1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fireteam creation timing at Deployment

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Diphoration, Feb 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diphoration

Diphoration Well-Known Member
    Warcor

What is the latest point a player can create a Fireteam?

http://infinitythewiki.com/en/Creation_of_a_Fireteam
    "During the Deployment Phase, placing a Team Leader Marker (F: TEAM LEADER), or equivalent, next to one of the troopers that meet the Requirements of this rule."

http://infinitythewiki.com/en/Initiative_and_Deployment#Deployment_Rules
    The Deployment Phase is divided into the following steps:
    1. Player One Deployment: Following the order established in the Initiative Roll, as decided by the player who kept Deployment, the first player places all but one of his troops inside his Deployment Zone.
    2. Player Two Deployment: Once Player One is done, Player Two places all but one of her troops inside her Deployment Zone.
    3. Player One Last Figure: Then, Player One places the troop he kept back during step one.
    4. Player Two Last Figure: Finally, Player Two places the troop she kept back during step two.

Can Player One create their fireteam in Step 3 when they place their last Figure? (Does that Figure need to be part of that Fireteam?)

Can Player One create their fireteam in Step 4 when their opponent place their last Figure?

2. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

It is unfortunately very unclear. If it is sufficiently tactically important I suggest you have a good chat with your opponent.

Xeurian likes this.
  3. wes-o-matic

wes-o-matic feeelthy casual

New player but I’ve been staring at the rules a lot, and my guess is that it’s meant to mean that as long as you’re still in the Deployment Phase it’s legal, given that other Special Skill rules (f.ex. Ghost: Jumper, Booty) that are tied to a specific unit and affect the timing during deployment are specific. The fireteam rules don’t require declaration of the fireteam or specifying the fireteam leader when a given unit is placed, just during the Deployment Phase; since it’s based on a Special Skill, presumably you cannot declare the fireteam until at least one fireteam member model with the appropriate Fireteam Special Skill (i.e. Haris, Triad) is on the table.

Analogous question: Do you have to place a Prone marker next to a given model at the time you place it on the table, or can you do that later as long as it’s still the Deployment Phase?

So far I’ve mostly tried to declare fireteam composition, Prone state, etc. when I place models and definitely before my opponent makes placements, so that they can make placements based on knowledge about who I’ve got Prone, etc. but that seems more like good sportsmanship than a rules requirement under RAW?

4. Florian Hanke

Florian Hanke Does not know how to stop building terrain.

I read „During the Deployment Phase, players may deploy one or more of their troopers Prone by placing a Prone Marker beside them.“ as having to place the Prone marker when deploying the trooper that receives the state. In the Spanish version, it‘s much clearer, if I understand correctly: „En la Fase de Despliegue, el jugador puede desplegar una tropa con un Marcador de Cuerpo a Tierra a su lado.“

wes-o-matic likes this.
  5. Tanan

Tanan Well-Known Member

There was a thread earlier in which it was clarified that phases 3 & 4 aren’t part of the deployment phase. Because of reasons.

If they were, AD: Parachutist would become a lot better skill.

And yes, by RAW the “one last figure” can’t go prone. But it doesn’t matter, no one cares about RAW anymore.

6. Florian Hanke

Would you mind linking to that thread? Because on http://infinitythewiki.com/en/Deployment_Phas, phases 3 & 4 are clearly in the deployment phase.

Dragonstriker likes this.
  7. daszul

daszul Well-Known Member

And what if the reserve model is the one with the Haris skill, or supposed to be the link leader?

8. Tanan

Tanan Well-Known Member

9. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

If you are talking about the thread where Parachutist was actually discussed, I believe the result was that if you only had one and you reserved that model, you could choose the entry zone during the reserve phase. If, however, you had multiple troopers with parachutist, or you decided not to hold it back, you had to choose when you would normally deploy them (i.e. during the main deployment phase). Remember that AD is optional for most troopers. You could just deploy that trooper normally and in not doing so, you are using the skill.

I take that back until further clarification after rereading the thread.

10. Tanan

Tanan Well-Known Member

@daszul By RAW, a fireteam can’t be created in this case. But why would you care about RAW?

11. Sabin76

I'm confused. No one of any authority claimed that steps 3 and 4 of the deployment phase were not actually in the deployment phase.

12. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

I'd like to see the reference for that claim as well.

13. Florian Hanke

No, but especially in Spanish, the „Deployment Phase of the owning player“ appear to indeed only pertain to steps 1 and 2 of the Deployment Phase (in http://infinitythewiki.com/en/Initiative_and_Deployment#Deployment_Rules, first FAQ, regarding AD). This is quite confusing and these rules are not well written, since there appears to be an overall deployment phase, with player‘s deployment phases - steps 1 and 2 - included, plus last figures.

But at least for the fireteams, the rules seem clearly for the whole overall deployment phase - for AD table edge, as in the FAQ, only during phase 1 or 2.

14. Sabin76

What do you mean by Steps 1 or 2? Do you mean 1 and 3 (player deploying first) or 2 and 4 (player deploying second)? If so, that's what I'd say too, but it appears from the rest of your statement that you don't think so?

15. Florian Hanke

After reading what I wrote last night, I was very unclear. Let me try again:

I was quite confused about what @Tanan was trying to say and why they would say that only steps 1 (Player One Deployment) and 2 (Player Two Deployment) of the Deployment Phase were part of the deployment phase. Checking out the link they provided (https://forum.corvusbelli.com/threads/ad-parachutist-and-last-figure-step.35499/), I noticed that in the FAQ (http://infinitythewiki.com/en/Initiative_and_Deployment#Deployment_Rules#FAQ) it says: "Q: Can you pick your AD: Parachutist location at any time during the Deployment Phase of any player? A: No. You have to choose the location during the Deployment Phase of the owning player."

I hadn't heard of "during the Deployment Phase of the owning player" – I assumed that meant "during the owning player's steps of the Deployment Phase", which makes most sense to me.
    But still, I usually check out the Spanish version to double check – there it says: "Debe elegirse en la Fase de Despliegue propia del Jugador." and steps 1 and 2 are "Despliegue del Jugador 1/2", but steps 3 and 4 are "Última Figura del Jugador 1/2". Not super clear to me.

So to me the naming is very confusing ("Deployment Phase of the owning player" in the FAQ vs. "Player One/Two Deployment" as a step), and I can now see how @Tanan is confused.

But looking at it with fresh eyes, the word "Phase" is what makes me quite sure "Deployment Phase of the owning player" means steps 1 & 3 or 2 & 4, it's just quite badly written, in English as well as Spanish. So since the rules don't refer to the "Deployment Step of the owning player", but to the "Deployment Phase of the owning player", I now think the rule should be written as "during the owning player's steps of the Deployment Phase".

Conclusion for me: create a fireteam whenever during your steps of the Deployment Phase (it's also more streamlined to my eyes and a rules complication less to remember).

What do you think?

wes-o-matic likes this.
  16. daszul

daszul Well-Known Member

@Florian Hanke , from your link:
    So all four steps are part of the deployment phase.
    The FAQ does not talk about step 3 and 4,
    but 1 and 3 or 2 and 4,
    depending on the initiative of the parachutist's player.

17. Florian Hanke

That's the conclusion I've arrived, see post above yours. I just think the rules could be written better to avoid confusion such as in this thread: https://forum.corvusbelli.com/threads/ad-parachutist-and-last-figure-step.35499/ (I think they arrive at the wrong conclusion)

18. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

A bit of a philosophical and rhetorical question:

Can you have a unit "deployed in AD" using Parachutist without also having divided the table into sections and picked one of them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation