1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

to tag or not to tag, Show of force edition

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by harl3quin, Nov 5, 2019.

1. harl3quin

harl3quin Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

so question to you guys:
    Would you use your tag in show of force?
    I would play it if i was nomads, the one with the build in repeater or a single gecko.
    Perhaps Scarface is a nice one to use aswel, Avatar is nice aswel i guess.
    But most of the tags just don't seem worth it to try and get the extra points...
    What do you think?

Cheers

2. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

I would try and make use of a Zeta, but I'm more hesitant about the Guijia. Zeta can navigate terrain in a way Guijia can't which has proven very useful (even if it also lead to its death last I used it) and the extra burst of the HRMC is very meaningful. The powerhouses are absolutely Sphinx and Cutter, no hesitation that those two wreck face and are extremely intimidating.
    The problem with Show of Force is that people expect a TAG and I don't think most TAGs are in a position where the game doesn't skew if your opponent is prepared. I also seem to recall earlier versions of this mission had a Terrain zone in the middle of the map, but since it no longer does the Forward Deployment skill is less important and for the rather fast TAGs the extra 4" is much less meaningful.

That said, Guijia is no longer terrible. Go ahead and try it!

3. zapp

zapp Well-Known Member

In a TAG mission people expect you to bring a TAG, so you bring no TAG but people know that and prepare lists for no TAGs so you bring a TAG. ;-)

4. Stuffist

Stuffist Well-Known Member

Honestly: give it a shot. The Guijia is actually pretty efficient and did not disappoint me after learnedI learnt to not overextend with it (specially in Show, as you expect some anti-TAG pieces).

He has nothing fancy, but it's still a BS14 MultiHMG on a bunch of armoured plates. It requires some investment and some list tailoring but man, you're a rock star when you win the game with such a good looking mini.

Stiopa likes this.
  5. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

The guy that won the tournament I was in recently in, had 2 Salamandra with Securitate and maybe an engineer. But that was Firefight that he used it fore. Not sure about all of the other missions. Unfortunately all of those troops are better than IA. Two Gujia would be fun if anything.

#5 Space Ranger, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  6. Ashtaroth

Ashtaroth Aragoto GP Organizer
    Warcor

O-Yoroi is very interesting in Show of Force, since she brings Crazy Koalas into the mix, bringing an extra layer of defenses, making it harder to displace.
    That said, JSA's easy access to Monofilament makes that mission quite comfortable for them.

csjarrat likes this.
  7. Diphoration

Diphoration Well-Known Member
    Warcor

In a one of game, most likely not.

In a swiss round tournament where there is enough round to no resort for tiebreakers for first place (3 round for 8, 4 round for 16, etc), most likely not.

In a tournament where you will be guaranteed to have multiple undefeated players, yes.

Sedral and WiT? like this.
  8. Reservup

Reservup Active Member

The Guija is growing on me to be honest. It's pretty plain Jane, which is disappointing in a faction with so many spicy HI models, but it's still a very fast, BS14, multi-HMG platform.

It's also one of the best looking models there is.

In vanilla it's got plenty of support, and of course the standard Yu Jing Kuang Shi order battery means your order count will be solid.

I'm painting mine up to get some more games in after some people on here sold me on it.

9. Weathercock

Weathercock Well-Known Member

I'd say that the Guijia isn't in an awful place anymore. It's not a shining exemplar of anything, but Tactical Awareness makes it much less of a drain on an army. I'd go as far as to say that the Guijia is in a better place right now than the Yan Huo.

It could still use some love, since Yu Jing still has plenty of options that outshine it. But at least I'm not lamenting its existence anymore.

10. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

This sums it up extremely well. Doesn't make that much of a difference to *winning* to have a TAG, but it makes a big difference on tie-breakers in an event. And that event has to be large enough for tie-breakers to matter, or alternatively, have other missions that support TAGs. I'm going into a large show of force event in the near future, and even then I'm not going to bother - a mixture of "the gorgos sucks" and "I probably won't be competing for first place lol" means I'd rather run stuff I'm better with and like more.

If you actively like TAGs or have a TAG list thats good for other missions, its a bit of a no brainer. So I'm assuming this is about forcing a TAG that you otherwise don't really want.

In which case, nah man. Theres no army that I play where I would want to *force* a TAG for this mission. I don't think they're particularly hot stuff for sitting on an objective. They have lots of ARM, which is good, but are large and this combined with the shape of objective or angle of attack (and negative angles are easy to achieve on a large and close target) can cause them to lose cover, which off-sets that quite a bit. A lot of the asymmetrical anti-TAG equipment (ie hacking devices, glue guns etc) are close range, and you're obliged to position your big boi right up where this stuff becomes effective. The typical TAG gun isn't terrible in this position, but is far from ideal - you'll often be engaging in neutral rangebands against positive, causing it to trade-down against weaker attackers. They die to melee unit that wants to cut them off then hold the button, though that does apply to a lot of things.

11. Diphoration

Diphoration Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I just attended a 60 player event (I think 57 showed up) in Baltimore yesterday. I ended up taking the Guija in my Show of Force list and it allowed me to score the full 10-0. It helped with the tiebreakers!

I spent a total of 3 orders on the TAG the entire game.

Put it in suppressive on T1
    Mov-Mov, Mov-Shoot on T3

Because it’s “only” BS14 and no vis mod, it was not worth using as a active piece, I always had better options.

It’s hard to justify the Guija, when you can get the Mowang, Su Jian, Hac Tao, Daofei, etc.

Section9, Stuffist and Sedral like this.
  12. fatherboxx

fatherboxx Mission control, I'm coming home.

I used Guija in Show of Force last big tournament.

Utilizing big S7 silhoutte I managed to fish out Uxia on a rooftop (after discovering with a sensor) and eliminate her, getting rid of a big threat to my order pool.
    Also it was a tactical window format, so my Ariadna opponent brought in Ratnik to have a model for bonus points too - AP 16 dam rounds on Guija and 6-4 move to reach it (safe in the waaaay back of the deployment) helped a lot to erase that threat in very few orders. Sujian would have had more trouble in that situation bc 14 damage into Ratnik in cover wouldn't kill it to dead and 5 arm may not be enough to shrug off shots from rifles on the way.

Sadly it still died to Spetsnaz who killed Guija from a HMG - but getting in the backside took whole turn for the opponent (if just to deny me full points) and he lost because I had quite a few other units supporting the TAG.

Yu Jing doesnt have many anti-heavy weapons so If you are playing in LI or Tactical Window, where high ARM, mutliple wounds models are more likely (and maybe even HI/mixed teams like Riot Girls or Brigada+Algs), Guija is a good choice.

Stuffist likes this.
  13. harl3quin

harl3quin Well-Known Member

first of all, thanks for all the replies.
    Because of them I took the Guija to the tourney.
    List was something in lines of:

a Guija

5 man link excisting of
    shang ji spitfire
    fto remote with shotgun
    hacker zanshi
    medic zanshi
    haidoa killer hacker

zanshi engineer (15 pt guy)

mowang with akrylat and red fury

flash bot

daoying LT

In the end won the game 7-0
    Guija shot and destroyed 5 guys, which included all his hackers (so nice)
    had opponents tag in ZoC of my hacker via remote.
    But in the end he managed to destroy the guija with his TO sniper with multi rifle.
    Caught the guija out of cover.

It was a nice match and played well. Was lucky that the lsit wasn't dependent on the guija at all.
    Did miss some forward deployed stuff

KwarkyMats and Stuffist like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation