1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linked Jammers: Super-broken, now in White Banner

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Savnock, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Bobman

Bobman MERC

Imo real life hardly ever pans out like the interwebs says. Don't let stuff like this stop you having a go. Find you're local scene and test the water.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  2. Vocenoctum

Vocenoctum Well-Known Member

No gatherings, no stores, nothing happening this month it seems! So not really a big delay. Or, like I said, may give CodeOne a run for a bit, get a feel for basics.

meikyoushisui and Bobman like this.
  3. Armihaul

Armihaul Well-Known Member

not exactly. This fallacy comes from using the "having more experience/knowledge" as argument instead of using good arguments, whoever does it. Another option are those that confuse their experiences as truth. For example:

- In my experience, I think X is too expensive <-- still not a fallacy because is just sharing experiences or stating an opinion, is ok but is nto an affirmation, so it still needs arguments to support that statement.
    - I have more experience, so X is too expensive <-- fallacy, because is making an statement. It doesn't matter what his experience is, he still needs to bring arguments to support his statements.
    - X dude does exactly the same work as Y, because this, this and this. <-- not a fallacy. The person can be mistaken, but is bringing his reason to support the statement, and this is what some "great experienced guys" usually don't do

Abrilete and Nuada Airgetlam like this.
  4. Xeurian

Xeurian Well-Known Member

They could always take it at a different angle and buff Engineers. Something like dropping the WIP roll for clearing status effects like Imm-1 and Isolated. Reserve the WIP roll for more complex operations like clearing Imm-2/Unconscious. Maybe even give them some new piece of equipment that lets them clear these "lower tier" statuses remotely... Like within ZoC of themselves and/or their helper bot.

Savnock likes this.
  5. Alfy

Alfy Well-Known Member

I’m sorry, but the fallacy is not about appealing to authority, that is a perfectly acceptable line of argumentation as long as certain criteria are met. Appeal to authority is not fallacious in and by itself in any way, it’s when those criteria are not met that the fallacy arises. You can check here for the detail:
    https://fallacyinlogic.com/appeal-to-authority-fallacy/
    (i guess that’s my own appeal to authority! :) )

RobertShepherd likes this.
  6. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

Armihaul is correct. The whole "He is the best player in XYZ region, so his opinion on Jammers has to be the correct one and yours doesn't matter" is exactly the appeal to authority fallacy. It's also a different statement than one made as "he is a very experienced player, so I trust his opinion" (with the underlying "unless my own experience says otherwise").

Savnock and Abrilete like this.
  7. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

For what it's worth, my first post in the thread was "I've had a chance to play a couple of games using the new linked jammers, and this is what my experience was..."

I'm not personally comfortable being labelled anything of whatever in XYZ region, not least because Australia has some absolutely cracking players who I well fear to face across the table, and I've had the good fortune to play some very good people online on TTS as well.

Berjiz, Cthulhu363, Savnock and 5 others like this.
  8. Alfy

Alfy Well-Known Member

Let me get this straight: in an aside about logic, argumentation and truth-equivalencies, you decide to come up with a statement that presents literally no argument whatsoever? Let me put it this way: academic and semi-academic articles tell me that this is not inherently a fallacy because no context is provided about the presupposed expertise. I believe those sources to be much more knowledgeable on the subject than you are, so I think you are wrong.

You are comparing two fictitious statements that you made up. The first one is purposefully blunt and callous, the second one very mild and deeply non-conflictual, but they actually broadly amount to the same. So just to be clear: a statement does not become fallacious just because it is framed bluntly or even impolitely.

#208 Alfy, Apr 2, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    Robock, Modock, Dragonstriker and 3 others like this.
  9. the huanglong

the huanglong Well-Known Member

Just make out already.

Without having ever used them or faced them, I can say with confidence, linked Jammers are broken everyone knows that, but they aren't OP in N3 White Banner (White Banner isn't shifting OSS and VIRD as the King and Queen of N3).

For the love of god CB, please let isolation state be cancelled on a successful reset.

10. RobertShepherd

Would you mind if I put this in my signature block?

jfunkd, Willen, Cthulhu363 and 2 others like this.
  11. the huanglong

Go for it. It would be funnier if the sentiment that followed wasn't true though.

12. MikeTheScrivener

MikeTheScrivener O-12 Peace Kepper

is this ironic or not?

no hate – just wondering

13. the huanglong

I never said it was OK to post it to your private Facebook group and with my handle still attached, without context though.

upload_2020-4-2_13-30-1.png

It's pretty obvious how this will be taken by anyone who didn't know the wider story of the post. Do you actually believe I lack credibility in this discussion, or disagree with what I said?

Which part of it?

#213 the huanglong, Apr 2, 2020
  14. RobertShepherd

Dagnabbit I didn't post that on the infinity AROposting page for exactly this reason.

To answer your question: I don't have any concerns about your credibility (or rather, I don't know you, but I have no issues extending the benefit of the doubt), but the sentence was a genuinely perfect reflection of how discussion on these forums has to be taken with a grain of salt. You literally began your sentence by acknowledging that you have no direct experience with the topic of discussion, but then more or less ruled out the possibility of changing your mind. That's a position that's functionally impossible to engage with. By comparison, I have played with the model in question, but you're speaking with confidence, so here we are. I gotta just laugh.

For my part, I have several more situations I want to try the Tian Gao in (scenario and OpFor variations primarily), but the games I've played with it so far haven't given me any particular pause for concern. It's been good, but no better than I'd expect any 24-25pt model to be. At this point I'm actually more excited about the 2nd Division profiles after a discussion with a friend from NZ highlighted them to me.

jfunkd, smog, Cthulhu363 and 5 others like this.
  15. RobertShepherd

Also @the huanglong if we could chill the fuck out with the doxxing, that'd be fucking great, thanks. I'm generally reasonably chill with that sort of stuff and being contacted via different platforms but let's keep it to a limit.

#215 RobertShepherd, Apr 2, 2020
    Savnock, Lesh' and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  16. the huanglong

Don't play the victim here, I post my blog updates on a bunch of Facebook with my real name. It would take 5 minutes for anyone who cared to work out who @the huanglong that you are setting up for ridicule is.

#216 the huanglong, Apr 2, 2020
  17. RobertShepherd

'It wouldn't bother me if someone did it to me' has never been an acceptable excuse for, like, anything that violates personal boundaries.

I don't mind you having a crack, but literally just trim the top of the image by a margin or scribble on it or some shit. It's not especially hard.

18. the huanglong

It's not "It wouldn't bother me", it's that it did bother me when you did something comparable, and now you complain at the reverse. You can pretend like you are anonymous here but we both know it's bullshit. The online spaces for Infinity make for a tightly overlapped Venn Diagram and you know it. Anyway, I've scrubbed your name and face off the picture for all the difference it will make.

19. Lambanator

Lambanator Member

Nah mate, you are definitely on the wrong side here. You haven't come across at all in a positive light.

20. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

Just a quick rundown of some numbers (rounded only for easy of viewing).

Base Numbers (Hypothetical BS13 Jammer vs. Hypothetical WIP13 Target)
    Jammer (WIP13, B1) vs. Reset (WIP13, BTS0): 29% Jammer, 29% Nothing, 42% Reset.
    Jammer (WIP13, B1) vs. Reset (WIP13, BTS3): 23.5% Jammer, 34.25% Nothing, 42.25% Reset.
    Jammer (WIP13, B1) vs. Reset (WIP13, BTS6): 18% Jammer, 40% Nothing, 42% Reset.

Tian Gou @ Jammer, Unlinked
    Jammer (WIP14, B1) vs. Reset (WIP13, BTS0): 32% Jammer, 29% Nothing, 39% Reset.
    Jammer (WIP14, B1) vs. Reset (WIP13, BTS3): 26% Jammer, 35% Nothing, 39% Reset.
    Jammer (WIP14, B1) vs. Reset (WIP13, BTS6): 20% Jammer, 41% Nothing, 39% Reset.

Tian Gou @ Jammer, 5 Man
    Jammer (WIP17, B2) vs. Reset (WIP13, BTS0): 63% Jammer, 20% Nothing, 17% Reset.
    Jammer (WIP17, B2) vs. Reset (WIP13, BTS3): 54% Jammer, 29% Nothing, 17% Reset.
    Jammer (WIP17, B2) vs. Reset (WIP13, BTS6): 42% Jammer, 41% Nothing, 17% Reset.

Kriigel @ Eraser
    Eraser (WIP13, B2) vs. Reset (WIP13 (-3), BTS0): 67% Eraser, 14% Nothing, 19% Reset.
    Eraser (WIP13, B2) vs. Reset (WIP13 (-3), BTS3): 61% Eraser, 20% Nothing, 19% Reset.
    Eraser (WIP13, B2) vs. Reset (WIP13 (-3), BTS6): 51% Eraser, 30% Nothing, 19% Reset.

At first I accidentally ran the Kriigel numbers without DT Ammo, which put it below the linked Jammer. I realized my mistake and reran the numbers, which unsurprisingly matched up with exactly what I speculated above -- Eraser is favored in the active turn even over a linked Jammer. To toot my own horn for a second, the reason I suspected this would happen is because of the relatively low DAM value on the Jammer and on Eraser -- you have to be able to force more saves to make up for the low burst of the weapon.

So I think this entire conversation is moot unless we're willing to agree the game has been super broken since Spiral Corp's release. Remember that the Kriigel doesn't even need to link to get full use of Eraser. His cheapest profile clocks in at only 24 points. The Tian Gou, on the other hand, will have to carry around a minimum of an extra 44 points of Zhanshi (total minimum cost 68 points -- almost triple the Kriigel) to get the same benefit. Yes, obviously Pheroware has its own drawbacks (can't target units with STR), but for the stuff it can hit (i.e., most units in the game), Eraser is significantly more effective.

#220 meikyoushisui, Apr 2, 2020
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation