1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software for Scenery-Making

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by Elder71, Jan 24, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Elder71

Elder71 New Member

Hello all.

Is there a piece of software wherein I could design a building, say, and have it create blueprints for all the pieces I'd need to cut from chipboard or foamboard, along with measurements?

I can't think how to condense that description into a Google search.

Thanks

El

2. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

As far as i've seen, no, there isn't one, but what i've seen some people use (when they bother to do any kind of similar thing, this is a rare case) is to take a level builder for any FPS game and plan things there.

3. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

Basically you need some CAD software.
    Depending on how you will to physically build it you'll choose a different software or a different way to use it:
    - old fashion way by cutting and assembling pieces with tools
    - laser cut plexy/mdf
    - 3D print

You can start looking here

4. Elder71

Elder71 New Member

Thanks all, I'll have a gander when I get home from work

El

5. SupersexyJohn

SupersexyJohn Well-Known Member

6. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

That softwarewas designed to make objects to be unfolded and made out of paper, i don't think it's the best choice for buildings and structures and maps, but should be interesting for individual objects

7. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

By the way, I've missed the mention of chipboard and foamboard in the original post.
    There's some awesome people here that made thread showing their creation amazing creations, asking them directly may be quite relevant here.

8. Digitalfiend

Digitalfiend New Member

You can prototype your 3D designs using SketchUp or Autodesk Fusion 360, both of which are free for non-commercial use. They both support exporting to STL format if you’re planning on 3D printing. SketchUp is super easy to use and perfect for prototyping / designing terrain but Fusion 360 is more flexible/powerful. If you’re new to 3D CAD software, I’d suggest trying SketchUp first.

If you want to laser cut acrylic or HDF, you can model in the programs above first, then transfer them to a 2D line art program like Inkscape (free) or Adobe Illustrator (subscription based).

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation