1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cadmus Decoy trigger Boost?

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Hero of Sparetime, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Hero of Sparetime

Hi,

there´s a question that came up in the CA Forum as talking about tactics to use him. If he land with his 2(3) Decoys can you clear Perimeters at that time? Mines is clear, but not Decoys.... it is not clear as what they count... as a Marker or like a "Holo"(as it mentions in the Wiki).

Hope somebody know more! @ijw ?

regards

2. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Unlike Holoecho state, Decoys are considered real troopers for checking LOF only.

I'd say it's perfectly clear that mechanically they will not trigger Perimeter Weapons (or any other effect which only targets Troopers), though I'd say this is not intended because of how weird it might get.

3. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

Nothing in the Decoy state rules make the “fake” decoys activate as part of the order. So the fakes aren’t going to set off mines, or perimeter weapons, or even generate AROs.

Unlike Holoechoes, which have rules to do all of that stuff.

I mean, I don’t see what’s weird about decoys that don’t (and can’t) do anything failing to cause reactions. They aren’t activated by orders or AROs, they just go away when their owner does something.

chromedog likes this.
  4. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Solkan - this is for the Cadmus landing via Airborne Deployment, not for Decoys which are already on the table. For which:
    • When deployed during the game, the three Decoys provide only one ARO to each enemy in LoF or ZoC.
    I agree, but we also know that it’s not the intention that Perimeter Items can bypass the fake Decoys to automatically choose the real trooper because we’re told that it’s supposed to be like Holoechos.

5. Hero of Sparetime

@ijw Thanks for the answer! So..... maybe its because I'm not a native englisch speaker, but does a landing Decoy now trigger a Perimeter (Boost) or not? So sorry for my confusion.....

6. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

I think it is supposed to, but ONLY when landing via AD.

Decoys do not trigger Perimeter items when deployed normally.

WarHound, Hecaton, Sabin76 and 2 others like this.
  7. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Exactly.

WarHound, smog, Sabin76 and 1 other person like this.
  8. bloodw4ke

bloodw4ke Well-Known Member

I would love for this to be true - my main opponent loves his Morans - but he's going to debate this with me. What is it about AD that changes things? My understanding is as follows:

From Decoy, all the AD Cadmus deploy on the table in a marker state:
    • While in the Decoy state, the trooper is represented by three Decoys: the Decoy 1 Marker, the Decoy 2 Marker and the actual model, or Marker if the user has that choice.
    On Decoy AROs:
    • When deployed during the game, the three Decoys provide only one ARO to each enemy in LoF or ZoC. (as noted above, but...)
    • The Decoys are considered real troopers in regards to checking LoF.
    From Boost, it only triggers when:
    • An enemy trooper must declare or execute an Order inside the ZoC of the Perimeter Item.
    Being that the decoys are markers and not troopers, that puts them outside of this requirement. We know that Holoechoes trigger, but Holoecho says:
    • The Holoechoes are considered real troopers in regards to providing AROs, checking LoF, and activating enemy weapons or pieces of Equipment (Mines, E/Maulers, etc.), but since they act simultaneously, all three provide only one ARO to each enemy in LoF or ZoC.
    So, with regards to boost conditions: decoy provides an ARO in LOF, which doesn't trigger boost, because boost cares about ZOC and not LOF. For ZOC, it doesn't trigger boost because it's a marker in ZOC and not a trooper, and decoy state doesn't grant ZOC AROs like holoechoes do.

It feels weird that they wouldn't trigger boost, but it doesn't seem to work RAW. It seems decoy needs the same clause about "are considered real troopers in regards to providing ARO" that holoecho has. What am I missing?

9. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Because only at the time of arrival via AD are Decoy markers actually moving/'spending an order'. Once arrived on table, the Decoy markers don't move.

10. bloodw4ke

bloodw4ke Well-Known Member

Thanks, I guess "marker" and "trooper" were separate concept in my head. Troopers seem to be either the actual trooper or a marker, the latter representing a trooper. It's figure/model vs. marker that I was confused by.

#10 bloodw4ke, Aug 18, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  11. Mahtamori

Arguably, I think there's room to interpret it as the Perimeter Item not reacting at all when the Cadmus deploys in Decoy state (whether the real Cadmus is inside its ZoC or not). Until an official answer or FAQ.

12. WarHound

WarHound Well-Known Member

Arguably, I disagree with you. Based on the fact that the decoys move into the AoO (by falling from the sky onto the battlefield), it would be entirely justified for perimeter and deployable weaponry to trigger.

As far as their IFF would be concerned, a hostile movement is moving into their area of effect.

Bohrdog likes this.
  13. Mahtamori

I've no doubt that's what an FAQ would say, but as detailed earlier that's not what the rules say at the moment since a Decoy isn't a trooper.

Edit: I'm offering that interpretation as a compromise that follows the rules as closely as possible as currently detailed.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation