1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cover basics

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Name1988, Nov 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Name1988

Name1988 New Member

In the rule "Cover" we have this odd text:
    For a piece of scenery to be considered a valid Cover, it must conceal at least a third of the target. This means that it must have a height that is equal to or higher than one third of the target's height, and must also cover at least the equivalent of one third of its base.

Does it mean that i can have my TAG covered by a small box which have 1/3 of TAG's height and also covers 1/3 of TAG's base?

2. Armihaul

Armihaul Well-Known Member

actually, that would be less than 1/3 of the model. Remember the "at least" part. If the box's height is exactly 1/3 of the TAG's, then you need to fill the entire base

3. Arkaon1125

Arkaon1125 Well-Known Member

I think, as for is written, the box cover must fall in one of this two cases

• The entire lenght of the TAG and 1/3 of the height
    • The entire height of the TAg and 1/3 of the lenght

4. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

It has over the years become very clear that whenever the rules say "base" you should consider that it means "silhouette", lots of rules get weird like this or simply doesn't work as necessary otherwise.

Arkhos94 likes this.
  5. Gunmage

Gunmage General Contact Unit

Since this thread about cover basics - how does cover work with scenery pieces of unusual form? I.e. this:
    [​IMG]
    Green model is in contact with the black scenery structure, but not on the side the attack comes from. Does it still get cover bonus?

6. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

I wouldn't play that as cover but CB hasn't really formalized it; it depends on what you consider to be a single piece of terrain.

7. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

No, the green model would not get cover. Effectively, you want to treat each of the walls as an independent object. It would be in cover against a model to the north, but not the east, west, or south. If it were in one of the corners, it would be in cover in two directions.

Arkhos94 likes this.
  8. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

This might be a simpler way of dealing with it: The Trooper has to be in base contact (within 0”) of the terrain along the lines used for line of sight (given that sight lines don’t extend past the target).

In Gunmage’s diagram, the target is too far from the elements that line of sight is drawn across to get cover.

Disclaimer: If you think that’s a leap between how the rules are stated, and how they’re played, I think of a few other game systems to run into the same situation.

If you have to break the terrain into non-concave segments to work right, it means the distance to the terrain is supposed to be along the sight lines.

toadchild likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation