1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Program for designing terrain and making plans?

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by MAlgol, Feb 20, 2018.

1. MAlgol

MAlgol I couldn't tackle the bear

Looking for a good free program for designing terrain and make plans that you can print out and cut after or that can shows the measurement on the printed page (or some other good solution to get it done with Foam core and a knife).

I have no real experience with anything like this so it should be as simple as possible. And I can't afford to buy one.

cheers,
    MAlgol

2. Icchan

Icchan Well-Known Member

Sketchup or QCad

#2 Icchan, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Stiopa likes this.
  3. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

I think you can print to measurement using GIMP, and it's free. I use ti mostly for printing the "skins" I glue to boxes, however ^^U

4. n21lv

n21lv SymbioHate

5. Captain Spud

Captain Spud Maker of Things

I do all of my designs in a 2D vector graphics program. I use Adobe Illustrator myself, but there are some free alternatives that will do the same job.

6. toaster

toaster Modelling Madman

Sketchup is great for 3D design and it's easy to pull pieces out and make a flat view with dimensions for a cutting plan, but after the 1 month trial you lose the ability to export PDF images and have to use JPEG which doesn't retain vector information so may not scale right on your printer. What sketchup isn't great for is producing textures to be glued to stuff you want an image editor type program for that.

Robert

7. MAlgol

MAlgol I couldn't tackle the bear

Sketchup i have tried and will probably go back to sometime, its a tad heavy but I guess most it at the start.
    Had a look at Tinkercad the other day. Seems really simple at first at least, will try it out more.

8. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

An idea that somebody suggested long ago on the original forums for a very similar thread was to use the level designer of a FPS game. It fills all the checkboxes we need, and by it's very nature it'll give you a 3D model of the scenery at the end for you to walk through.
    In fact, i imagine that somebody could take one from a free software game and adapt it for our needs.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation