1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Human-Sphere Wiki - One Year In

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Phlyk, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Last changes 7 June 2019 (so says the "Recent changes" page if you play with the days param). Anyone interested should PM @Phlyk here, or email admin {a} human-sphere.com.

Another thing would be figuring how to dump the DB and creating another site, it seems to use same software than Wikipedia. If he disappeared (stupid forum with relative dates... hmm... not logged here since 10 August 2019), it would be the only way to keep the thing alive in the future. Domain registration expires next December, and paid hosting is unknow date.

burlesford and bladerunner_35 like this.
  2. LeeroyVinland

LeeroyVinland O-12 Agent

Tried to contact him some months ago. Haven't even received an answer.
    The Wiki is based on https://www.mediawiki.org (There are several different wikias out there)

burlesford likes this.
  3. Ashen_Seeker

Ashen_Seeker Well-Known Member

I also created an account on mediawiki to try and enter but nothing.

However, in the wiki abouts, I found he also has a blog, and in particular there is an article where he details how Human-sphere.com came to be.

4. LeeroyVinland

LeeroyVinland O-12 Agent

My guess is that we need to setup a new wiki.
    If that happens I'm eager to help!

But hopefully the human sphere admin will contact us :)

5. Phlyk

Phlyk Well-Known Member

Hi all,

My apologies for being AWOL for some time - I've been busy with many non-Infinity projects and I realise things have slipped somewhat (quite an understatement!). The Wiki has been a substantial passion-project, with over 500 pages and thousands of edits, but as the CB store improved significantly a little while ago (now showing unit descriptions, patches, faction links and so on) it's seemed less important a site for the community and more like I was just duplicating information.

However there have been more and more people getting in touch or asking about it, so it's clearly still in demand! I'm roping in a few community members who I've worked with in the past to help me out and bring things back up to date. This will be a process, but normal service will be resuming over the next couple of months I hope.

There will also need to be decisions made about the future of the site, in terms of N4, Defiance and Aristeia content. Also whether things like unit/army tactics are considered desirable content after the death of the Infinity Tactics wiki.

Domain registration and hosting is all up to date, so the site isn't going anywhere soon. :)

Will keep people posted.

Attached Files:

Teleute, Del S, Daniel Darko and 7 others like this.
  6. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Wiki provides history, both in a per unit sense and global, keeping out-of-production items documented, or things that are not products at all. And way more info in general, like dossiers. Shop is a mere subset, and for archival purposes I have my doubts about longevity. Not comparable IMHO, Human Sphere is way better in multiple fronts.

burlesford, Del S, inane.imp and 2 others like this.
  7. Vocenoctum

Vocenoctum Well-Known Member

As a new player, I do think it's useful for a lot of little things, even if the unit's are elsewhere. Finding old minis and an easier format to look through. Some units have variations among different factions I think, and it'd be nice to be able to look up a mini and find out which factions/ sectorials it can be played in. The Army does a good job of listing everything in a sectorial, but when I find a unit I might want to build around, it'd be nice to know all the other places it can fit in.

I honestly doubt you need to dedicate time to Defiance (which I'm getting) or Aristeia (which I don't have) except the listing of minis that might cross-over. N4 and Code1 are more than enough for the site. Maybe a single subject/ page for each to detail how they fit into the narrative.

If you could edit out all the links to Infinity-Tactics wiki, that'd be nice since sometimes I get clickhappy when wandering.

Either way, thanks for the work. :)

Del S likes this.
  8. Solodice

Solodice Freshly Squeezed Troll

The wiki is much faster to navigate and reference for unit descriptions if I'm being honest. Also a good chunk of new unit fluff from Uprising and 3rd Offensive are not even included in the store. As Mob said as well the store being a good archive is suspect especially for OOP products and looking at miniature concepts (old and new).

#28 Solodice, Feb 2, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  9. Phlyk

Phlyk Well-Known Member

This has been done on all pages now. You may see an error message in the navigation section temporarily (probs for a day) as it required a lot of regex calcs and I temporarily exceeded my daily calculations limit. Whoops!

Another question is also raised about the best way of categorising units. Whether by unit type, faction, sectorial etc. Do we make different entries for the same unit in different factions/sectorials and so on. When the project was started, cross-over of units between factions was much more infrequent and there were many fewer mercenaries, so this was much simpler. This is something that will be in discussion over the next few weeks and as we go into N4.

Thanks all for the positive support. :)

burlesford, Teleute and Del S like this.
  10. Ashen_Seeker

Ashen_Seeker Well-Known Member

Thank YOU for your hard work

The wiki is far more useful than the in-store description: it has all the relevant informations(background and profile) in a single place giving a feeling of the army, the unit and its place in it.

I have an idea for it: in the faction pages, insert the units' list under the faction/sectorial description so that the faction has the complete list and then the sectorials has each their unit roster right after a small description of it.

If we have to take into consideration Code 1's essentials/core units, what about a sub-page like Page1 = everyunit diveded by unit type (as it is now) and Page2 = core units list?
    I'm thinking at something like mobile games wiki where there are multiple skins for the characters in the same page(FEH, AL, etc...)

For the NA2 merc, I suggest leaving them in their own pages since, as I understand, they are all available for each army.

Again, thank you.

PS I don't know if any of my suggestions are feasable......

Del S likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation