1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vido Gams!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic English' started by maru, Dec 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. maru

maru Well-Known Member

Freespace 2 on GoG for Free

2. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

60% discount on Steam for Terraforming Mars
    The whole Asmodée Digital catalog has various rebates too.

3. leigen_zero

leigen_zero Morat Pacifist

So, serious video gaming question for the sphere. Does anyone else have a serious problem actually completing video games. I don't think I've actually finished a game since probably the nintendo 64 era.

For some reason, I always stop playing and end up dropping the game and never going back to it, I've got a switch and maybe a dozen games for it, not completed a single one. As an example, I was really enjoying BotW, played for ages, started making decent main quest progress (on my 2nd divine beast) and for a reason I can't fathom I've just dropped it. Admittedly I dont get much free time between work and the kids but could probably wrangle an hour a night and I have RSI which puts me off (a night of heavy gaming just means aching arms the next day in work) but I just can't bring myself to put the cartridge in and get playing again.

Anyone else like this or is it just me?

Belgrim and Del S like this.
  4. jfunkd

jfunkd hard forum hittin Carlos
    Warcor

It's not just you.

I rarely complete RPGs unless I'm playing coop. I frequently restart games to change my character or team, so I often play them a lot of hours without finishing.

For instance, I think I made about 5 characters in FO4 and perused all of the different factions, but I never once saw the end.

#684 jfunkd, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    leigen_zero likes this.
  5. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

Well, I don't have such problem in general, but when I do, it's mostly because of what I perceive as pacing issues. When games start throwing repetitive challenges at you without progressing anywhere, it starts to strain my patience unless it's a game that is supposed to be replayable with some variance (rouglikes etc). Or if game becomes bland and uneventful after a particularly tense chapter with seemingly nothing unresolved and similarly interesting in sight (because normally I enjoy brief breaks), interest tends to die rather quickly.

So, maybe games you play do something like that. For example, perhaps you enjoy character establishment in early game and what the game does later doesn't hold your interest?

6. roobot

roobot Well-Known Member

I may be about seven years late here, but hot damn FTL is really good.

Barrogh, Alfy, colbrook and 1 other person like this.
  7. Del S

Del S Tunguskaball

Sometimes. Especially RPGs where I can get distracted messing with side quests and such...

leigen_zero likes this.
  8. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

I know the feeling

leigen_zero and Rumdog like this.
  9. Alfy

Alfy Well-Known Member

I usually don't start a new game until I've finished the one I'm playing. Like Barrogh, I only drop them if they're boring, otherwise it's all the way to the end.

But I have to say I seem to be an exception in my play group. Most of my friends pick a game up, play maybe a dozen hours and switch to the next. I happen to think they're just a bunch incapable barbarians with low hand-eye coordination, but they just seem to lack the self-awareness to recognise this fact...

10. Barrogh

I wouldn't say I meant boring in general.
    Case in point, I think Halcyon 6 is pretty good. But when the game keeps throwing one intermediate boss after another after your team has maxed out and side quests are done, you begin to feel it becomes a bit repetitive.

Aaand I'm currently back to Into the Breach. Sometimes it feels good to play something without dice, real or virtual.

roobot likes this.
  11. leigen_zero

leigen_zero Morat Pacifist

I wish I could say that was the case, but the types of games I play are quite varied so I think it's not so much a problem with the game

To be honest that kinda describes my gameplay patterns (call me a barbarian if you must :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), I'll play something quite intensely for a few weeks (note, I average maybe 4 hours a week tops atm) then just stop playing, even though I'm enjoying the game, it annoys me more because I can't figure out why I stopped, rather than the act of not playing itself.

I have kinda noticed that 'not finishing things' seems to be a recurring pattern in my hobbies, TV shows - I tend to watch for ages then put off watching the finale/pre-finale episodes for weeks or months, and I can't remember the last time I actually finished a miniatures project...

12. Rizzy

Rizzy Armchair Strategos L3

I received my Backer's copy of Indivisible. Played about an hour so far. Combat is weird, but fun. Artstyle is great. Jump and run through the world may be too easy for some, but it is okay for me, because I am bad at it. Voice acting is good. I like Razmi.

13. chaos11

chaos11 Well-Known Member

I rarely complete games too, although I did complete both God of War and Red Dead 2 (the story anyway, not 100% either or anything). But those are notable exceptions. I don't know why, either. Often it's not like I don't enjoy it or feel bored by it, I just end up not finishing it.

leigen_zero likes this.
  14. FireFangs

FireFangs Space Oni

I don't finish games all the time. For me it's either that the game burns out because I play too much too fast, or the game is too fun and I don,t want to finish, so I end up starting over without finishing.

That's why Cyberpunk scares me a lil. I might never finish it!

Belgrim and csjarrat like this.
  15. roobot

roobot Well-Known Member

@Barrogh Into the Breach is unreal! It arguably may not have as much reply value as FTL, but it is the most perfectly balanced game that I have ever come across! I have completed it on hard with all except the Steel Judoka, just can't get the hang of them! So the mystery squad will forever be out of my reach! Lol

16. Barrogh

The only specific advice I can give is to try and run them with certain warlike old friend of ours as a starting pilot of the Prime.

Thing about its layout is that Vice Fist is actually a solid secondary weapon, but it's too situational to be your main caliber. And Kazaakpleth'Kilik instantly solves that issue by providing a Titan Fist equivalent.

With solid Prime, okay Ranged and more or less usable Science mechs you should be fine.

Granted, fishing for achievements may be a bit bothersome still, but it depends.

17. Pen-dragon

Pen-dragon Deva

There is no such thing as a finished miniatures project. Even if you get everything assembled, painted, based, touched up, and assuming you don't hate it, strip it and start over, then you still have to get the companion piece that goes with/compliments the first piece. Even if you built, every load out, of every troop choice of a faction, that just means its time to start an opposing faction, to use as loaner army / diorama pieces. Legend has it, if any fan ever 'finishes' a gaming project, that gaming company dies! That is why miniature companies are always so eager to release new models/rules.

leigen_zero likes this.
  18. csjarrat

csjarrat Well-Known Member

Yeah it's rare I finish a game. The mass effect series notwithstanding (I always finish those!), There's only really civ and xcom that have drawn me in enough to play lots and complete them

19. maru

maru Well-Known Member

So EPig store is giving away an Alan wake and
    Observer - last if i recall performence of Rudger Hauer beside Valerian
    both games are good and different Observer is a walking symulator cyber thriler with good music and Roy Betty Voicover ;)

o and holy guacamole - 17 th was a crazy day in terms of good game relice date
    Disco Asylum (15 th )
    Sea saly . Felix the reaper
    Chernobylite

Abrilete likes this.
  20. Belgrim

Belgrim Well-Known Member

Are you me?

Στάλθηκε από το Mi A2 Lite μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation