1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GW Colour Advice for Yu Jing

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Emloch, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Emloch

Emloch New Member

Hi All,

I purchased the Red Veil set and I'm excited to get these painted and play. I plan to keep the traditional colour scheme for my Yu Jing. However, I am heavily invested in Citadel paints, so I want to use them rather than acquiring Vallejo paints.

I found that Tau Light Ochre is a suitable match for the orange armour, though I struggle with zoning in on the greenish colour of their clothing. The Yu Jing Vallejo paint set has Heavy black green and Periscopes as their colours but the Red Veil book has Heavy Black Green and Turquoise as the colours used

Ultimately, does anyone have a recommendation for suitable Citadel paint colours to mimic the Yu Jing clothing colour? Thanks!

2. BenMoss

BenMoss Well-Known Member

I'd start by checking something like this:
    https://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

I'd be using Skrag Brown as my base coat and I guess the Tau Light Ochre is as good a highlight as any.

Waaagh! Flesh is supposedly the equivalent of Heavy Black Green and I'd probably try pairing that with Sotek Green.

3. Emloch

Emloch New Member

I've looked at several compatibility charts (including that one) but I find that they're not very accurate. I believe I have Sotek green and I'll look into Waaagh Flesh. Thanks for the tip.

4. Ravenking

Ravenking Member

Hey there I started off painting all my Yu Jing with GW paints. I found the best result by starting with black primer then putting white primer as a highlight. I then used Troll slayer orange as the base colour spraying all over the model. Then I switched to Yriel yellow and airbrushed it on at a 45 degree angle. You can vary the hue by how much of the yriel yellow you put one. For the final layer I used Flash Gitz Yellow as a highlight go very light with this colour

Emloch likes this.
  5. sevsterino

sevsterino Well-Known Member

I believe you cannot achieve the same color with the Citadel line as with Vallejo. The good news is that you really just need 2 or three Vallejo paints to get the "unique" YJ colors and for the rest, you can use GW Citadel. That would be around 6 dollars/euros. For the armor, you need 70.981 Orange Brown as a base and 72.038 Scrofulous Brown. For cloth, any opaque heavy green mixed 50/50 with Periscopes (70.309).

So all you need are these three:
    70.309 Periscopes
    70.981 Orange Brown
    72.038 Scrofulous Brown

Emloch and archangeleong like this.
  6. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

While not exactly YJ models...

Those are off-white zenithal airbrushed on black primer. GW Averland Sunset airbrushed over that. Another off-white highlight, hit with aibrushed Yriel Yellow from the top. At the same time, the models were hit with airbrushed Cassandora Yellow (wash as filter) for that saturated yellow - once all over to pump saturation, then genetly once again from the bottom to get the orange shadows.

The blacklining is just basic black oil paint wash over gloss varnish, but that's beside the point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

8. Nuada Airgetlam

That's way duller and more brown than I'd go.

Also, Nazdreg Yellow Contrast over Wraithbone should be more or less that.

9. Mahtamori

I can tell :p

Nazdreg Yellow makes for a somewhat dirtier look. I use it to repair my miniatures when I have smaller patches that gets chipped. The bright colour gets fairly close to Scrofulous-on-white, but the recesses when using Nazdreg is more similar to a slightly yellow-ish Vallejo Brown Ink (which I use as foundation before dry-brushing Scofulous)
    Contrast tends to pool more than my regular drybrush-on-ink technique, leaving a sharper transition between highlights and recesses, so I can't really repair larger areas with it.

Nuada Airgetlam likes this.
  10. Nuada Airgetlam

Use a 50-50 mix with the Contrast Medium (never a regular acryllic medium, use the dedicated product), you will be surprised how nicely it flows then.

11. Mahtamori

Good advice, I will keep that in mind. Sadly I'm basically done with my Dahshat :(

But still, I'd expect the stuff to have sharper transitions that drybrushing does :)

Nuada Airgetlam likes this.
  12. Stormygeddon

Stormygeddon Well-Known Member

Sons of Horus Green, and Stegadon Scale Green are your closest bets for a single base color to represent the rich dark turquoise that Yu Jing is known for its use in the cloth and alternate armor parts. I personally use P3's coal black for it. For the armour I very much recommend getting Scrofulous brown anyways, but overall I think you can get close with skrag brown, tau light ochre, and ungor flesh. I also highly recommend putting a layer of pink (screamer pink or Emperor's Children) before you do your orange brown to give it a richer tone and smoother coverage. It's also worth noting that in the past the official scheme used a more traditional olive green for the cloth parts instead of the jade turquoise used now. Most recent example off the top of my head.

Emloch likes this.
  13. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

GW Incubi Darkness is very close tonally to P3 Coal Black - they primarily differ in lightness. Either one is a good base for a dark green/blue-black scheme such as the studio Yu Jing fabric.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation