1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Usashi's slow YJ/Sygmaa log

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Usashi, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

@Mob of Blondes Yes, I do use resin casts of infinity bits otherwise converting anything would be pain in the arse, especially here where I needed like 4 nikoul heads. As a long time GW customer I'm spoiled by amounts of bits they have in their boxes. Nowadays I just dream that CB will release weapon packs one day...

@Berjiz Cheers mate. I think the head should be ok more or less, so it's probably just the photo's angle. Sygmaa FTW ;)

2. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

Great work allround (paining, converting, concept and pics).

Got any tips on photography? Only have and iphone myself and struggle to get pics of good quality. Lighting is always a problem, I only really get a chance to take pics at night and since it's dark have to use lamps that tend to saturate pics with yellow light. Touching up after is a pain and tends to washout colours...

3. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

There's a good article in the old forum (can't get the link at the moment, sorry) with plenty of good advices. Most are common sense but you don't see them as obvious until someone point it out :face_with_rolling_eyes:

What I can tell is:
    - invest in a day light bulb, they are affordable and very common now. Plus you can also take benefit of it for painting
    - you can make a cheap photo box with just a cardbox package and some polystyrene plates (it will reflect the light everywhere.
    - a background is also a good way to improve the result

Usashi likes this.
  4. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

archangeleong, Koin-Koin and jherazob like this.
  5. Koin-Koin

Absolutely, that's the article I was refering to. Thanks for busting it for me @Usashi

6. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

Thanks Guys. Ill take a look

7. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

A little update (all Sygmaa conversions previously posted in a conversion thread):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also I decided to give my Sygmaa a quick (compared to my YJ) paint job. Basically, inspired by a forum member painting his CA with 2 light sources (can't find the original thread now :/) and Jolly Roger Studio's awesome job - Alex's nigh vision Ariadna force, I was thinking about something like this:

[​IMG]

The idea is to make a quick zenithal shading (greys or blues) and then add some light source effects (more or less) and finish it with some washes a just a bit of highlights here and there. Any suggestions?

8. thirteenpixels

thirteenpixels Well-Known Member

Yea I'm currently working on a similar scheme for my Hassassins but not finding that it's terribly quick. You're basically painting the mini in greyscale fully (lining/highlighting, etc) then hitting it with inks or really thin paints at the end. For me at least it's not any quicker but it does look cool.

9. maru

maru Well-Known Member

the one with red isd easest to make and will look good on table

10. Berjiz

Berjiz Well-Known Member

The middle one looks strange and doesn't look like light sources to me. I think the one to the right looks best

11. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Agreed, I think the red would look best on table.

?

So, what did I say?

12. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

Cheers guys, thanks for the comments. The middle one was more just like a radial gradient painting than a light source. In the end I've decided to pick those colours, although I make a final decision after a test model.

[​IMG]

@Section9 you've advised to paint some miniatures every few buildings I finish. Still I got back to my terrain painting mode for the last few months, so it's high time I did some minis as well.

13. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Ah, yeah, I need to get back to that myself.

(I don't want to think about how many ^$@%#@ 40k models I have tying up my paint queue right now...)

14. maru

maru Well-Known Member

-_o this looks starange as if they get a flash light in ther faces .. placment of pink light need to be a bit different

15. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I finished the test miniature. It was a "speed" painting, that took me around 2h and 30 mins. I spend around 4-5 h on YJ models so I guess it's an improvement. I think the model looks decent enough so I'll be painting all of my sygmaa miniatures on this level. There is hope, I'll have less silver models on my desk ;)

@maru thanks mate but the goal was to have nicely painted miniature, that looks good on the table, not to win any OSL contests.

This was the first time I've used Tamiya weathering master set (just snow) and I must say it's fantastic. Using zenithal painting, washes and this pigment was really speeding the whole painting process. It works really well on models like tohaa, where there is a lot of little details. Painting everything with just brushes would take ages.

[​IMG]

#55 Usashi, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 18, 2019
    Golem2God, melkiach, Dedled and 11 others like this.
  16. Koin-Koin

I have to admit that as cool as your pre-rendered pics were, I didn't see how it could end on the real mini.

Not only your final result match your initial idea, but it definitely is great.

meikyoushisui and Usashi like this.
  17. maru

maru Well-Known Member

Yes and no - you actualy made a better placed osl on mini compared to the one on render ;) - the one on mini came from one side instade a magicly envelopinh way to mutch of a mini :)

#57 maru, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Berjiz and Usashi like this.
  18. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

More speedpainted Tohaa

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Sygmaa count as Rex/ Kaauri head swaps:

[​IMG]

Golem2God, melkiach, Xeurian and 8 others like this.
  19. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

More speed painted Tohaa and some Taagma conversions.
    I found my varnish is removing some paint when I use it - blue airbrushed sections suddenly are not smooth for some reason.
    I need to find a good replacement.:sweat:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oni, wisefaiz, volgo and 6 others like this.
  20. maru

maru Well-Known Member

Talens Acrylic Oil Varnish 115

Usashi likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation