1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for Design SW

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by Cannon Fodder, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder Well-Known Member

I'm joining my local Maker-space to get access to a laser cutter and need suggestions for a good desktop SW. I'm familiar with Sketchup, but the Non-Pro version does not let you save the files locally, and I think I'll need that to bring the files to the maker-space. I don't mind paying a moderate price for the SW, but I don't want to have to pay a subscription fee for something I plan on using sparatically.

When I spoke to the guys there they said the PC has Autolaser which appears to be a open source app, but I think that's just to use the machine, not for design.

Any suggestions.

2. itsuncertainwho

itsuncertainwho Well-Known Member

Autodesk Fusion 360 is free to use. It is a full on 3D CAD/CAM package and can be a bear to learn, but there are a lot of tutorials available.

If you are looking for just a vector drawing package, Affinity Designer is good and cheap. It's not Adobe Illustrator, but it should be able to do anything you need.

3. moonpost

moonpost New Member

I will second the recommendation for Affinity Designer. I've heard Inkscape is good and is also free. I think in most cases as long as you can export an .EPS or .SVG with the right line colors and thicknesses you should be good to go for a laser cutter. They should have a class for you (they should likely require it so you don't set anything on fire) to cover the basics and I bet they something on the computer, no? Ours has Illustrator and Corel Draw, for example.

4. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I have the class tomorrow. I was given a quick tour of the work area and their computers looked a little old, and asked if I can bring my own and connect to the Laser cutter. It's a non-profit (or not for profit) maker-space so some of the tools they have are a little used.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation