1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New player needing help deciding what sectoral to go

Discussion in 'PanOceania' started by Greenhadouken, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Greenhadouken

Greenhadouken Active Member

Hi all! I've recently started playing Infinity. I've played through Operation Icestorm, with the intention of getting Byond Icestorm. However, the player I will be playing against the most uses ALEPH. I like both the NCA and VIRD, but I was wondering if one performs better than the other against ALEPH. I have the following units:

Pano starter set with the father knight
    Auxilia
    Cutter

I like the HI from NCA better, but I like the LI better from VIRD, specifically Kamau. Any guidance would be appreciated.

barakiel likes this.
  2. barakiel

barakiel Echo Bravo Master Sergeant

That basically defines the difference between the two Sectorials. NCA's going to be utilizing those ultra-capable heavy infantry, supported by a bevy of inexpensive-but-capable 1-Wound units.

VIRD's not HI-centric, but focuses extensively around 1-Wound units, particularly the medium-cost Snake Eaters.

I think NCA"s easier to start with, simply because dumping 10 Orders into a Swiss Guard and then picking up the pieces after is a pretty general way to learn the game. It's not too hard to run Swiss, Bulleteers and Hexas at people, while your 1-Wound link team sits around and protects itself.

VIRD, despite its power level, requires pretty intense subtlety and mechanics mastery to get the most out of it. You have to layer and overlap its defenses. Once you do, it's one of the best defenses in the game, but it you have to know how the various rules interact (and how the opponent can counter them) in order to get the most out of VIRD.

At the end of the day though: Rule of Cool. If you like how it looks, you'll be more inclined to enjoy it and make it work. Take a look at the Stickied tactics here in the PanO section too, if there are any particular units you're curious about.

volgo, Stiopa and yoink101 like this.
  3. andre61

andre61 Well-Known Member

I have not played VIRD, but if you go NCA I would take the Aquila and Black Friars to counter all that ODD.

4. gregmurdock

gregmurdock Extremely Beloved Member

Regarding collecting, you might as well start on both.

You're gonna buy Beyond Icestorm. There's the Swiss Guard and the Kamau HMG. Fusilier SWC box, remotes, Bulleteers, Peacemakers, Mulebot, ORCs*, Squalo, Support box, they're all shared units between the two armies. Just gotta grab the iconic units like Zulu Cobras or the Aquila Guard to finish. This also gives you a stable base to run generic if you feel like it.

5. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

I'd think thematically and select Varuna.

Mostly because NCA makes extensive use of ALEPH troops and it feels strange to then face off regularly against ALEPH.

But not everyone will share that kind of thinking.

The considerations regarding list options and play preferences have been covered well above.

6. Greenhadouken

This is why this community is so great. Everyone is so willing to give advice to new players.

I was thinking the NCA was more straightforward, while VIRD was more subtle. I think I'm going to start with NCA, with the possibility of expanding to include VIRD at a later date. Is the starter for NCA a good way to go, or should I get something else?

barakiel likes this.
  7. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

The starter for NCA is pretty good these days.

But you probably want to grab the PanO starter as well (most of the options are useful, and the rest are great as proxy options).

8. barakiel

barakiel Echo Bravo Master Sergeant

The NCA starter is alright! I typically don't make heavy use of the units in there though.

If you have a large budget, go ahead and pick it up. But I'd probably suggest the following first:

• Fusilier SWC box. Fusilier special weapons are very useful in NCA.
    • Auxilia box. Auxilia are good cheap cheerleaders and backline defenders, and their Heavy Flamethrower can be critically useful. ALEPH's ODD, TO and REMs don't like being hit with Fire.
    • CSUs. Also great cheap troops that can link with Fusiliers, and they'll give you some fun weapons and diverse loadouts to play around with. A real utility unit.
    • Beyond Icestorm. Split this with a buddy if you can, or look for the individual minis. The Bolt in there is okay, and generally good to have if you ever want to experiment with Bolts. The Swiss Guard is the real star.
    • Dronbots. NCA runs Remotes very well. AVA3 Fugazi are a specific asset of the Sectorial; those cheap little 8-point bots are great backline support, and their Flash Pulse is a nice defensive tool as well.
    • Single blisters: Aquila HMG, Garuda, Friar, Locust, etc. are all fun once you get a rhythm and feel for how to play the Sectorial.

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  9. Greenhadouken

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I cant wait to get up and running with this sectoral. The advice you all gave me really help me make a decision. I was having a hard ti.e deciding witch way to go.

10. yoink101

yoink101 Chandra SpecOps Complaint Department

barakiel and Thandar like this.
  11. Greenhadouken

AdmiralJCJF and yoink101 like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation