

CB didn't touch wildcats at all. No new profiles, no cost, and no fireteam options in them, as alg/MB/tyklon got, unless you think the wildcards as something for the wildcats, which I don't think so.

9. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

Nothing got new profiles or costs. That's the Wildcats need, so they weren't able to get their update yet.

10. Armihaul

nothing nomad maybe. But other sectorials did

11. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

Corregidor got to cut the line for a mini update that did massively improve it.

Savnock and Hachiman Taro like this.
  12. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

I really hope CB will get it together and do some decent overhaul with point costs and profiles in N4. But realistically I expect some more or less competitive profiles (like Kriza or Intruder), no bakunin overhaul and no huge profile changes. They'll probably focus on bloating model range with even more scu's and some brokenly op units to sell new sectorials and code one factions.
    Oh, and I'm sure there will be a new Kusanagi in 2021 since they will already have the sculpt from Defiance. Maybe they'll even throw in two arm set so you have to buy two for WYSIWIG. And no grenzer box or new riot grrl spitfire cause F them nomads.

nazroth likes this.
  13. Armihaul

while I am usually very critical with CB and I also think nomads sell enough without any marketing, so CB desn't waste much effort on us, I highly doubt they will implement WYSIWYG-like rule, because the proxy rule as is now is accepted a lot by the community.

yes, and from a mid-low they went mid-high, but not so near the top ones. They got good fireteam options...for one of the most vainilla LI, one of the most vainilla HI, and the most expensive/efficiency S4 remotes

14. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

And the single most common complaint I got was that Correg had a lot of great units, but the fireteams didn't make it worth taking the sectorial over vanilla.

Mahtamori, nazroth and Smiler like this.
  15. Click2kill

Click2kill Well-Known Member

Actually, the Wildcards do make the Wildcat link that much better. Lupe provides smoke to help them slog it up field and Daktari is a doctor spec. Wildcats didn't have those options, but they are welcome.

Wildcats are actually great considering what they are. Its the MI troop type that sorely needs a boost, because they are the slowest units in the game and most of them are about as fragile as a cheaper LI unit. The only MI units I see get played are the ones that can stay in one spot and be efficient, usually someone with a long range weapon with some MSV upgrade. I probably would use the Grenzer MLR in a link if there was a model for it.

As for Moiras, Bakunin hasn't gotten the mixed fireteam treatment and is a bit outdated atm. (but that doesn't mean there isn't a way to win with them currently)

16. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

They're good, they just don't fill a niche very well, and being slow and fragile and high SWC makes it difficult to justify forcing them in.

nazroth likes this.
  17. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

So... the option not to take Wildcats somehow makes Wildcats better? Oh, my. I have a feeling that by the end of this discussion we'll find out that Nomads are fine and don't need any changes.
    Addind a cheaper Doctor in a link is good, no argument there. Lupe - not so much, I can hardly find a use for her in a MI shooty link. With 4-2 move you'll probably want to move-shoot to utilize every order, not flank your enemy. And there's still the problem with swc costs.
    Compare them to the stupid broken kamau. Stat-wise and price-wise they are pretty close, except that kamau is a LI (with better swc prices, 1 swc hmg and 1.5 for HRL) and has shock immunity (which would make them better in a doctor link) and has access to MSV2. Oh and they are Wildcards themselves which makes them much much better in terms of saving points.

Spitfire_TheCat and nazroth like this.
  18. Click2kill

Click2kill Well-Known Member

You can't compare Wildcats to Kamau. Kamau are a LI unit, and right now LI units ARE superior to MI units. They have about the same chance to survive and are faster.

Lupe works in the Wildcat link because Wildcats are one of those MI units that need to get into position due to only having mid-range weapons in order to really shine, and the smoke Lupe provides can help with that in most situations. She also has a DTW and a panzerfaust with no SWC cost. Perhaps she doesn't improve Wildcats, but being able to go into that Wildcat Link improves Lupe.

19. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

Don't do that.

20. Armihaul

Well. Nomads will allways get the "your units are good/the best" comments. Even securitates got them before the revamp at the beggining of the edition (costing 22+ points). And those comments will continue, but that stopped to be true seasons ago.

Bolts are the ones to compare, which are cheaper after 3 reviews, with same or better equipment, better skills and only 1 of WIP below,which has almost no impact in that kind of unit. So they are in average better in performance and cheaper at the same time, but the wildcats are the good ones and bolts the still considered bad?

CJC units are not bad. Don't get me wrong. They are just plain half of them: the most basic LI, the most basic MI and the most basic HI. The other half are in better spot, but still not top notch. There is a good warband that competes with the basic LI on the cheerleader spot, a not so cheap infiltrator that in some other faction wouldn't because its "low" WIP or its "high" cost beign irregular. Also the most expensive/efficient s5 remotes in the game, or a unit that once was really a gamebending, but now is not anymore. The good point of CJC units is that they have not much bloat, which usually makes them cheap, but their cost/efficiency is average.

About the wildcard thing. Just remember that nomads don't get command-type rules (lieutenant lv2, strategos, NCO, chain of command, etc) because they are not "organized", but at the same time, nomad fireteams were more rigid than most of the other "more organized armies". They are welcome, of course, and might make wildcats fireteams better, but they are of more use for the other fireteams, so I cannot see the upgrade in the wildcats, just an overall sectorial upgrade and more fitted for other options

Spitfire_TheCat and nazroth like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation