1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speculation: Possible Changes to Units with the new Design Paradigm

Discussion in 'Haqqislam' started by Brokenwolf, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Brokenwolf

Brokenwolf Well-Known Member

NOTE: This is pure speculation based on the EIC 2020 video that was released today ().

So N4 is moving away from nested skills. For example, they showed how 3ed TO Camo would change to:
    • Camouflage
    • Hidden Deployment
    • Minetism -6
    • Surprised Attack- 3
    • Stealth
    Carlos mentioned such a change would allow more flexibility in unit design. That sounds awesome and would allow units in N4 have more variety. So I was thinking, what about Tuareqs? It always felt weird fluffwise that they had TO Camo, as that was always an advance technology that did not fit with the unit's description. With the new design paradigm I could see them changing to the following:
    • Camouflage
    • Hidden Deployment
    • Minetism -3
    • Surprised Attack - 6
    • Stealth
    Which could be a cool design (If they were made cheaper, of course). What other changes could you imagine for Haqqislam units under N4?

Xeurian and loricus like this.
  2. DukeofEarl

DukeofEarl Well-Known Member

I don't even play Haqq and that was the first unit I thought of

loricus and Brokenwolf like this.
  3. AssaultUnicorn

AssaultUnicorn KTS is the best unit

Honestly, with the new modular nature that they are leaning towards, they can do literally anything in terms of skills.

I am a bit worried about non-camo mimetism-only gunfighters like Kaplans. They may very well drop their Mimetism down to -1 due to them not being stealth-oriented troops. Also, it does affect the way fire ammo works against camo troops since right now it downgrades camo to mimetism, and if a TO-camo unit is going to have mimetism -6, it means the -6 modifier is going to stay instead of downgrading to -3. I also think that in light of these changes some heavier TO-camo units like Hac Tao and Swiss Guard are going to either lose Hidden Deployment, or the camo marker or stealth.

By contrast, that would make MSV1 units more interesting provided that piece of equipment doesn't get changed. This would mean that, whatever level of Mimetism the target has, the visor's gonna negate it all, even if it's -6 or -9.

Savnock likes this.
  4. calza27

calza27 Cold-steel

I would imagine msv would become msv +3, msv +6, where the number indicates how much of a mimetism bonus the visor negates.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Savnock likes this.
  5. KedzioR_vo

KedzioR_vo Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I also immediately thought about Tuareg - I think CB is going to differ them from the more advanced TO units, like Spektres or Proxys. And I'm a bit concerned about what will happen.
    TBH I would rather loose the Hidden Deployment than not having -6 to be hit... Still we'll see.

I think that this is a good way to differ some units, like making Libertos sligthly worse - they should be changed a bit.

I'm very interested how our CAMO guys will be changed - which will still be having all the perks of the current camo and which will loose some of those advantages. Like what will be left for our humble, cheap and great Hunzakut.

I hope that the changes won't be to vast, because I really like our infiltrators (and the whole Haqq) now. And big changes can affect my army lists and my almost - painted army ... Good that I have most of our CAMOed guys painted ;)

Over all moving away from nested skills is good, but I see few problems - like more and more special rules under a unit profile. Which not only will make them less easy to read but also a bit overwhelming for new guys.

PozdRawiam / Greetings

6. Savnock

Savnock Nerfherder

I thought the same thing too, but since we have Code One coming in for the new guys, the overwhelming bits can be saved for when they are all ready to level up. :)

7. Cadfan17

Cadfan17 Member

I'm kind of unenthused. Its useful for teaching the game to have certain concepts function as a single whole. For example, you can teach camo, and then for TO camo just say "its like regular camo except...” and things work out. Plus there are a LOT of units in this game, so it helps to be able to just remember the rules for something like TO camo and then apply them as required, instead of having a lot of extra unit specific details beyond the ones we have now.

Still, it might be nice to unpack the “hidden” skills like stealth on martial arts.

8. Doa

Doa Well-Known Member

In our chat one players tell us that mimetism will have different value, like mimetism - 3 or - 5
    I hope that n4 will have fixed value like n3

9. calza27

calza27 Cold-steel

I know Carlos said as an example they could have mimetism - 5, but I don't see CB going that way. Having every mod a multiple of 3 makes it quicker to calculate final attribute value. I mean, nothing's stopping them going to multiples of 2, or 4, but 3 is the number we're all used too.

As for haqq camo, I see haqqislam as being a faction that very well could end up with not many changes to our camo going forward. I more see the heavy infantry camo/TO as being the ones that are going to lose a skill here or there. Units such as the Swiss guard or the hac Tao. They already have the benefit of being HI, why not take away something that makes them a bit less of a brick wall, but also make them a tad cheaper? The LI camo in haqq (and other factions) leans on their camo to survive, so to make their camo a bit weaker would defeat the purpose of the unit in question. At least that's how I feel.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

loricus likes this.
  10. Doa

Doa Well-Known Member

I am also curious about what cb will do with msv.....

11. DukeofEarl

DukeofEarl Well-Known Member

I was thinking on that earlier. I could see doing away with levels and just turning it to straight modifiers given what we now know. Possibly with a change to low-zero visibility areas as well

12. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Re: Swiss vs Hac Tao. This is actually a good way to differentiate between the two. Drop HD on Swiss. This gives you the better shooter or the HD. It would lean into the idea of YJ's HI being special. Particularly if the Cutter keeps HD (which I think it should).

13. SpectralOwl

Except that leaves enemy players able to counter-deploy the Swiss Guard, and PanO really does not need an even harder time breaking out of its DZ, what with the ever-increasing number of Core MSV Snipers, camo spam and the faction's bad trade power. I'd actually argue that the Hac Tao would benefit more from an enhanced Surprise Shot for improved power when they reveal, especially the ML variant. Haqq could possibly benefit from this across the board; it's an army themed around outmanouevering opponents and taking down key defenses before smashing them with Ghulams, so it could possibly use Camo/Surprise -6 across the board instead of putting levels in Mimetism. This would make them equal to conventional Camo/Mimetism -3 on an opening shot from Marker state, but worse in sustained gunfights, and downright horrifying if they can flank you under marker by inflicting a -9 penalty to the out-of-LOS Dodge. Make them a little cheaper and you have a very distinct offensively-biased, low-cost Skirmisher corps who can excel at kicking the legs out from under the enemy so the Infantry can crush them.

Superfluid likes this.
  14. inane.imp

You're basically arguing that PanO needs top tier HI so that they don't need to play into their faction strength (ie TAGs). I think designing PanO so that a TAG is usually the optimal solo-gunfighter is a good way to emphasise faction identity. I'm not saying do that in isolation BTW, but if you pair it with things like making Stun a -3 to all skills (ie no longer prevent attacks) or make it able to be Engineered, then TAGs become a lot harder to lock into a DZ. You can also do things that lower overall order counts (for which there are many suggestions), making Tac Awareness on TAGs a real point of advantage.

The problem with improved Surprise Shot for Hac Tao is that it does nothing against the threats these units (Hac Tao, Swiss) are already bad against (which, as you point out, is SSL2 MSV AROs) and just makes them more dominant vs threats they are already good against.

I'm not sold on Swiss losing HD BTW, more just pointing it out as the sort of option you get to emphasise faction differences between otherwise very similar troops. I do agree that you couldn't do it as the only change you made.

For units like Tauregs (drop Mimmetism to -3, up Surprise Attack to -6) I think you make a good point. These sorts of units have the ability to choose targets, so can exploit the better Surprise Shot. This makes an interesting point of difference between say a Taureg, Dasyu, Spektr and Crocman.

SpectralOwl likes this.
  15. SpectralOwl

Close, what PanO needs is top-tier gunfighters. This proficiency comes at the cost of Smoke, Warbands and most Skirmisher access, badly cutting their indirect options, so I'm always wary of anything that could slow them down even more. TAGs exemplify that high-speed aggressive, long-range playstyle, but aren't always appropriate due to cost or scenario or even just player preference, so there need to be valid options across most unit types that can clear the game's toughest AROs or else PanO just doesn't get to play.

Where this comes back to Haqq is that they're not the Light Infantry faction, they're the Synergy faction, relying on all of their units' narrow advantages to score victories where the enemy is weak and enhance their own strengths. Usually a Haqq supersoldier won't stand up to their peers in other armies in the numbers game, but have a quirk or two that lets them exploit the board or the enemy for advantages. I suspect that most of them will remain unchanged because of this, although some skills may be cut and replaced, because most of them are quite necessary for their roles or both simple and flavourful. If there's going to be some big change across Haqq it's most likely to come from Religious Troop being simplified to Courage.

inane.imp and calza27 like this.
  16. inane.imp

I'd kinda argue that if TAGs aren't appropriate due to player preference then maybe they should play something other than PanO. But although I take your point and agree that PanO needs premiere gunfightera, I honestly don't think that losing HD would make that big of an issue for a Swiss HMG compared to the drop in cost. The biggest impact would be defensively on the Swiss ML IMO.

17. vorthain

vorthain Veteran Novice

I would like if Regeneration and Automedikit were consolidated into a single skill too. Religious Troop removed in favor of Courage would be very good.

18. Papa Bey

Papa Bey Clueless Wonder. Still.

But most of our guys with Religious are also Courageous. :D

19. inane.imp

I actually like how Religious and Courage work differently, but that's because I see being able to Guts as a strict advantage.

The issue is the amount of units that have both, which makes Religious entirely pointless.

Agree on Regen and Automedkit. Consolidate them and add Shock Immunity to the units you want to keep it.

SpectralOwl and loricus like this.
  20. Doa

Doa Well-Known Member

Regeneration already grants shock immunity

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation