1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to tabletop simulator?

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by QueensGambit, Mar 17, 2020.

1. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

I'm afraid I'm internet stupid, and hoping someone can tell me how to set up tabletop simulator to play infinity online. I can't even find tabletop simulator on Steam. When I search for it I get a bunch of "tabletop simulator - zombicide" and the like, but no entry to just download tabletop simulator itself. I'm sure it's very obvious and I'm just missing something, but... help please?

Bazlord Prime and Daniel Darko like this.
  2. dhellfox

dhellfox The keeper of the Forgotten

if you can only find the zombified addon click on it, at the very top in a purple box there should be some text saying you need tabletop sim to play. click on the text and should take you to the right store page.

beyond that i cant help finding it as i already own it, i hope that helps

Xeurian likes this.
  3. QueensGambit

That worked, thanks! Turns out it wasn't showing up in my search because I'd previously "ignore"d it.

4. Vaulsc

Vaulsc Well-Known Member

I made a tutorial on youtube for this just over a year ago, but will be making a fresh new one tonight.

5. QueensGambit

Any chance of a written tutorial for those of us who don't do well with oral formats?

6. QueensGambit

Ok so I've installed Tabletop Simulator. I've "subscribed" to the "Corvus Belli's Infinity" content in Steam Workshop. I don't really know what "subscribe" means in this context but it said that was what I had to click to download the content, and it does seem to have downloaded. What do I do next? I ran Tabletop Simulator but I can't find anywhere to click to run the Infinity module.

This stuff is probably second nature to anyone who plays online games, but it takes a global quarantine to get me to play online games so it's all new to me!

7. Vaulsc

Vaulsc Well-Known Member

in steam workshop, search the term 'infinity the game'. It'll give you a list of things. One of them is by me, many of them are done by 'ming' who is a member on my discord community. Subscribe to everything infinity related. When you're in the main tabletop simulator menu, these subscriptions will now be available in the workshop list. You can click on them and open them as saved game instances. This will populate your room with things we have pre-prepared for infinity use, like tables that contain all the miniatures we've made, or pre-set rooms with maps, stuff like that. But yeah, head to discord and communicate with people there as there are a lot of helpers.

Abydog and smog like this.
  8. QueensGambit

Ok! Subscribed to all the things, ran TTS. Loaded something called "N3 Map" or something along those lines. Successfully loaded a table in the middle of a city street, with some nice-looking scenery on it and various quick reference charts along the edges. Progress!

It popped up a dialog called "Custom model" which wanted me to import a bunch of things but gave me an error message for each one. I'm not sure if that's a problem.

I also installed the Discord app and created an account, but I'm not sure what it is or how to use it. It seems to somehow know that I installed it for Infinity purposes because it's given me a list of Infinity-related topics - chat rooms?

What's my next step?

9. Vaulsc

Vaulsc Well-Known Member

Try using this link to join my group https://discord.gg/jdaZAxt and then navigate to the 'infinity' chat room and ask the guys your TTS questions. Don't be offended if there are no immediate replies, people look at this chat on and off

10. QueensGambit

For my memory and the benefit of anyone else trying to figure this out, here's what I've learned so far:
    - At the TTS main page, click "create."
    - Click "single player" (I'll figure out how to play against an opponent later!)
    - Click the large "Workshop" button
    - Click the "Corvus Belli's Infinity button
    - This will load a table which looks like it has a lot of great tools on it. The first time it will take a while to load.

That's as far as I've gotten tonight. Tomorrow I'll get back at it and no doubt have more stupid questions! Fortunately I have lots of free time because, plague.

11. Vaulsc

Vaulsc Well-Known Member

And here's the latest tutorial:

12. QueensGambit

What I've learned so far: setting up a game

- Run TTS and click the big "create" button.
    - Click "multiplayer."
    - Invent a server name and password. This is the info your opponent will need to connect to the game.
    - Set "max players" to 2.
    - Click "create server."
    - Click the big "workshop" button.
    - Click "Corvus Belli's Infinity."
    - A table will load.
    - Click your username in the upper right corner of the screen.
    - Click "change color" and set your colour to blue.
    - Set up a new map if desired. The table on the left has a note with instructions on how to do so. For now I'm just going to test out the default map.

- Right-click on the black hexagon on the table edge below the "click to roll" button. Select one die from the resulting menu, and drag it onto the "click to roll" button. The die should disappear.

#12 QueensGambit, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  13. QueensGambit

What I've learned so far: deployment

- The table on the right has a collection of boxes, one for each faction. Mouseover them and the faction name will come up.
    - Right-click on your faction box and select "Search." A menu of units will appear.
    - For each unit in your army list, left click the appropriate icon and drag it to the table. You can collect your units at the edge of the table first, like you would in real life, before moving them into position.
    - Units not yet on the table can be placed in the blue or red box on your edge of the table. Anything in the box is visible to you but not your opponent. Leave them there until it's time to deploy them.
    - To change a model's facing, hover the mouse over it to highlight it. Then press "q" and "e" to rotate it. Facing is marked on the model bases.

Apparently, you can create a list in advance by dragging a bunch of units into the blue or red box next to the faction boxes. When done, right-click on the box and select "save object." You can load the list when it's time to play. I haven't tried this yet.

14. QueensGambit

To deploy a unit in marker state without revealing it to your opponent, first move it to your coloured box where your opponent can't see it. Then change it to marker state (see "model states" below). Then move it to the table.

#14 QueensGambit, Mar 18, 2020
  15. QueensGambit

What I've learned so far: looking at the table

The default perspective mode is "third-person perspective."
    - Move the viewpoint with the ASWD keys.
    - Change camera angle by dragging with the right mouse button.
    - Zoom in and out with the mouse scroll wheel.

There are also top-down and first-person perspectives. Press P to toggle between the three perspectives.

To remove a building's roof, right click it, then use pgup and pgdown to change its state.

To point something out to your opponent, press Tab to generate an arrow at your current mouse position.

#15 QueensGambit, Mar 18, 2020
  16. QueensGambit

What I've learned so far: movement

- Near the upper right of the screen, there's a button with a guy lifting weights, called "lift height." Reduce this to 0 so that you can slide models along the ground when you move them.
    - To move a model, left click on it and hold. Then also hold down Tab. A ruler will appear measuring movement distance.

#16 QueensGambit, Mar 18, 2020
  17. QueensGambit

What I've learned so far: model states, line of fire

Each model has multiple "states" it can be in. State 1 is the model itself. State 2 is the unit's silhouette volume. If the unit is capable of a marker state such as camo, then state 2 doubles as that state. A few units have three states (for example, an impersonator has model, imp-1, and imp-2).

To change a model's state, hover over it or right-click on it and press 1, 2, or 3.

Checking LoF is not automated in TTS. You have to do it by eye, moving the camera around. This is much easier to do if you put both models in state 2 to show their silhouettes.

For checking LoF around corners, you can also press P to switch to top-down view, then use the ruler tool to check whether a straight line can connect the models. However, this only works in the horizontal plane.

Buildings also have states, which represent versions of them with the roof removed. Change a building's state to easily see what's inside. Beware, though, any models on the roof will fall to the ground if you remove the roof.

The game table itself also has a state 2 which shows the deployment zones.

18. QueensGambit

Rolling dice:
    Rapidly click the "click to roll" button. The system will then roll one die for each click. The results appear briefly in the middle of the screen, but then are in the bottom left of the screen.

Orders:
    Hover over an order marker and press "F" to flip it. Use flips to indicate which orders have been spent.

Classified deck:
    Just drag a card off the top of the deck to draw it. Move it to your coloured box before flipping it, so your opponent can't see it.

19. QueensGambit

Communication:

TTS doesn't have a chat feature. You arrange whatever voice connection you like with your opponent. Apparently a lot of players use software called "Discord." I'm not going to try to figure out Discord right now, as I'll try some games with local players and probably just use a phone. Anyway, the voice connection isn't done through TTS.

EDIT: Apparently TTS does have a chat feature, but nobody uses it.

#19 QueensGambit, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    ArcadianDreamer likes this.
  20. Vaulsc

Vaulsc Well-Known Member

TTS does have a chat feature, which can be useful if you have a third person spectating who isn't in discord with you. But everyone does use discord for arranging games and voice chat. Especially because that's where the TTS community for infinity and Aristeia already is. Note that there are two main discord channels, one from the guys who did the mods for both games, and one for me and my YT following (and league).

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation