1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sergei's Spooky Space Russians and other encounters painting log

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Sergei Simonov, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Sergei Simonov

Sergei Simonov Well-Known Member

Hi everyone;

Long time lurker here; I have been inspired by all your work to come out of a vodka fueled quarantine stupor to reveal the latest works of glorious Izhevsk armory paint shop, the fine soldiers of the motherland, my foray into Tartary Army Corps-- as well as factions I actually have completed.

I have three years of infinity painting but only now got a camera that isn't a potato covered on cosmoline and lovely Olga's toenail clippings. Now I can post my most recent stuff and my more shameful older work for public ridicule and possible knock on door from politburo, da?

Oh Blyat, they are already here.
    Ariadna Vodka Sneak.jpg
    Ariadna Vodka Heavy.jpg Wait, you are most definitely not motherland...
    USA full 2.jpg

And you too? Double Blyat.
    Onyx Full 2.jpg
    There will be reinforcements for the motherland! As soon as backwater Dawn internet allows for more uploads. Green space tsarists will meet the armored might of space russians and other union workers of the world.

I'll be uploading more closeups too and updating the thread as soon as I finish more stuff.

2. Sergei Simonov

So who are these disgusting green space tsarists? With their fancy food production and watch batteries that don't need separate suitcases? They are enemies of the motherland!

You will forgive outdated intelligence. The big one, codenamed 'sphinx' has been redeployed to the front with upgrades after the glorioes soldiers of the motherland drowned it in their blood... errr, sent space counterrevolutionaries to whatever hell awaits aliens and tsarists. Onyx Complete 1.jpg Onyx Complete 2.jpg Onyx Complete 3.jpg Onyx Complete 4.jpg

HellLois, Lesh', Harlekin and 9 others like this.
  3. Sergei Simonov

We have a better look at the new weapons platform of the fascists, this 'Sphinx' they have modified. Sphinx Finished Resized.jpg

4. Sergei Simonov

Now, we mentioned something about allies, da? Space ruskies and space communists! Ok, with weird blyat degenerates, but allies are allies, nyet?

Nomads Sneakyr.jpg Nomads Technicalr.jpg Nomads Advanced.jpg Nomads Line Infantryr.jpg Nomads Full upload.jpg

The last picture really show the range of painting. The alguacilles were the first infinity minis I painted, while the Kriza, Daktari and Yaun Yaun standing in for Lupe are some of the latest. That's why the alguaciles and Mobile Brigada are hiding out of focus in the back. Shame.

5. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

@Sergei Simonov Amazing work on these models. All that effort you put into them truly shows and shines bright. Can we see a close up pic of your Alguacilles & Brigada if possible?

6. zapp

zapp Well-Known Member

Amazing painting and conversions. Love your collection. Thanks for sharing!

7. Sergei Simonov

Thanks for the encouragement!

Sure-- both were some of my first, and examples of my various painting skills over time.

1st Generation: Basecoat and a wash. Maybe a single highlight layer, and certainly never more than two. Best exemplified by my Alguacilles.
    2nd Generation: Base, Wash, Minimum 2 highlight layers. Very crude blending using imperfect techniques. Exemplified by my Brigada which I attempted to upgrade with extra highlights, but only so much I can do given the base.
    3rd Generation: Low reliance on washes, minimum 3-5 layers to create extreme contrast. No use of true metallic paints in favor of pure NMM and early experiments with OSL. The last picture is a third gen Spetz next to a 1st gen engineer.

Nomads 1st gen.jpg Nomads 2.5 gen.jpg USARF Comparison 1st and 3rd gen.jpg

HellLois, Xeurian, redeemer and 5 others like this.
  8. Sergei Simonov

Speaking of 1st to 3rd gen painting, this weekend I used the quarantine to attempt mass rennovation of my USARF minis. I didn't want to strip and start over, I just don't have the time or patience for that. Instead the attempt was to use just added highlights, blends and glazes to bring them as close to third gen style as possible. Most got to a solid 2.5! The Idea was that they wouldn't look too out of place on the table next to my CA, a very recent project and my highest standard paint job to date.

USARF Grunties.jpg USARF Heavies.jpg USARF Leadies.jpg USARF Sneakies.jpg USARF Speedies.jpg

HellLois, Lesh', Xeurian and 7 others like this.
  9. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

@Sergei Simonov That is a nice conversion you made of Trump. Using the old Grey Rifle model as the base was something I'd never thought of using. The rest of your USA models look great and those slight conversions on them stick out in a good way. Thought I have to ask where does the female next to the Foxtrots & Hardcase come from? She isn't an Infinity miniatures but she looks the part.

And finally your Brigada and Alguaciles are good looking as well. I like the blueish color that you painted them in.

Abydog likes this.
  10. Sergei Simonov

Thanks Golem. I will probably still be stripping and repainting them in the near future though-- between quarantine boredom and a massively different paint standard there's not much choice. Until then, let's bring out the big guns. Meet El Diablo. El Diablo Main.jpg El Diablo.jpg

Lesh', Xeurian, Gurutz29 and 7 others like this.
  11. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

12. Sergei Simonov

And because now I need to start touching up my brigada... WIP CJC upgrade project: Corregidor 66th Assault Battalion: The Patchwork Devils

Patchwork Devils WIP.jpg

#12 Sergei Simonov, Apr 15, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    HellLois, Lesh', Xeurian and 6 others like this.
  13. Sergei Simonov

El Diablo and the Patchwork Devils. It seems worker solidarity comes in tequila instead of vodka these days. CJC Hell's Fist.jpg CJC Patchwork Devils.jpg

14. Sergei Simonov

Because it wouldn't be quarantine without painting. Third gen paintjob (WIP) next to marauders with the upgrade project. Marauders WIP.jpg

The issue is of course that you never see results until the final step. This morning they looked a little less polished. The base coat always takes ages to apply and always looks worse than terrible. It saps the will to put the effort in to finsih because you look at that first step and say 'why bother, nothing can can improve this disaster.'

Am I basecoating wrong or does everyone's first step look like this? Marauders Base.jpg

HellLois, Xeurian, Abydog and 5 others like this.
  15. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

You’re doing nothing wrong. Base coat always takes ages to do right. You need thin layers over and over to get an even finish and full coverage. The model ends up looking messy and unimpressive. But you just need to get it done and out of the way before you can do the good stuff :-)

Abydog likes this.
  16. Sergei Simonov

Thanks. I will say that your thread has been a painting inspiration to me, though I am nowhere near ready to try to do yellow/orange colors.

Meanwhile, marauders ready to deploy! As my most overused Haris/Core it's a shock I have waited so long to start on these guys.

marauders.jpg

17. Sergei Simonov

So anyway I started blasting...

WBF Smallest.png

HellLois, Xeurian, Oni and 2 others like this.
  18. Soul Samurai

Soul Samurai Member

Very cool, that colour palette is perfect, and the shading really adds to the dynamic feel of the figure.

19. Sergei Simonov

In in the fine tradition of turning an Azaril into a Blackjack because I built it before the official mini came out. I recently had to strip and repaint it after a tragic freak varnish accident.

Blackjack finished.jpg
    And the tragic varnish accident:

BlackJack resized.jpg
    And the completed USARF new minis from this month:
    usarf quarantine finished small.jpg

20. Sergei Simonov

CA universal proxy

grief ops resized.png

HellLois, Erbent, Oni and 7 others like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation