1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Equipment receive cover?

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Keyrott, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Keyrott

Keyrott Nomad Handyman

So can a piece of equipment benefit from partial cover? The wiki uses the term "target" to describe something being affected by cover, so logic would say that equipment can be in partial cover and receive the bonuses. However, the term trooper is used in the base contact rules which is required for partial cover, and equipment aren't troopers. And people use the wiki in favor of the book because it's more up to date, but the book explicitly says troopers twice so I'm confused. What do we think, can pieces of equipment like mines receive partial cover mods? Can equipment only get total cover because no base contact is required?

Also I meant to have "partial cover" in the title, oopsie

Wiki:
    [​IMG]

Book:
    [​IMG]

2. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

I see your question and raise you: can a piece of equipment be subject to a BS Attack by anything other than Deactivators and Minesweepers?

"The user employs his BS Attribute (or that specified by the weapon) to fire upon one or more enemies."

Enemies are a subset of Trooper.

Deactivators and Minesweepers state:
    "Deactivator allows the user, by passing a Normal WIP Roll, to deactivate enemy D-Charges or Deployable Weapons (Mines, E/Maulers...) within LoF."

This could be read an exception to the general rule that BS Attacks normally are only vs enemies.

//

Infinity has an issue where trooper is used when it's not actually intended to limit it to Troopers. Trying to work out the difference is a rabbit warren.

So either you allow Equipment to benefit from cover OR you don't allow BS Attacks against Equipment (unless specifically permitted).

#2 inane.imp, Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  3. Xeurian

Xeurian Well-Known Member

I had asked myself the same question when looking at the facebook convo about this... From the Traits page:

"Deployable weapons and Equipment have their own profile with Attributes, and are targetable by Attacks and Skills."

http://infinitythewiki.com/en/index.php?title=Traits&redirect=no

Keyrott likes this.
  4. inane.imp

Yes. Both Deactivator and Minesweeper are attacks and skills: so they fulfill that definiton. There's also other skills that aren't limited to Troopers (Discover for one) and can be used against Deployable Weapons and Equipment.

Just because "Deployable weapons and Equipment have their own profile with Attributes, and are targetable by Attacks and Skills" it does not mean that they are targetable by ALL Attacks and Skills.

Note: I'm not seriously arguing that you can't attack Deployables with BS Attacks. Rather I'm arguing that you need to be VERY careful about closely reading "Trooper".

Edit: but if the outcome is that you can't BS Attack Deployables then I won't be too mad either. [emoji14] (Yes I've been scarred by people shooting my Koalas with Template Weapons).

#4 inane.imp, Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    Keyrott and Xeurian like this.
  5. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

Didn't you ever, EVER, shot to a Koala? Or a Repeater blocking the way? How do you get rid of those pesky Dazers?
    You can shot to enemy equipment on the table. You are supposed to!

6. inane.imp

Oh, I agree. But they get cover while you're doing it.

(Usually it's my Koalas getting shot though :'( ).

7. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

The Cover rule only refers to a generic "target", so as long as CB doesn't say otherwise it is YES.

8. emperorsaistone

emperorsaistone Well-Known Member

Another question...can I shoot my own deployed equipment?

9. Diphoration

Diphoration Well-Known Member
    Warcor

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation