1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Archangeleong's Army Log: Yu Jing

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by archangeleong, Feb 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

Thanks guy,s much appreciated!

Bostria would lose his mind lol!!!

Hac Tao is pricey but effective. Plus cool. Every Yu Jing player should have one lol!

Tibooper and Stuffist like this.
  2. archangeleong

Sure.

Taking photos is tricky and I'm still no expert (but my pics are ok just using an average iphone camera but other forum members are much better at taking pics than me:- see Zapp’s work for great photos). Look online for tutorials (there are plenty).

My tips are:

1. One tip is lighting. Make sure you use white daylight bulbs and not warm yellow light. Position the lights in front of and above the miniature. Also the bulbs I use for painting are too bright for photos so i need to add a filter over the light (just wrap a white t-shirt over your lamp).

2. Another tip is steady the phone near your model and get up close (don't zoom in). I have my miniatures on a shelf so I just position them where I want and rest my hand holding the phone on the edge of the shelf to stop it wobbling.

3. Last tip is to choose a good background (terrain, prints, black sheet etc) and crop your photo so you don't see ugly things like desk and random model bits and paint and most of all no fingers (I hate seeing fingers holding miniatures! So ugly and unprofessional).

Hope this helps.

#42 archangeleong, Mar 13, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    Joametz and Red Harvest like this.
  3. archangeleong

INFINITY YU JING INVINCIBLE ARMY: Hac Tao (Hacker)
    [​IMG]

Hac Tao (Hacker)
    Got the Hac Tao Hacker done despite the impending end of the world due to COVID 19 lol! Highlights for me in painting this guy was getting the light source right for the NNM black armour (mostly realistic with a touch of miniature highlights to make the details pop), plus doing the OSL from the sword. I'm not that confident with OSL but I feel like I have done a good job on this one and it looks quite natural (Not too over the top or too understated... just right).

Anyways these Baddasses are done and ready for action (not likely at the same time in the same list mind you given their price tag). My Yu Jing batch one are nearly finished...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hac Tao Bad Boys
    [​IMG]

4. Stuffist

Stuffist Well-Known Member

Sexy as fuck. Incredibly good job!

5. archangeleong

Thanks. Very pleased how they turned out. It was a big challenge working with these colours.

6. archangeleong

INFINITY YU JING INVINCIBLE ARMY: Mowang
    [​IMG]

Stave off your quarantine blues and paint a mini or 2...

Mowang
    This Big Bad bruiser was my last mini to paint in the first wave of my IA. He marks the end of my IA project one and the start of global quarantine lol! It took four long sessions to paint this guy and then a bit of touching up later on. The freehand icons and tank took so long to do - around four hours! Happy with the tanks on the back as they required very tricky NNM metallic blending. Also very pleased with the light sourcing on the armour (I don't bother with zenithal undercoat, I just study the model intently before I paint it, use real light, plus logic to work out where the light will hit the model and then add a little artistic licence to make thing s pop). In fact I pulled out many techniques in this one guy including OSL, stippling, wet blending, NNM, freehand, dry brushing... pretty much the lot. That's why I left him till last so I could practice on all his buddies first.

My IA is done for the time being, yay! Or is it? Wave 2 is on the way shortly...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pedrogzc, LeGweg, burlesford and 17 others like this.
  7. Stuffist

I always found the Mowang's helmet weird ... until I saw yours.
    Dude, I'm close to change the scheme of my IA minis at the last minute to copy your black/dark grey/orange.

8. KwarkyMats

KwarkyMats Well-Known Member

Same here! It makes a lot more sense to me now.

@archangeleong your minis are all extremely dope. Keep up the good work!

9. archangeleong

INFINITY YU JING INVINCIBLE ARMY: Yan Huo (HMC)
    [​IMG]

Yan Huo (HMC)
    When I was looking at starting a new army these guys were a big drawcard for me to Yu Jing. It turns out that IA has all my favourite Yu Jing units, so I was all in. My first wave are done and I'm going to work on a small 2nd batch of guys during the start of this world wide quarantine and Yan Huos are front and centre.

The HMC Yan Huo has arguably the most powerful gun in the game so this guy was just an auto-include. After reading about this powerful guy in an article by The Dice Abide (Excellent Infinity unit articles here by the way) I just had to paint one up next. I used all my skills learned so far on my IA army on this guy and am happy with how he turned out, especially the freehand, which I updated compared to the studio models. Pew Pew!...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More Pics of this Guy: https://archangelelonginfinitythegame.blogspot.com/2020/03/infinity-yu-jing-invincible-army-yan.html

pedrogzc, LeGweg, burlesford and 10 others like this.
  10. archangeleong

Thanks guys. I had trouble making out the head too looking at the studio model. It made more sense after I had the actual model in my hand.

Stuffist likes this.
  11. Stuffist

That's the boy that got me into this game. Your paint is as always gorgeous, making him looking as badass as he deserves. Well done.
    I might only challenge the red lenses: I personnally prefer green or blue ones, but maybe those won't make it with the general scheme?

I would also consider a yellow/black strips stuff on the rotating cannons, warning people of the hazard coming for them. You know what I mean?

12. archangeleong

INFINITY YU JING INVINCIBLE ARMY: Yan Huo (Missile Launcher)

[​IMG]

Yan Huo (Missile Launcher)
    The other big guy joins the party, Although he kinda looks normal size now compared to the Mowang lol! I was considering taking a break from Yu Jing, vowing to finish all my minis in the first quarter of 2020, but I just had to have Yan Huos as I couldn't resist having their big guns lend support to my IA. I collect armies based on the models I like and for Yu Jing it is Yan Huos, Hac Taos and Guijias that have sold me on the army, plus it doesn't hurt that the basic heavy infantry, Zuyongs are pretty cool looking too.

As for painting the Missile Launcher guy it wasn't much different from doing the HMC guy, just took a bit longer due to the twin missiles and the targeting cables. I find that minis mostly take longer to paint is a result of their size and surface area to cover - bigger taking longer than smaller. However freehand designs can really draw things out and that this is all that I find really daunting when doing freehand. I.e. it's not the freehand itself that's unnerving, just the length of time it takes to complete a model that is hard to overcome. But I'm always glad with the results when I get over my own laziness.

I find it best just to take breaks between painting sessions and that helps me get past these mental hurdles. For example when I did this Yan Huo I broke it into painting sessions as follows: 1. Base colours, 2. Yellow body; 3. Black/Grey body; 4. Cables; 5. Missiles; 6. Lights; 7. Freehand triangles/numbers and finally 8. Freehand stripes. These sessions were split across one week and voila by the weekend I have a pretty cool looking Yan Huo with missile Launchers sitting on the display shelf! Hope this little insight into painting psychology helps you hobbyists out there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yan Huo Demolition Team!
    [​IMG]

When is Big big enough?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More Pics at: https://archangelelonginfinitythega.../infinity-yu-jing-invincible-army-yan_27.html

13. Chaserabinov

Chaserabinov Well-Known Member

Looks briliant :)

archangeleong likes this.
  14. Law Dawg

Law Dawg Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, do you use an airbrush? How much time do you spend for each session? Do you also shade and highlight in each session or do it in the end?

15. archangeleong

I’m too lazy to clean my airbrush so I only use brushes lol!

I paint all base colors first, then I wash shading over them. This stage is when things are a bit messy.

After that I work on each section and clean it up and correct mistakes with blending and highlighting to the brightest colour.

16. archangeleong

INFINITY YU JING INVINCIBLE ARMY: Krit Kokram
    [​IMG]
    Krit Kokram

So this is the last guy in my second Yu Jing batch. I wanted to add a face to this army as they were all helmeted so far. It's hard not to like this cool gunslinger Invincible. A Thai one no less, bringing a bit of ethnic diversity to the army. He was fun to paint but it will be nice to take a break from power armour for a while.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LeGweg, burlesford, Tibooper and 11 others like this.
  17. archangeleong

YU JING PAINTING GUIDE: YAN HUO
    [​IMG]

Hi Guys, I thought I'd end my first Yu Ying project by putting together a painting guide. It's too long for the forum pages so please check it out on my blog if you are interested in how I painted the classic Yu Jing yellow/orange on my army:

https://archangelelonginfinitythegame.blogspot.com/2020/04/yu-jing-painting-guide-yan-huo.html

The guide goes over the Vallejo colour palette used on how to do classic Yu Jing Yellow/Orange. As well as the tips I use for breaking down a model and painting it as efficiently as possible. I list about 17 stages of painting with pics for all of them. Took me ages to write up but I hope sharing it will help some of you guys out there with their painting :-)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

I'd definitely be interested in a freehand tutorial down the line, if you have time.

19. archangeleong

no prob. I’ll try to do it some time soon

RobertShepherd likes this.
  20. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Just came here from your excellent nomads to look at more gorgeous minis. I was just thinking while looking through your IA "I wish he did a tutorial of how he does that" – and there it is, right at the end! Very helpful guide. I just have two questions:

1. How do you still manage to pull all that off in just 5-6 days per (huge) mini? I know I know, you answered it before, I'm simply incredulous ;)

2. How do you do those stripy highlights on the metal? You call it stippling in your guide, but isn't that technique more like little dots? how do you get these super fine stripes? It looks hella cool.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation