1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Do We Want In Code One?

Discussion in 'Nomads' started by Del S, Apr 1, 2020.

1. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

I disagree for Nomads, Aleph and CA. The lack of a generic Line Infantry in those factions allows you to pack more flavour into a smaller number of Sectorials.

Core line Infantry shared across all/most sectorials for every faction will end up very bland.

I know that CB's medium term plan is 3 sectorials + Vanilla per faction. Longer term they're going to want to expand further than that, it's entirely reasonable that PanO, Haqq and YJ get more sectorials. Thus leveraging model overlap makes a lot of sense (most PanO sectorials are some variety of Fusi link + flavour already, this is a cool feature for PanO but becomes boring if it's universal).

I don't expect to see a third Aleph Sectorial or a 4th Nomad one any time soon. So leveraging model diversity in Sectorial design makes sense (you get 2/3 very different Sectorials rather than 4 with less significant differences). The presence of Nomad / Aleph troops in non-factional Sectorials gives Nomad / Aleph collectors similar value for money to PanO/YJ/Haqq.

While I do think that CA should get a Sygmaa Sectorial sooner rather than later (and share Kamaels with Tohaa), if anything it should be more varied than Human Sphere armies. So 4 line troops across 4 sectorials and a slightly higher SKU count than Human Sphere factions is reasonable.

Ariadna though "Riflemen" (called Kazaks, Grunts or Volunteers) would have been absolutely appropriate from both a fluff and gameplay POV given the natural 4-5 factions (CHA, Kazaks, USARF, MRRF, AEC).

SpectralOwl likes this.
  2. kanluwen

kanluwen Well-Known Member

Alguaciles are already stupid bland. No harm, no foul moving them to be a 'generic space merc'. It's what they did to them anyways to justify cramming them into QK. :)

Ariadna's mistake is not that they needed something like "Riflemen" but more that the focus on TAK has always been a noose around the neck of the faction.

3. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

It's a waste of visual space to move something that will never be used. It's so pointless that having to look at it feels like the most important concequence.

4. micawber

micawber Junkship Jockey

Stahp doin' ma bois dirty!

Yes, Alguaciles are the CJC flavour of the cheap and simple line trooper, but when I first started out Icestorm had just come out and I was intrigued by the appearance and fluff of the Alguaciles. Even though or especially because I understood they represent the "basic" trooper in CJC and Nomads.

Of course after taking the plunge and fully immersing myself into the game I understand that their profiles are not the most exciting or varied but at least for me they still ooze more style, character and fluff than most basic troops in other mini wargames.

5. Hachiman Taro

Hachiman Taro Inverted gadfly

Alguaciles are the soul of CJC, no frills, no fuss, no glamour - but just the right right amount of attitude and exactly the tools they need to get the job done.

They're humble and great at once.

6. inane.imp

I disagree. Wildcats are the soul of CJC: highly competent, no frills, no fuss, no glamour but can hold their own in a scrap.

The fact they don't play like they are constantly disappoints me.

#66 inane.imp, Apr 13, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  7. Click2kill

Click2kill Well-Known Member

I do like what they did with some of the PanO units though. Having specialized Docs, Mechanists, and ORCs for sectorials adds some flavor to the bland unit.

It would make sense for the Code One box to be Corregidor themed because without the frills of N#, its the closest vanilla sectorial. It also has the least amount of hacking in the Nomad force, and hacking is a newbie nightmare.

What I am hoping for, however, is that the GenCon season Operation Box is for N4, and if it includes nomads, would be the updated Bakunin sectorial.

8. kanluwen

It wouldn't be Bakunin. They still have to do a revamped Corregidor set.

9. Click2kill

But Corregidor had a 300 Pt. Army box released within the last 3 years.

Though they could always surprise us with something new I suppose, like the Black Hand, or some kind of multi-ship Nomad Task Force. The latter would probably be better for Code One.

10. kanluwen

So what? It was repacks. They didn't really seem to put any consideration into it and had to add a whole new Lieutenant option to the Mobile Brigada to make it fieldable.

If the 300 pt Army box had actually been new sculpts and filled in the holes for the faction, you might have a point. But it didn't, and you sure as hell don't.
    Not happening unless they retcon the hell out of Black Hand. The fluff for them as a force is basically just Observance+cherrypicked "SpecOps".

Which doesn't mean crap for the purposes of actual releases. We don't need new Sectorials added to make Code One work for Nomads.

What's likely to happen:
    -Icestorm and Beyond Icestorm will be released as the Nomad "Action Pack".
    -Operation HoobityBoobity happens and it's a revamped Corregidor Sectorial.
    -Remotes get redone.
    -Lizard gets redone.
    -Support Pack gets redone.
    Nomads then get 2 "Booster Packs" of 3 models each and a single model Hero blister like we're seeing now for O-12, PanO, YJ, and CA.

Del S likes this.
  11. inane.imp

If Op:IS gets released as an Action Pack then Operation:HobbityBobbity doesn't happen.

I think at least one, maybe both of the Booster Packs are repacks. IE: B:IS Kriza, Op:IS Spektr, Op:IS Grenzer

That sets up Operation: HobbityBobbity to be CJC focussed with a CJC Action Pack in '22.

Now I'd prefer to see Op:IS and B:IS repackaged as an Action Pack so that 4 factions get released to Code One in 21. This would also open up both Booster Packs to be new sculpts (Prowler, Zero, Sin-Eater perhaps?). But honestly, CB only has 8 Code One factions, so a 3 year release cycle to push them all out isn't absurd.

12. kanluwen

We don't know, at this juncture, how things are going to work. Nothing says that an Action Pack is precluded by a new starter. But frankly, they can't ditch the starters from Icestorm--and they are still currently available for sale. All it would take is them bringing the "Beyonds" in with them, repacking the Reverend Healer/new Knight of Justice with those starters and calling it a day.

13. inane.imp

Oh, I agree that would be simplest. But if they do that then there's no need to an Operation release of Nomads for at least a further 12 months.

Operation > Action Pack has been explicitly described as the pathway they're following.

What this means once all 8 Code One eligible factions have Code One Action Packs IDK and I suspect CB doesn't either (its '23 before that's an issue if they don't Action Pack Op:IS).

So I think they can ditch the Op:IS Nomad Starter. I just hope they don't, or at the very least simply repack it as a new CJC starter this year in preparation for a weird arse Op:Thingthing in 21.

14. kanluwen

The problem is that repacking Icestorm as CJC would mean ditching the Grenzer and Spektr out of it, and finding a replacement for the Reverend Healer.

What I'm getting at for the moment is that as they add stuff into Code One, some of the other factions can be given a different treatment. Nomads could, for example, be put into a Nomads v ALEPH box bringing Steel Phalanx and CJC in(both of which are some of the older starters around right now--I refuse to count Qapu-Khalqi as I don't expect them to continue their existence as a Haqqislamite faction but rather get shifted into NA2 at some point). That would allow for both factions to receive updated Sectorial sets for their sets lagging behind and Code One rules.

Smart move would be to bring Icestorm, Coldfront, and Red Veil out as Action Packs at the same time allowing for them to discontinue 6 SKUs in one fell swoop.

loricus and Del S like this.
  15. micawber

micawber Junkship Jockey

I expect something similar.

CJC has the on average oldest sculpts and some pre-CAD era sculpts that people were and are very vocal about wanting new sculpts of. Namely the Wildcats and Morans. I counted 3 new sculpts in the latest 27 Nomad products on the CB store (Bandits and Gecko pilot). Everything else was Bakunin or TJC and the Hellcats repack.

Since it is Code One they are not totally bound by sectorial restrictions so I could see the Lizard as the C1 TAG for Nomads but iirc Carlos said the Lizard is in the pipeline for a resculpt this year? So we might actually see the Geckos or the Iguana redone. Not sure what could be the Haqq/Aleph/Ariadna equivalent though.

They say you should keep your expectations grounded and realistic but if we get Nomads in C1 next year I fully expect it to be CJC. No doubt in my mind.

16. Click2kill

The Wildcat sculpts are not bad, but the Moran needs a makeover.

17. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

I agree it will probably be cjc but not for any technical reason, just because we are clearly their favorite.

18. Armihaul

Armihaul Well-Known Member

BJC has te oldest sculpts of the game at the moment: the zeros (pre-n1 one of them)

I don't know what CB will do, but I suppose that everything will be new. Op:IS will not be used, it sold really well at the moment, so new miniatures will sell well again. And I hope it is not sectorial focused, really. For that we will have n4

Spitfire_TheCat likes this.
  19. micawber

micawber Junkship Jockey

Obviously :P I was just trying to be diplomatic about it.

Thats why I wrote "on average". Yes, Bakunin has some of the oldest sculpts in the game like the Zeros and the Lizard but they have received some quite substantial updates in the last few years. Pretty much all of the CJC sculpts are pre-2014 (around O:IS and shortly thereafter) except for the Bandits, Beyond O:IS and the Gecko pilot.

loricus likes this.
  20. kanluwen

This is demonstrably wrong.
    Wildcat sculpts are atrocious. You know that they're Medium Infantry, right? And that they're around the same size as that dumb Baker's Street Irregular from "Outrage"? They should have been redone at some point with a refund/exchange offer to anyone who bought the CJC box pre-Icestorm on the basis that it was flogged as "designed to be the flagship for the Corregidor range".

Moran needs a makeover for sure though.

#80 kanluwen, Apr 26, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation