1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chasing Dragon and other D&D stuff

Discussion in 'Off-Topic English' started by Koin-Koin, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

I've been struck by a sudden will of painting a dragon for my DM's current campaign (whether or not he will choose to include it in it).

I've found that this beast is available at my FLGS

[​IMG]
    As it's 12cm high, I'm wondering if it's not a bit to big for a DnD session.

Beside, I'm not familiar enough with the lore to know if winged dragons are mandatory in DnD.

Any feedback is welcome.

2. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on the DM and how they want to present it. To me, winged is not mandatory. I'd love an asian dragon myself to use as a "statue" terrain piece with my Yu Jing.

Koin-Koin likes this.
  3. Koin-Koin

The thing is, as it will be a surprise, I don't want to have him extra work to create the monster's stat (ie: if wings are always part of the attack stat, or if making it not flying will need serious tuning).
    I know it's part of the DM's fun but I also know that he's already putting a lot of work in the campaign.
    We're still at the beginning so he will have time to include it but still it could be a poisoned extra.

I'm having trouble to find size ref. Will it make a young (big), adult (very big), elder dragon (gigantic)?

4. Space Ranger

5. daszul

daszul Well-Known Member

Isn't their flight mainly magical anyways?

Depending on its age (and your party's level),
    it might be a little small.
    (Maybe a Lindwurm Youth?)

And wing-dependent attacks can be said to be done with the tail narratively.

jherazob, chromedog and Koin-Koin like this.
  6. Asreon_

Asreon_ Confused bardic artist

In eastern mythology, especially the DnD version of it, eastern dragons generally fly thanks due a magic pearl embedded in their skull/forehead. Western/chromatic dragons generally entertain normal, physical flight, thanks to enough wingspan. Still many of them also know flight spells anyway.
    There are enough versions of dragons in DnD for your DM to make it fit, no worries there;)

Also cudos for doing this for your group.

jherazob, Abrilete and Koin-Koin like this.
  7. Koin-Koin

Thanks a lot everyone for all those valuable inputs.

The campaign is so much fun so far, it can only go epic (next session this week-end).

8. FireFangs

FireFangs Space Oni

I'm fairly sure the Manual of Monsters covers many different types of dragons. While it's often mostly the color that's considered, appearances aren't especially set so you can use anything. The wings themselves, as far as I remember, aren,t used in the attacks beyond "Dive toward the target and attempt to bite". So no direct need for wings.

Koin-Koin likes this.
  9. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

Great... thanks for making me miss Council of Wyrms again. :P

jherazob and Koin-Koin like this.
  10. Koin-Koin

As you mentioned, the monster book provides each colour declined with each age.

So I made myself another concern: I have to find a way to paint it so the DM can choose whatever kind he'll find fitting his story. I know he don't have to stick to the painting, but my character is already giving him headaches each session because of the high stats I rolled for my warrior. He has to level up our adversaries so I had a chance to get hurt ^^... So I don't want to give him more work.

11. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Not sure about 4e or 5e (haven't played D&D since 4e, group kinda moved away), but in 3.5/Pathfinder you could be looking at Claw/Claw/Bite/Wing Buffet/Tail Sweep for attacks.

Wings may be necessary, or require some extra work from the DM to work around their lack.

Koin-Koin likes this.
  12. Koin-Koin

Finally get time to really deep into it by myself.
    Wings attack are legendary attacks for both adult and elder dragons. Young and new born don't have it.

Regarding the size of Volfyirion's dragon here is the scale
    [​IMG]

So it seems to be closer to the elder than the adult.

I may fall back to the BattleLore dragon if available in a store nearby
    [​IMG]
    Also, I may have found a way to get color neutral dragon by using color shifting paint (some tests required)

jherazob likes this.
  13. FireFangs

FireFangs Space Oni

Nothing stops the DM from lightly retooling the epic attack to not specifically use the wings. It what all DMs do! We change stuff to make it fit! If I, in my relative inexperience as a DM, managed to make up racing mechanics for Infinity, your DM should be able to rework an attack! :3

Pen-dragon, jherazob and Koin-Koin like this.
  14. daszul

daszul Well-Known Member

Or just use a (light) grey scale and use a colored spotlight.

Koin-Koin likes this.
  15. Space Ranger

this is the one I want! It's from Malifaux. The Shadow Emissary.

[​IMG]

16. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

Ah, Malifaux, they have plain amazing stuff (and i insist that their design team was on some weird drugs, the fact that there's a unit called "punk zombie samurais" or something like that attests to this :joy:). But i'm extremely wary to touch anything from them ever again just because since they went to plastics, everything is waaaay too fiddly. And this is coming from somebody who enjoys building the old style Dakini Tacbots. The ur-example for me was one of their gremlins, a small 28mm mini, that had his head split in 3 freaking pieces! Who the hell designs things like that?!?! And this is absolutely their modus operandi for everything. And since it's plastic, they can't even get the blessing of superglue accelerant, their plastic cement needs to dry the old fashioned way. I might get something from them at some point to paint because there's great things, but honestly i'm wary...

csjarrat, Pen-dragon and Koin-Koin like this.
  17. Koin-Koin

This Malifaux dragon is a badass looking one (and very talented painted btw).

18. Space Ranger

Unfortunately the search I did, didn't say who the painter was. But it's fantastic. Why I chose that one but i just googled it and found a lot!

19. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

Found it, here. I also failed to find it on searches, but looked at the URL, it's from putty&paint. So, searched "Shadow Emissary" there and it was among the results :)

Koin-Koin and Space Ranger like this.
  20. Space Ranger

Thanks! That looks fantastic!

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation