1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battle system table - Need feedback

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by Arkhos94, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Arkhos94

Arkhos94 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of bringing a battle system table to my next tournament but I never build a table with it

First step is to build the "wall structure", will add boxes, containers... (and a mat) later.

Here is the result of my first try :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All walls have unlimited height, I'm thinking of classifying all door as wide gate.

Any opinion ?

Should the small door be wide door to keep it simple or narrow gate to make things more complicated ?

What do you think of the structure itself ? Enough LoF for everyone ?

timberfox, andre61 and Zewrath like this.
  2. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder Well-Known Member

It can work, but one of the aspects I like of infinity is the 3rd dimension. With that many infinite height walls you basically have a 2D game. Having the walls that are climbable over adds option to players. Do I spend order going around, or do I climb over and risk aros? It would also need some buildings to add more LOS blockers for climbing over things.. A table with all that would add lots of cover, some bottle necks that are possible to bypass.

As with all table set ups its a matter or preference.

jherazob likes this.
  3. Captain Spud

Captain Spud Maker of Things

Right, but like... variety. Nothing wrong with one indoor table at an event that's otherwise made of outdoor bricks.

4. cory

cory Well-Known Member

The doors of an indoor table can significantly change game play by excessively channeling movement. If you go this route I suggest allowing all of the walls to be breachable.

jherazob likes this.
  5. Arkhos94

I don't want high position with long line of fire but I can easily add some 3D. I can add some 1st floot walkway around the biggest room. I may also use it to add some more door, but on the first floot, accesible through stairs/ladder.

I will think on it. Thans for these first feedback

jherazob likes this.
  6. Tourniquet

Tourniquet TJC Tech Support

I pick the third option, I make my own door behind them then set them on fire.

Also with things like catwalks "Through" the walls can create some interesting traversal on a second level.

7. Aspect Graviton

Aspect Graviton Friendly Alien Overlord
    Warcor

a forced 2D table could work very well,
    • I'd say you definately need some chest high scatter, as is it'll be a seriers of doorway to doorway 1v1 firefights with predictable ranges, there is also as it stands no purpose to going prone as you don't have a vantage point to anyone and you can't really improve your cover with those doorways.
    • Height is probably the defining aspect of a lot of tables so a rationed bit like the gantries you mentioned would be good as it adds more options.
    • Areas with some visual or suppression mods would also probably be a boon, once again to add some more options since you're adding a global restriction.
    • I'd also lean into it, have the walls be breachable, limit spec fire and AD
    I wouldn't mind playing on that table with what you're suggesting so far in an event for a round but I'd be pretty irked for more than one if you get where I'm coming from.

8. Savnock

Savnock Nerfherder

That table is going to be great, as long as you have some interesting scatter terrain, large engine units, etc. inside the rooms so that units can gain height against other units in the same room, have stuff to climb on, etc.

Like @Aspect Graviton I agree that you will want breachable walls as part of the terrain rules. It adds other possible routes, and prevents truly brutal bottlenecks with no solution.

Also agreeing with him again, do try visual mods in certain rooms. White Noise works well in engine rooms. Saturation Zone and Low Vis could work in an aquaponics room (and will let you put some random plants in there).

9. Arkhos94

Thanks for the additionnal feedback

Regarding scatters, battle system includes a lot of them and I will add them on my second test

There are some big generator (around S5 size). I have been thinking of using them to make special rule for room (example => white noise in room with generator)

I also have a lot of strut and air duct : both of them are made to be hang to a wall. It will provide a lot of cover on all corridor
    Air duct.JPG Strut.JPG

Finally I have at least 30+ crate and S3 sized locker that will provide good chest high cover and a lot of big flat screen (roughly : as large as S4 and a little higher than S2) to provide total cover.

Regarding limiting AD : I'm not sure. We add a table like this on a previous tournament and the people I discuss it didn't like it

Regarding limiting spec fire : with a table like this, I agree but I don't want to add closed door, so how will you do it ?

I should have time this evening to do a second test build. I will come back with some new picture

10. eccobold

eccobold Member

Thank you for sharing your idea. I'm tempted to try a 2d table sometime. So far I love my BattleSystem Terrain, especially because it is so versatile and I can always make new tables out of it without having to treat myself to a cellar full of terrain. I hope you don't mind if I post some photos of my tables here. I think this might give you some ideas, because I understood your initial post to mean that you have no experience with BattleSystems.

city_table.jpg outpost_ingame.jpg outpost_table.jpg

11. eccobold

eccobold Member

Another thing that comes to mind is a central large room with a double height. At the edge of the room there is a path on the 1st floor. Maybe there is also a bridge and plenty of containers to prevent LOF. You could enter the room via the basic level or directly on the 1st floor via stairs leading up from the surrounding corridors. I hope you understand what I mean. In a hurry I couldn't find a better picture than the following, but I think the idea is clear.

https://battlesystemstws.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/battlesystems-prototype-1261.jpg

*disclaimer: I only posted a link because I don't know if it's advisable to add pictures here that I didn't shoot myself.

12. Arkhos94

I have been thinking of something like that. I used excel to do some plan of the table I want to build

This is the table as shown in the picture (dotted line represent the door section):

Test 1.JPG
    And this is what I will try building this evening (grey area represent second level, red dotted line represent second level doors) :

Test 2.JPG

SupersexyJohn, volgo and jherazob like this.
  13. Arkhos94

Here is test 2 with mat and a second level.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sadly, I don't have enough wall to create all the walkway I wanted. I have 4 or 5 10cm walls and a dozen 5cm walls left, enough for some more walkway but not a lot.

I will now work on where to add the stairs, ladders and scatters

14. Shingen

Shingen Well-Known Member

Looking great, how many sets have you used to create that set up? Four mats?

I went for similar idea with 3d printed terrain as I couldn’t figure out how many boxes from Battlesystems I’d need to populate decent 4x4.

Koin-Koin likes this.
  15. eccobold

eccobold Member

The second level has a lot to offer in any case. I'm curious to see what your final table will look like at the end.

16. Arkhos94

I kickstarted 4 set during their SCI-FI 2 kickstarter. 2 of them are frontier set and it's the one I used here (plus a lot of walls/door that where available at strech goal). This is also why I have a lot of scatters : I have 3 battlesystem box full of crate, chair, command table, generator...

17. Aspect Graviton

Aspect Graviton Friendly Alien Overlord
    Warcor

Looking good so far!

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation