1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The art of passive-aggressiveness (Shas)

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by smog, Jun 24, 2019.

1. smog

smog Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Hello there!

I have been playing Infinity since N3. First with CA/Onyx, and then YJ/Invincible army. The reason I picked CA was basically the Noctifer model. I come from Warhammer fantasy with Skaven, Wood elves and 40k with Tyranids and chaos marines. I’ve always been drawn towards the sinister and dark armies that use sneaky tactics to win games. So shasvastii was a natural army to pick. But when I started, I was advised not to play them as a beginner.

Now, several years of experience later, and with the release of the SEF, it’s the perfect time to dive into Shasvastii proper.

I like to document my games, so that I can better learn from my (many) mistakes. I am in no way a great player and often get stressed out during games, which clouds my judgement.

This thread will be my way of documenting my games with SEF and discuss the decisions I made, the lists and ways to improve my games.

If you are looking at expert advise or great insights, I’m afraid you’ve come to the wrong place. But if you would like to see a middle to low tier player bumble about, trying to figure out the ins and outs of a new sectorial, keep reading.

Soon, I’ll start playing with the lists where I don’t have to proxy as many models, document them and post them in this thread.

Stay tuned!

DustGod, Willen, Wolf and 1 other person like this.
  2. smog

smog Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Game 1
    Engineering deck vs Nomads

Sorry for the formatting

Engineering Deck──────────────────────────────────────────────────GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]10 GWAILO Lieutenant (Multispectral Visor L2) Heavy Rocket Launcher / Breaker Pistol, Knife. (2 | 43) VICTOR MESSER (Hacking Device Plus) Boarding Shotgun, 2 Nanopulser, D-Charges / Breaker Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 28) M-DRONE FTO (Nanoscreen) Combi Rifle / Electric Pulse. (0 | 23) MED-TECH OBSIDON MEDCHANOID Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 23) CALIBAN (Chain of Command) Submachine Gun, Pulzar, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife, CC Weapon. (0 | 29) SLAVE DRONE Electric Pulse. (0 | 3) IKADRON (Baggage, Repeater) 2 Light Flamethrowers, Flash Pulse / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0 | 9) SHROUDED Hacker (EI Killer Hacking Device) Combi Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 27) R-DRONE Flash Pulse, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 8) Q-DRONE Plasma Rifle / Electric Pulse. (1 | 25) SPECULO KILLER Boarding Shotgun, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, Monofilament CCW, Knife. (1 | 34)GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]1 [​IMG]3 [​IMG]3 NOCTIFER Missile Launcher / Assault Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 32) TAIGHA Chain-colt / AP + Shock CCW. (0 | 5) TAIGHA Chain-colt / AP + Shock CCW. (0 | 5) TAIGHA Chain-colt / DA CC Weapon. (0 | 6) 6 SWC | 300 PointsOpen in Infinity Army

My plan was to have the caliban and shrouded take two consoles, then take a further console with the caliban while using the Noctifer, Q-drone and haris to take threaten the objective room. Dr Worm is designated Xenotech baby-sitter. In this scenario, the doors are open from the start, so the Noctifer can get a long firing lane through it. Victor Messer is only 5 pts and 0.5 SWC more than a M-drone and is better for clearing the objective room with his boarding shotgun.

Nomad list:
    [​IMG]

I pick Net-undermine as my classified, since the Caliban is well suited being CoC and an aggressive FD2 model.

I won the Lt roll and chose deployment. I usually do that because I like to react to my opponent’s deployment and I usually don’t play very aggressive. My opponent chose to go second based on the mission objectives. I had to ask him twice because I would never do that vs an army with impersonators and my opponent had never played vs impersonators before, but he kept his choice.

I chose the side I did because both my consoles were easy to protect and I got a fire lane from the back of my DZ through the objective room in case he tried to enter from his side.

Deployment

[​IMG]

I changed my mind about the caliban taking the console and let Dr Worm take that job instead so Caliban could spend orders being aggressive instead and move up behind the two taighas who were sent in to clear mines. Speculo was given the task of taking out the TR bot for the taighas and caliban. The haris were to provide long range fire power from behind the objective room and the troops on the right where tasked with taking and protecting my right console.

SEF Turn 1:
    Taighas move up, but stay out of LoF from the camo markers on the left side in case they are mines.

Speculo moves up to take the TR bot. My opponent has several AROs and choose a mix between Discover and Delay, but fails his Discover rolls. The Speculo runs into cc with the TR-bot which shoots back. But with -12 MODs for range, surprise attack and MA, it auto fails and is destroyed. In hindsight, my opponent wished he had used Electric pulse instead. The Speculo takes a few other AROs, including a crazy koala and dies.

With not that many orders left to be aggressive, I spend the last ones taking the objectives, lying mines and re-camo my shrouded.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nomads turn 1:
    Morlock at the right lays down smoke and the HMG intruder shoots and kills my right Taigha and the flash pulse bot.

Zero on the left lays down a mine to stop my left side taighas.

Moran takes right side console and moves to outside the objective room, placing the multi scanner along the way.

Morlock on the left tries to kill taighas with his chain rifle, but I manage my dodge rolls.

SEF turn 2:
    My taighas run around the corner and the first one takes two mines to the face while killing the zero with its chain colt. The second taigha moves and dodges, but takes a hit from a crazy koala and dies. The have done a great job in clearing the way for the caliban though.

Caliban moves up and manages to get behind the morlock who delays while the Moran discovers and fails. I want to use protheion on the unconscious zero to gain a wound. Unfortunately, I forget that the Moran still has LoF, so the Caliban takes an ARO and is back down to 1 wound, out of cover and out of marker state. Woops! The caliban move to cover and fires his sub machine gun at the Moran, but the Moran wins the FtF and the caliban goes down! I shouldn’t have been so greedy, or at least gone prone behind the cover so the Moran wouldn’t be able to see the Caliban as it revealed. The caliban would’ve been able to cause all sorts of trouble, including taking/threatening the console, killing Mary problems and completing my classified.

I spend the last orders moving the haris towards the objective room and Dr Worm and the Xenotech towards the objective room while placing the multi scanner.

Nomads turn 2:
    My opponent takes the left side console and uses white noise to block LoF for my Gwailo. It doesn’t stop the M-drone from critting a flash pulse vs the Taskmaster though, saving the Gwailos for the turn. His left most morlock and Mary Problems hides behind the big building on the left.

[​IMG]

SEF turn 3
    With no way to threaten his consoles in a meaningful way, I go to try and secure the objective room and center console. Dr Worm moves the Xenotech into the room. Both Victor Messer and Gwailo have Stealth, so are able to Move-Move into the room without triggering hacking attacks. Useful! Victor takes the console and goes into NWI from hacking attacks or crazy koalas, I can’t remember.

[​IMG]

Nomads turn 3
    The morlock on the right moves towards the objective room, but takes a missile to the face from the Noctifer.

[​IMG]

Victor Messer is killed by Mary Problems in a hacking battle. Interventor places a White Noise inside the room. Mary Problems tries to immobilize the Gwailo with hacking, but fails on accord of BTS 9. The Taskmaster then moves forward and fires at the Gwailo unsuccessfully. My opponent runs out of orders, but not before taking the console and kidnapping my Xenotech!

[​IMG]

Nomads:
    Classified (Extreme prejudice): 1
    Controlling more consoles: 4
    Placed multiscanner: 1

SEF:
    Placed multiscanner: 1

What I could have done different:
    - Place the TR bot on the ground to have it more easily available to be aggressive. I was too scared of getting hit by his morlock if I placed the TR bot on ground level
    - I could’ve deployed the Noctifer where the flash pulse was. I couldn’t have known the nomad player wouldn’t enter the room from his side, but the position of the flash pulse bot would’ve given the Noctifer a lot more opportunities to shoot
    - Don’t get greedy with regards to using protheion before making sure the Caliban was out of LoF of the Moran. If I had moved prone to cover first I could’ve killed the morlock on the left by shooting it in the back and THEN eating the zero and re-camoing.
    - I would still have chosen deployment, but it’s clear that taking second turn is very good in these sort of scenarios where scoring is done at the end of the game

Apart from this, I am happy about my deployment and decisions.

If you would’ve done things differently, please comment below, I’d love to get some feedback!

#2 smog, Jun 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Melchior, volgo, Wolf and 1 other person like this.
  3. smog

smog Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I finally got to play another game!

This time against one of our newest players that plays Onyx.

We used Comlog to randomly suggest a mission and it was the Armoury. I have written an all-rounder list and I decided to use it with a little bit of tweaking:

[​IMG]

Plan:

Take turn 2

Deployment and battle plan:

• Q-drone and ikadron covering the same fire lane with the Q-drone ready to move out to be aggressive if needed. The slave drone goes here as well

• Noctifer and R-drone in the same fire lane

• Speculo on a rooftop near his DZ with a mine on the ground level. She is my distraction carnifex and the mine should cost him a few orders to clear / go around

• Mentor and camo token watching a table edge for AD troops

• Seed-soldiers guarding the short fire lane entrances to my DZ in case he tries some sort of alpha strike

• Nox hacker ready to unlock the room if needed, and provide supportware

• Caliban relatively close to the Objective room to kill some dudes and gain a wound or two before taking the room in turn three

• Taigha: two to clear the room each turn, two on the flanks. NB! Make sure not to have any camo tokens in their paths!

• Shrouded dazer minelayer to force my opponent to spend even more orders getting to the objective room and make it harder to shoot my ARO-pieces

• Cadmus to land in turn to to mess up his back room and cheerleaders

His list:

[​IMG]

I won the Lt roll and opted to go second, even if it means giving him both deployment and turn 1. There is a risk of getting badly alpha struck, but I think this mission is so dependant on getting second turn to win, and hopefully all the camo and obstacles will hinder him enough to stop him from doing too much damage.

The board from my side:

[​IMG]

My deployment from left to right:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I managed to make the PH roll to infiltrate the shrouded dazer minelayer past the 24” mark and my Speculo in reserve was placed on the same rooftop with her mine right outside his DZ.

His deployment:

[​IMG]

He kept Ko Dali in reserve and place her next to the speculo. He fails to infiltrate the malignos past the 24” mark and puts him at the back of his DZ behind the ikadron.

Onyx turn 1:

On starts his turn by using the M-drone to move + sensor to discover the shrouded. The mine goes off and the M-drone is unconscious.

[​IMG]

He then spends many orders using Ko Dali to kill the shrouded, eat its corpse (ew!) and Discover the speculo

[​IMG][​IMG]

The umbra super jumps of the building and discovers the speculo completely and then Ko Dali puts her unconscious.

[​IMG]

Next, the Overdron jumps down from the building to set up shop behind the barricades while the Umbra moves closer to the objective room while destroying the dazer.

[​IMG]

The Q-drone fires at the R-drone in my DZ. I reveal my Noctifer behind the R-drone (surprise!) and the Q-drone is forced to split bursts, failing to do any damage to any of my units. This ends Onyx turn one. He has spent all 10 orders and has managed to kill my shrouded, and put the speculo in unconcious, but a part from that, I’ve contained him to just outside his DZ.

[​IMG][​IMG]

SEF turn 1:

I forgot to take any pictures of my first orders, but the taigha move up, while taking AROs from the Overdron. One blast template hits my leftmost seed soldier, but luckily the Overdron fails his BS roll and misses. The taigha stops moving next to the seed-embryo and the seed soldier starts sweating inside his egg. The rightmost taigha almost does the same, but is a bit too far away from the leftmost seed-embryo for the template to hit, but the taigha dies. The central left taigha is given a few more orders and forces a change facing ARO on the Samaritan, Overdron and Maakrep with its first Move, which means I can use the second Move to move around the corner and into btb with the Samaritan. Unfortunately, taking a shooting ARO from the Q-drone the taigha is killed before I can do any damage.

[​IMG]

I then spend an order on the Nox hacker to crawl closer to the Objective Room and use Controlled Jump and I land the Cadmus amongst his troops. Luckily all his AROs are against the decoys

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I move the Q-drone around the back of the building to threaten his umbra and overdron, but I’m unable to do any damage, even with assisted fire from the Nox hacker.

I manage to run the leftmost taigha close to the objective room thanks to it being S1 and behind the Q-drone so the Overdron didn’t have LoF to it. I also move my ikadron, caliban and nox hacker closer to the objective room. The last orders are spent moving the caliban even closer to the enemy DZ, having him discovered in the process.

[​IMG]

Onyx turn 2:
    [​IMG]

He spends an order using Bit to open the objective doors and moves the umbra inside while gunning at the nox hacker. I ARO with the zapper and the umbra (liutenant) is isolated!

His Lt isolated, my opponent decides to try and use Dr. Worm and his apprentice to fix them. The slave drone runs past the Q-drone and the cadmus to reach the Umbra inside the objective room and I forget to fire the seed-embryos chest mine! *sad trombone*[​IMG]

He spends an order on the Maakrep to turn around and fire at the Cadmus/Seed-embryo, but this time I remember to fire the chest mine. I hit the Maakrep, slave drone and KISS. and put the Maakrep and KISS down, while the slave drone makes his armor save!

[​IMG]

He spends more orders on his slave drone and he heals the Maakrep and goes into the Objective room to fix the isolated state on the Umbra. After that he uses the umbra to move and shoot out of the objective room and kills my ikadron who is standing with its back to the door and the caliban who was standing out in the open out of camo state.
    [​IMG]

SEF turn 2

My Taigha who was standing outisde the left side of the objective room runs inside towards the Umbra, uses Berserk and they both kill each other. Not a bad trade for SEF!

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, about this time I stop taking pictures because that’s what usually happens in turn 2-3 I’ve come to experience! I think I get too caught up in the game to remember to take them. I spend an order on the Q-drone to move it so that it covers his closest door, my plan is to put him in suppressive fire there.The Overdron manages to beat the Q-drone with his ARO and kills the Q-drone. This might come of as very unlucky, but looking at the infinity dice calculator, actually isn’t. Its about a 30% split between either models taking a wound and neither doing any damage.

[​IMG]

Either way, at this point, I have very little trops left to contest the objective room, so I start doing coordinated orders with my seed soldiers (who auto hatch at the order count stage of turn 2), ikadron and mentor to move points up to the objective room.

One seed soldier is shot dead by his Q-drone, the other ones makes it into the objective room, but is shot through the door by the Q-drone on the other side, falling limply on the floor as a spawn-embryo. The ikadron stops before entering LoF to the same Q-drone and the mentor camps outside the objective room on my side.

At the end of my round, I get an objective point because the dead seed soldier still counts for controlling the objective points and beats the 3 pt slave drone.

Onyx turn 3:

My opponent moves Ko Dali over to the speculo’s spawn-embryo and eats her (wait, thats kind of ho- eeeww no!) and securing the Classified (Extreme prejudice) before climbing down and entering the objective room to secure it. The Maakrep tracker does the same and moves up to discover the Mentor successfully. Ko Dali then tries to shoot at it and takes a boarding shotgun blast that hits the Maakrep as well. She beats the Mentor, but the Mentor passes his armor save and ducks further behind the wall. The Maakrep also makes his armor roll. The Overdron blocks the furthest door with its massive frame.

SEF turn 3: Having too few points available to get into the objective room, my Mentor spends all my 3 orders + Lt order to re-camo and move to where my opponent's HVT is, securing it and me an objective point. Good game!

Lessons learned:

Deployment:

I should have placed the seed soldiers somewhere where the Taighas wouldn’t pass them with their impetous orders. It almost cost me a seed soldier. I also should have put the shrouded and speculo at different spots, forcing him to split his resources more if he wanted to deal with them. Although I lost them both turn 1, my opponent basically spent his whole turn to do it, which is a great trade in my eyes.

I should have been more careful with the Caliban. Its job was to just wait until turn 3 to move into the objective room, not getting too close to his line and get discovered, leaving it standing in the open like some doofus! I was a bit unsure what to spend my orders on in turn 1, but in this scenario it’s not a bad idea to just hold and wait if I have second turn. Going from Invincible Army to Shasvastii requires a big mental shift, but I’m usually a patient guy, so I’m sure I’ll get the hang of it eventually. For instance, if I had kept my camo guys and seed soldiers alive till turn three, I could have walked them in one by one and unless they took two wounds from AROs, I could’ve easily have swamped the objective room with points to contest it.

I liked the Cadmus, although I was lucky not to get hit while he landed. I could easily have dropped it out of LoF for the maakrep and overdron. Also, forgetting the chest mines against the slave drone’s first order was crucial. Taking out the Q-drone with that would have made a very big difference!

The Taighas are just bonkers! Having a 6 point model that can trade like that is amazing. Now I know how haqq players must feel about their mutts! Only mine are 6-6 and I can have eight of them! XD

Either way, it was a very fun game and I can’t wait to play more Shasvastii!

#3 smog, Aug 15, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Melchior and Azuset like this.
  4. DustGod

DustGod Well-Known Member

Looking forward to more :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5. smog

smog Well-Known Member
    Warcor

You are in luck! I just had a game and boy, was it a doozy!

I’ll write it up later though.

Brokenwolf and DustGod like this.
  6. DustGod

DustGod Well-Known Member

Keep em' Coming...

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation