1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kaldstrom Minis - Pics

Discussion in 'News' started by barakiel, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Papa Bey

Papa Bey Clueless Wonder. Still.

Oh for looks alone for sure.

2. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

While I can empathize that being harassed because of weight size isn't a good thing, the Fat Yuan Yuan isn't actually about making fun of fat people or "fat shaming".
    The concept of him was born because it was mocking the group of people who promote "fat positivity" and it openly mocks the fact that some people perceive it as a negative, that soldiers who are displayed as being in peak physical condition is somehow an offensive thing.
    The Yuan Yuan takes this concept to the extreme, by displaying how ridiculous it is to suggest that a morbidly obese man would have no issues being a paratrooper, compared to the "skinny" soldiers.
    Furthermore, he was also made even more purposely off putting in appearance to make the joke that his "beauty standards" where just as good as an attractive super model. Really, he's a combination of many things.

Eventually one thing led to another, and CB embraced the joke and actually decided to sculpt what started as a meme fanart.

Dragonstriker, saint, zapp and 2 others like this.
  3. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

Aaaand you've proven my point. Mocking body positivity is disgusting, ableist and some other things I will not even get into unpacking of.

You just don't get to mock people for what they look like or the fact that they are happy with the body they have.

Whether you're a company or a person.

4. Nuada Airgetlam

For example, I have zero issues with both variants of the 8-Ball Aristeia mini. He's "fat", but he's also shown as capable, strong, cool - he's massive but a powerful warrior.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In turn, both Fat Yuan Yuan are purposefully made to look like idiots specifically through the lens of their "fat and eating" characteristic. One has a "fart jetpack" (so creative, facepalm), the other can't keep himself from chugging on fast food.

What's even worse, they're directly compared to the slim and handsome Yuan Yuan design (model and drawings). They have the same face, the same hair, etc - they look like a dumb "warning" of "don't be an overindulgent fat pig like those two, you need to be slim and nimble to be as cool as this guy!".

And that's fat shaming 101.

[​IMG]

Yog.0 likes this.
  5. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

That depends very much on the context. Laughing about an obese person for the sake of it is disgusting, I agree.
    But as soon as someone promotes obesity as a healthy and harmless lifestyle choice, they must be contradicted and mocked to make a point. Obesity is a massive health concern in every single case and very often connected to some sort of mental disorder or addiction. Even if they are "happy" with being obese themselves, it's still irresponsible to promote obesity in public.

As for Fat Yuan Yuan, it's more of an Infinity meme turned reality than a political statement. The sculpt is well realized and does look pretty badass, in my opinion.

6. Varred

Varred Well-Known Member

Yes, mocking a person be cause he/she is fat is disgusting and shouldn't be tolerated.

On the other hand, if You want to tell me, that someone as obese as the depiction of Fat Yuan Yuan is as capable as the slim version in combat the you are a lunatic.

Promoting obesity as a lifestyle choice should be banned and prosecuted as much as other dangerous options such as serious use of alcohol, drugs and overuse of prescribed medicine. It is as harmful to the body and mind.

Let me tell you, after weighing close to a hundred kg and feeling like shot cause i had problem to run up a flight of stairs, I cant remember if i have ever felt better than after hitting the Gym for a couple of months and loosing almost 20 kg in the process.

That should be promoted, getting back the healthy weight and body condition, fighting for that every day of every week. Not eating too much and feeling good about it.

That is why i think fat Yuan Yuan is a well pointed and executed mockery.

Cause it mocks the philosophy behind an unhealthy choice in life, not the fat preson themselves

7. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

No I haven't, if anything, you're proving that you don't understand what is being said.

The reason why I quoted the following text from you:
    "They know they are "fat" and need no reminders."

Is because that is exactly NOT the kind of people the Fat Yuan Yuan is mocking. That quote shows an understanding of being obese is not a positive thing AND that people who are obese understands that it's their body and this has (for the most part) come about due to their own actions. HOWEVER, there are those who wish to push the idea that being morbidly obese is a good thing and has no ramifications on health, which promotes something that is actively dangerous, despite scientific evidence (not unlike anti-vaccine people). THOSE are the people the Fat Yuan Yuan mocks.

This is comparable when GW mocked PETA for releasing an article on how to sculpt fur on miniatures, in response to their ridiculous claim that Space Wulves (amongst others) had fur on their sculpts.
    The response from GW wasn't GW supporting cruel and barbarous treatment of animals, and therefore mocking the creatures, but rather to ridicule those who attempts to push their views on others, despite the fact that they are doing no wrong and aren't harming anyone. This is the exact same thing the Fat Yuan Yuan stands for, since the inception of the meme, and no amount of outrage will ever change that.

Oh, and one more thing:
    It really isn't. It's really about being a normal sensible person. I would mock any person who told me that smoking while pregnant has no negative side effect. I would mock any person who told me that vaccines are dangerous. I would mock any person who told me that gay people need to be electrocuted in order to be cured from "the gay".

Mocking something that is openly dangerous or detrimental to the human race and/or society is the only correct response.

#247 Zewrath, Mar 15, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  8. SockLobster

SockLobster Well-Known Member

Body positivity isn't promotion of obesity, it's promotion of supporting people's mental health re: their body image...

Regardless I think Corvus just liked the fan-art and thought they were doing a cute community involvement thing

ev0k, Melchior and Florian Hanke like this.
  9. Nuada Airgetlam

OK, so in an effort to mock people with an extreme stance you're fine affecting everyone under the same "fat" bracket.

Still not cool.

SockLobster likes this.
  10. Nuada Airgetlam

^ This.

Seems really tone deaf though.

SockLobster likes this.
  11. SockLobster

Oh for sure tone deaf, speaking of which (and back on topic) I'm crossing my fingers that defiance character Uma Sorensen's fluff isnt reflected in sval's troops - I would really rather not field a white nationalist group - even if it is a fictional white nationalist movement from a cyber viking snow planet

Melchior likes this.
  12. Varred

Varred Well-Known Member

The case i am making is, If some idy is morbidly obese and it is affecting his physical health, that person should not feel good about himself, nor should he be assured that all is cool and there is nothing to worry about. Cause there is...

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  13. SockLobster

Okay well the cool fat space pirate miniature isn't exactly a cautionary tale...

Corvus evidently don't share your opinion re: bodily autonomy.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  14. Alfy

Alfy Well-Known Member

« In the far future, Earth factions fight each other in secret skirmishes using the highest tech available to mankind: thermo-optic camouflage, super ballistic-resistant powered armor, automated bots armed with missile launchers, and jackets made from luxury cashmere. Because it looks good and it diffuses the heat. »

ev0k, Abrilete and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  15. Nuada Airgetlam

That's an edge case I've dealt with in my initial post though.

This is way more of a "broad brush" mockery and in general mockery is never the answer. Even in your case above, education and activating those people is the answer, not mockery.

16. Varred

Varred Well-Known Member

Any case of 'i am fat cause i like it' no matter how fat it actually is, should be at least concerning for people cloes to the individual. Body positivity should be applied if there is no other way i.e. a medical condition that cause the situation

17. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

Knights are the opposite of interesting to me but I am glad that the sculpts are cool and dynamic

The YJ minis are undeniably absolutely beautiful and remind me of a few years ago, around Operation RV, when YJ designs were coming out that just blew the rest of the range away. So nice.

18. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

[​IMG]

No... You're going out of your way to misinterpret something and assuming malicious intent because your mind is already made up.

I'm not mocking general muslims if I mock ISIS. I'm not mocking all women if I mock overzealous feminists. I'm not mocking all vegans if I'm mocking PETA.

I actually don't agree with this either. I can be as glad as I want, if I weight 50 kilos or 500 kilos. As a responsible adult, I own my body and I take responsibility for what I consume and how that affects my weight. This is similar to smoking, I could enjoy smoking and I understand that it's an unhealthy habbit, but it is up to me to decide. HOWEVER, if I take the view that NOTHING is unhealthy about smoking or obesity, and start reaching out to kids on social media, that morbid obesity and smoking is perfectly fine and you should basically be a glutton sloth then yes, I will start taking issue with that.

Dragonstriker, Guardian and Knauf like this.
  19. Sangarn

Sangarn TRIUMcorp CEO
    Warcor

tbh I'm more concern about ultra anorexic women in heavy armor xD

20. Nuada Airgetlam

And you won't find disagreement with me here, either.

My point is rather, that if you then start using mockery instead of education and trying to resolve the underlying issues that got that particular person the way they are (fat) and then their self-defense mechanism kicked in and said "fuck it, I can either be fat and depressed or fat and happy about it", pushing them towards depression with the mockery achieves fuck all.

Compassion, understanding, education, etc. achieve way more.

Mahtamori and Xeurian like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation