1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Bases for a new Decade

Discussion in 'News' started by Spitfire_TheCat, Dec 29, 2019.

1. zapp

zapp Well-Known Member

I highly recommend the usage of a jewelliers saw. This is a tool of wonder to make precise and easy cuts on infinity models.

BLOODGOD likes this.
  2. Spitfire_TheCat

Spitfire_TheCat Feel the Wrath of the Miezi-Bot

Have it lying around, but to be honest, if I am not able to do it with a knife, it's not worth to be done :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3. Bohrdog

Bohrdog Santathematics

I cut the bar off with snips and use my knife to carve the stub for pinning.

Xeurian likes this.
  4. Vocenoctum

Vocenoctum Well-Known Member

As another poster mentioned, I cut the bar off leaving two spear shaped points under the feet. Then pop a couple holes in the base to match them. Also been playing with simple green on bases.

Was actually thinking of just molding some solid bases from resin and just molding a magnet right into it, but seems like a lot of work.

chromedog likes this.
  5. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Buy a saw blade?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They all fit in typical x-acto compatible handles.

Edit: examples.

#25 Mob of Blondes, Jan 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  6. Spitfire_TheCat

The second half of the sentence answered your question: "if I am not able to do it with a knife, it's not worth to be done :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:"

Or do you want me to think that's what you posted are knives :thinking_face: That's not a knife. If it has not at least 4 Inch blade length, it's not a knife :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I use a (much) older version of something like this:

[​IMG]
    And a serrated blade is no option for miniatures :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Abrilete likes this.
  7. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

A serrated saw blade is a perfectly viable option for miniatures.
    If you're worried about the blade "sticking" in the cut, then lubricate the blade first.

Graphite powder (hell, just rub the cutting edge with a 2b pencil), talc, candle wax, wd-40 ... all of them will work to limit the friction that causes the blade to stick.

Teleute likes this.
  8. Spitfire_TheCat

I doubt it:
    [​IMG]

Sorry :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

What part of "serrated saw" blade made you think of that numptyknife? It's a f**king serrated KNIFE, not even close to being a saw. It's more of a steakknife than a sawblade.

ALL sawblades have serrations. Jewellers' saw, coping saw, razor saw. ^^ that ^^ is just a tool for tools.

meikyoushisui likes this.
  10. Spitfire_TheCat

Like I said, I build the models with a knife. A "normal" knife, not some boxcutter or anything like that. A normal 4-inch-folding-knife. And if I'd switch to a serrated knife, it would be something like the one above.

If I need some kind of saw (coping, razor, jewellers) to build a model, it's not worth to be built. I don' do fretwork on my models.

11. Osobuku

Osobuku New Member

#31 Osobuku, Jun 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  12. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

I do it all of the time. they may bend a little but bending back is not a problem. So far cutting down the tab to posts works fantastic for me.

[​IMG]

13. Spitfire_TheCat

Yes, sure, possible is everything, but why not go for the source instead of trying to cure the symptoms. If the bases are better to start with, we would not have to find a way to work around them.

With the new bases pretty much everything is wrong:
    • you have bars you don't need that most of the time are just annoying
    • you have dot's on the underside that vary in height so neither 1.0 mm, nor 1.5 mm nor 2.0 mm thick magnets work really well
    • the underside is so cluttered that magnets only fit in very restricted places and can not be put under the center of gravity.
    • there is not single thing better than with the old bases

Yes, we can work around these problems. I can use 4+ smaller Magnets (which cost more than larger magnets and i found harder to obtain). I can do some fretwork on my miniatures to make them fit the bases and so on.

But wouldn't it be simpler so change the bases? Why trying to defend something as unimportant as the plain black bases, instead of going for some improvement?

14. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

Good points. Well I don't know of other company plastic bases you could use. I was putting resin on my friends and would also drill a shallow hole in the middle of them for a magnet. It worked pretty well too. Only took seconds to do too. You are no obligated to use the new CB bases.

15. McKaptain

McKaptain Well-Known Member

I just file down the LOF markings on the new bases and then paint the facings on. Only takes a couple seconds.

16. H4tter

H4tter Member

I use 1mm×5mm in that "socket" for all my bases.

The other thing I might suggest is not using the entire tab at the bottom of the model. I usually cut all of it off except for a small peg under one foot. This I shave down to be approximately cylindrical. I then only need to drill a small hole in the base for the pin, instead of cutting a slot for the entire tab.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation