1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The creation of Nessus

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by Snowball, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Snowball

Snowball Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Hello lovelies!

Today is a grand day. I am breaking ground On my first custom table! The theme will be the planet Nessus from Destiny 2. Ever since the first destiny came out and showed all the vex architecture from Venus I was in awe and inspired to translate it to the table somehow.

I now feel confident enough in my ability to start this project after seeing and playing on different custom style tables. Some worked well and others didn’t. I feel the techno-stone ruins will be easy enough to translate to a decently playable table. Lots of flat surfaces, easy LoF judgement, etc.

What are some things you look for in a good table, and what are some things I should avoid? I’m planning on making this thing fully modular on top of a game mat, with many different pieces to give the table tons of different options and customizability.

Some things I am planning on making and would love some input:

Spires with “vex milk” waterfalls (waterfalls count as saturation?)

Underground cave inside a cliff face (long section along a table edge, playability questionable)

The giant Nessus trees (no idea where to start with this)

Below I provided some reference photos as well as my test run on one of the spires. Planning on capping my terrain height to 1 foot so things don’t get too out of hand and hard to play.

3EE8708D-7ECE-474E-B73B-96432B5A53E1.jpeg C9D541A6-120B-47E0-A9A9-1F08C8F1F6FC.jpeg E399CB9A-E309-46D1-8120-4C9BCDF7290F.jpeg 182D2C67-BB88-4F3D-AE08-49B4440F4383.jpeg 1538B0A2-FB8A-41CF-A2F0-E2A921E7A54F.jpeg 0D0F6B78-6D1A-4CA4-89AD-8B03C1B5092C.jpeg

2. LeeroyVinland

LeeroyVinland O-12 Agent

Followed! Sounds like a fun project. Good luck! :)

3. Biomckill

Biomckill Well-Known Member

Sounds fun... good luck with the project!

In wide flat surfaces try to add some texture to the foam using a stone or a crumpled aluminum foil ball; otherwise it looks too artificial, like concrete.

and do not forget the vegetation.

regarding the modularity.... think in advance. Use paper tiles with the elevation marks to test the combinations and avoid gaps and so.

Florian Hanke likes this.
  4. Snowball

Warcor

Going to make those creepy observing spheres you see everywhere on vex worlds. 2” and 3” wood balls were pretty cheap!

09900961-1E22-4801-8F7D-8F2F513A80F1.jpeg 135F5F6B-034E-4790-AADF-A08DCBE4A59A.jpeg

5. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Yep, also some cuts to make cracks in non regular places (or at least not always foam thick, to break the perfection) and separate different levels of depth when smashing the rock. Solvents or heat can be used to texture the surface too.
    I have some images in mind, but forgot where the damn demos / tutorials are.

6. Biomckill

I have seen lots of tutorials using isolation foam for scenery, but only for fantasy:

In german, with pics illustrating some techniques
    The Rob Hawkins terrain tutorials

Looking again at the Nessus pictures looks like blocks of concrete that in some points are corroded or eroded, wuthbthe material chipped, and made as diffrent blocks creating layers with different depths. The texture will make a great difference and it is easy peasy to do with the foam.

Be aware that some foams do not withstand common solvents or some paint. Try the material before!

For the spheres, maybe you can purchase also in arts and crafts stores (in Spain, usually in those general stores All-for-one-euro chinese-branded) balls of expanded PS in different sizes (those white balls used for snowmen). Expanded PS is really cheap, but again it must be primed carefully before painting.

And attention to the details. That makes the difference!

Good luck and best wishes

Snowball and jherazob like this.
  7. Mob of Blondes

https://1d3trees.com/terrain/making-a-cave-tile/
    This is not the one I remember about making flat rocks, but it shows nice textures by solvents and smashing. The caulk can be replaced with acrylic gels or modelling pastes. Seems useful for the broken parts specially.

Maybe the "tutorial" was in the previous forum, or this one but months ago (quick search returns threads with missing images *sigh*). Anyway, after more inspection it would not apply as it was cracked rock, not random blocks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It indeed looks like concrete, just that the blocks are not very regular, more like patches over patches. I would combine different thickness (as seen in your test part) and then apply thin rectangles of peeled foamcore (normally avaliable in 3, 5 and 10 mm thickness) for surface details, with pastes to unify and reinforce.

For trees, small ones you can do classic mode, with tree top and everything, and for big ones (not many) just build the trunk and imply the rest is way above the level you play. Twisted wire or even kraft paper for armature, then paste for bark. Integrate some of them with the blocks. Maybe build some adapters (foam block, flat above, round below, like |C rotated 90) so you can place miniatures over horizontal parts of trunk (nice, only needs players agreeing if adapter fits, location is valid), or make really flat in the top zones of trunks (meh, rules obsessed people...).

Lots of autumn flock too, with wool or similar to create the "spanish moss" hanging everywhere.

[​IMG]
    Waterfall looks like white water? So water effects or gel over non sticky surface to get a first base, then peel and apply in place and add more coats. Mix a bit of white ink, or apply between coats. You will need LEDs if you want it to glow.

The maps seem to be very vertical, which in Infinity can be tricky, 1 foot for a few eye catching things, maybe with top surfaces not usable (implied "continues above" like huge trees), and lots of lower blocks (2-5 cm thick) you can rearrange to create an elevated surface with some corridors at lower level (gaming mat), and taller blocks (classic buildings in other tables, 8-15 cm) but still below the 1 foot. Hmm, for storage you may want to build some things hollow and use the inner space to keep other smaller thing, Russian dolls style. Keep a silhouette handy to build steps that help moving without climb to the basic parts, otherwise it will be a Climb Plus / Super Jump freaks vs snails circus.

SupersexyJohn, jherazob and Snowball like this.
  8. Snowball

Warcor

Thanks for the replies and tips guys! Definitely checking out these tutorials on how I can make this table epic! Here is my progress. Added some expanding foam and joint compound for more organic dirt and hilly areas. Also started work on a Vex cavern. Might be a bit ballsy but my plan is to have it on a table edge for accessibility and some structures protruding out of it.

Nessus is very vertical, limiting the height of my structures to 1 foot so it’s not too crazy and unplayable, going to add vines and moss strategically on the stone structures to act as ladders so it’s not entirely a super jump/climbing plus paradise.

As far as the waterfalls and water effects. On Nessus it’s an organic compound that makes up the power source to the vex (hints that it’s sentient and is actually the vex itself). Was thinking of adding in a pearl white to the water effect to give it that milky/alien look.

I do have some silhouettes and models on hand to check accessibility of these structures. Want my bike and tag enthusiasts to be able to play on it :)

8B138AA3-0098-4DFB-BBBA-CDD47582F339.jpeg E3E41345-FCF3-486D-BA75-05C7972F51A7.jpeg 1F0E80BF-9082-46BC-8F01-F6DA5314422E.jpeg 6E65A37B-D1E6-4771-8E5B-B1D8A1EA88B8.jpeg 3597B059-4CD8-4F08-9837-00E23C737961.jpeg 6D598946-FDDF-40C0-8830-5A621E9091CD.jpeg 61D93D69-3754-45E9-8104-1FD6BED56C86.jpeg 3771F223-B799-46BD-8DB0-968BBBF58F5F.jpeg

Jumara, Xeurian, Section9 and 5 others like this.
  9. Mob of Blondes

Good progress.

The point about too vertical was that even with ladders (I knew I was forgetting something about the hanging plants), you are spending the movement to stay pretty much in the same zone, so to speak. But if you make things so soldiers can navigate around, and also "climb" by just walking over "stairs" (like the small blocks and bumps you have placed in some of the bases), or a combination of those "stairs" with climb / ladders, it should not affect the playability while keeping the impressive look. In short, provide part of up movements for free.

For pearl effect, check Vallejo Metal Medium 70.521, it seems to be flakes of that.

Section9 and Koin-Koin like this.
  10. FireFangs

FireFangs Space Oni

Very nice looking so far!

Might I know what materials you use?

11. Koni

Koni BanHammer
    CB Staff

As a Destiny 2 player, I love what I'm seeing. Good luck with the project!

[​IMG]

Xeurian and Oyentido like this.
  12. Snowball

Warcor

Just foam insulation board, plasticard, spray foam and joint compound for the base materials for now lol. Planning on using Vallejo texture paste, woodland scenic water effects and red flock/static grass once it’s all painted.

Senpai noticed me!! *swoon*

colbrook and Koni like this.
  13. FireFangs

FireFangs Space Oni

Thanks, I've been looking for materials now that I discovered my glue just melt through styrofoam!

14. Biomckill

Thanks for solving the doubt. I had in mind pretty much the same question: how can you move in such terrain. Using vines and plants as ladders/stairs make sense; in other parts using piles of blocks with a smooth slope can make the same function...

One detail that you have not commented is how you will recreate the hi-tech scaffolding that shows in some pics under the ‘concrete’ slabs. Looks like part of a Borg cube...

Yep: paint, glue, anything with the wrong solvent will melt the foam. Styrofoam is polysterene with a 98% or so of microbbubles, so the usual glue, bondenes, primers, etc... melt the PS right away. If the product uses ketone, MEK, THF or others as component, be sure that you have to find a different product.

Common glue for wood (what in spanish we call cola blanca) is the best for styrofoam. In some of the tutorials commented above they talk about primers and paints compatible with the styrofoam.

Good luck!

15. Snowball

Warcor

Wire mesh, coat hangar and plasticard. It won’t be as intricate and high detail as the game but it’ll look good on the table. I’ll take pictures once I get a pillar made :)

16. Mob of Blondes

The suggested wood glue, or the cream versions (here big bottles were same price, but cream one has some level of water resistance white one lacks), Gorilla glue (not the superglue kind, but the one that foams with water), acrylic paint (left overs from walls), silicone sealers, no-more-nails and similar solvent-free glues... and of course, PS foam contact glue. Worst case (eg for painting with something that has solvents, like some spray paints or the additives in some sprays), coat the surface first with something cheap, like acrylic paint or wood glue (and paper, for extra reinforcement).

[​IMG]
    This texture? I don't know what "scale", but mesh, wires and cards sounds like a good candidate, as Snowball said. Bamboo sticks too.

Snowball likes this.
  17. Snowball

Warcor

First attempt at an exposed construct

79A085E7-5FCB-4D17-9C4F-778D3CF82C6D.jpeg

Section9, Koni, SupersexyJohn and 6 others like this.
  18. LeeroyVinland

LeeroyVinland O-12 Agent

Sigh* Now I wanna do a similar one too... All the time needed :)

Keep up the good work!

19. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

If weight becomes a problem, look for cooking supplies. Since fondant became so used, all kind of shapes are being sold in foam with all kind of shapes (cubes, pyramids, spheres...).

I would suggest to be carefull with the 3D, because Infinity is not truly centered on said mobility and you can find some units get deploid in unassailable positions (for example, snipes and infiltrators looking for high perches... specially Shasvastii, who like to gamble with their "KO" state in missions about controlling zones). As long as there is more than one way to reach a position without needing climbing plus, super jump, or more than 2 full orders it should be ok.

jherazob likes this.
  20. Lady Numiria

Lady Numiria Cyberius TaskForce

Really good work! Can't wait to see more of the project, good luck with it! =)

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation