1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are characters given a points discount just for being characters?

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Hecaton, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

I'm looking at some of the points values for the Defiance characters; is there a "you are a character" points discount, and who thought that was a good idea?

theradrussian likes this.
  2. gregmurdock

gregmurdock Extremely Beloved Member

Jazz is:
    HD 8 points
    SMG 3
    Pitcher 1
    Cybermines 1
    1 CC 1
    2 WIP 2
    6 BTS 2

What other characters seem too cheap?

3. Vaulsc

Vaulsc Well-Known Member

There should be a mission called "character assassination" where you get bonus objective points for killing characters :)

4. Fathoym

Fathoym Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Make this happen. I'd play it :D

5. Hecaton

Comparing her to, say, an Alguacile hacker seems to not match up.

meikyoushisui likes this.
  6. gregmurdock

gregmurdock Extremely Beloved Member

HD 8
    Combi 8
    1 WIP 1
    1 ARM 1

SMG is cheap as shit.

7. Hecaton

The points costs are entirely out of wack with respect to their efficacy on the tabletop, then.

meikyoushisui and gregmurdock like this.
  8. deltakilo

deltakilo Bear of Butcher bay
    Warcor

Theres good units and theres poor ones. overwhelmingly the system itself protects us from massive unbalances but yes their "formula" has issues.

Uma is a good example, she has three main arm weapons and pays for them all making her poor. Double Smgs which are traditionally considered good are mitigated by the fact she is still paying for a breaker combi.

Jazz on the other hand only has one weapon and as a result she is considered an efficient unit.

Uma being bad or Jazz being good isnt a big deal though. Corregidor could use some love and Pano has been spoilt recently so they can live.

One thing ill say about design is the more often they do the same thing the harder it is to be relevant. Pano getting a high bs mimetism unit for example is such a congested space that for Uma to be good she either has to have a different role/do something different or be cost effective at her job. She ends up doing the same job but not efficiently. Jazz on the other hand does the same thing for nomads (hacking) but does it efficiently so is useful.

9. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

HD -> HD upg = +0
    Combi -> SMG = -6
    BTS 0 -> 6 = +2
    ARM 1 -> 0 = -1
    WIP 13 -> 14 = +2
    Pitcher = +1
    Cybermines = +2
    18/0,5 -> 18/0,5 checks out. Billie is even a tiny bit surprisingly expensive.

Just An SMG Thing™

10. Armihaul

Armihaul Well-Known Member

is not for beign characters, is for using the new formula

11. Hecaton

What?

12. Armihaul

O12 used a new formula, the last bolt revision used the new formula, now those characters are using the new formula. That's my guess

In the new formula everything is cheaper? no, some things would go up, some would go down, so, some profiles seem that use the old formula because afected habilities maintain cost or the minus compensate de bonus, while on other, seem that they got cheaper by the face

13. Mahtamori

I'm not so sure.

What seem to have changed with O-12 is on a few premium equipment combinations. While a Lynx is a Hexa that's a bit cheaper, the Hexa is also really really old, predating most unit designs by this point. Omega is the only one that stands out to me, but that's because it seems they scrapped the mandatory HI premium cost on abilities (Omega seems to be paying as much for ODD as Myrmidons do, and not as much as Hexas pay for TO which is what would be expected from HI)

What I'm saying is, I can't see any trace of any of the "new formula" stuff on the new profiles, and the "new formula" is a not very extensive.
    Well, possibly on Uma who seems to pay a reasonably low price on both SMG when you consider she has a Breaker Combi as well.

14. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

Have you hit the reset button on your brain or didn't you pay bother to do the basic math on any of the Profiles?
    The characters add up pretty much to the point with about any price rule we know about for for the last 3 years or so.
    Shot in the dark at riling up some foaming ragers with nothing better to do or something?
    -5 for SMGs and +1 for Cybermines to the best of my knowledge.
    Other than that spot on.
    For everyone who doesn't know - Upgrade Programs are free. Part of why especially Maestro can be friggin broken.

15. Armihaul

Maybe, but then, bolts vs wildcats, now veteran+bioinmunity is cheaper than multiterrain+courage, when until now was more expensive, by 1 point. Is not that the changes are high, but in some units affect more than in others.

theradrussian likes this.
  16. Mahtamori

The combi + light shotgun change has been in game quite some time, see among others Aragoto. Bolt is to my knowledge the only old profiles to be updated to it.

17. Armihaul

Take a look at the spitfire ones, the wildcat is 1 point more expensive.

18. Mahtamori

The Bolt Spitfire hasn't changed since N3 release in 2014. Wildcat Spitfire was last reconstructed in 2016 with HSN3 if I don't miss my mark.

19. Armihaul

As far as I remember, last time all bolt profiles got a little discount, they were all more expensive than wildcats, but now not. I might be mistaken there

20. Mahtamori

You only have to open an old copy of the rules PDF, because those have the 2014 stats and costs of Bolts ;)

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation