1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The lonely Shang Ji

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Space Ranger, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Henshini

Henshini Well-Known Member

So I'm still holding out hope that the Shang Ji will get some tweaks when it gets a resculpt as this is a comon practice for CB, but I just had a thought. Our brave defiance boy is in super advanced miniaturized/S2 Yanhuo+ armour, what if this is the base for the new shang ji and he ends up being a shang ji character?

Space Ranger likes this.
  2. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

I hope you are correct. Even just a small change that would make them worth taking. They need something that makes them worth taking over Zuyong or upgrade to Mowang, Crane, Hsien, etc. It could be making them more CC worthy, change the combo to Breaker Combi, Mimetisim, Veteran level 1. etc.

3. Weathercock

Weathercock Well-Known Member

On the one hand, he was originally designed as an S5 HI, so having him be an updated Shang Ji would be odd.

On the other hand, his armour is not quite a match for any one set from YJ, and incorporates a few elements from across the board. Which would certainly be fitting of a 'superior' HI unit.

But on that third, awkward hand... good god, look at his face.

4. Azuset

Azuset Well-Known Member

Could the Shang-ji be part of White Banner?

5. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Possibly.

But they don't have white faceplates.

Way back in the day, "Invincible" armor was the equal of Wu Ming armor. So I was expecting Wu Ming or Zuyong in the White Banner army, with Shang Ji in IA.

6. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t say not at all. It’s possible to have with lower AVA. It is a “line troop” after all. To me he should be a Vet but whatever.

7. -Ghost-

-Ghost- Shalashaska

Why don't they make Zuyong like the rest of the specialized Invincibles and make them have 1.5 wounds with Shock Immunity and V:NWI?

Shang Hi stay elite, probably lower their cost or keep as is and change abilities/stats. Give them a MSV1 HRL profile, NCO standard, change their MOV to 6-2 to represent their quicker reactions and movement capabilities, Multiterrain, and some kind of Boarding Shotgun profile with Mines.

I dunno, maybe I'm asking too much. Shang Ji was the model that got me into Infinity. Kind of my baby.

#87 -Ghost-, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Space Ranger and Dragonstriker like this.
  8. Wyrmnax

Wyrmnax Well-Known Member

They don't make arbitrary cost changes on units in Infinity. At least not on N3. Everything has to follow the price formula. So no unit will get a discounted price 'just because'. It will have to loose something to do so.

9. Section9

Because that wasn't a design concept when the Zuyong were designed, it (almost certainly) came about when CB realized that they needed to make the supporting HI profiles cheaper to make IA viable.

Yeah, I'd really like the Superior HI to actually be, you know, superior on the table.

One of my thoughts has been Kinematika L2 and Deflector L2 on all profiles, to make the N3 Shang Ji more like what it was in N2. In N2, the Shang Ji was one of the very few HI that had a 4-4 MOV, and BTS6 was a -6 penalty to the hacker's WIP.

I think one of the better ideas recently was the "Shangawira", basically giving the Shang Ji the Asawira statline minus the Haqq-specific stuff.
    4-4MOV, CC21, BS14, PH14, WIP14, ARM3, BTS9, 2W, S2.
    MA2, Kinematika L2, Fireteam Duo. (Maybe Assault).
    Combi+LFT (or Nanopulser!), BSG, Spitfire, HRL+SMG, maybe a ML profile. Shock or DA CCW.​

Price for the "Shangawira" would be about the same as current Shang Ji profiles. (I'd probably trade the ARM3 BTS9 for ARM4 BTS6 like the Crane armor)

Or you give it Frenzy/SMG/Chain Rifle/etc...

Or maybe make being Hackable a points discount!

Dragonstriker, Kallas and Azuset like this.
  10. CabalTrainee

CabalTrainee Well-Known Member

So the hospitaller knights got cheaper when the army box released because?

-Ghost- likes this.
  11. -Ghost-

-Ghost- Shalashaska

True, but not all factions are treated equally. Shang Ji has nothing to lose anyways, might as well tack on some skills to bring things in line.

Look at the...
    Beat me to it.

Me too, we see what some units are capable of getting. Mowang is a nice package deal and an example of something fun and different. I like the Shangawira. BS14 on what is supposed to be our too of the line S2 HI should definitely happen. A lot of those other abilities are cake. I enjoy when CB does some random profiles with MSV and others without, Mukhtar being a near example.

Right, but N4 is right around the corner. This is the perfect opportunity to do so. I get that decision was before IA was finally hammered out as a force, but they have a great opportunity here with N4 next year I'm hoping CB will actually shake things up and not just do some minor band-aid fixes.

Dragonstriker likes this.
  12. Weathercock

Weathercock Well-Known Member

Release a hot new model and pull a Raicho. I'd buy it in an instant, especially if it was that previously mentioned 'Shangawira' profile. Something like that could pay some serious dividends in both IA and vanilla.

They wouldn't even have to try too hard to model it, either. Just use the ragefist crane as a base, cut off the ponytail and robes, and tacticool it up a bit.

13. Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy Member

But they have displayed a willingness to retcon their work previously. Adjusting the Zuyong seems like a reasonable way to immediately improve the Shang Ji’s usefulness in Yu Jing, and also help IA. ‘Shrug’

Also grenades and 6-2 please. Thanks.

14. Section9

I'd really prefer the cost of ARM and BTS go down enough that we could give all the 1W+NWI heavy infantry 2 real wounds. This would have to save about 3-5pts per HI model.

the huanglong and Sedral like this.
  15. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

There's a 3-point difference between the Haidao and the Zuyong. With those three points you need to squeeze in +1 CC, +1 Breaker Pistol, +3 BTS, and +1 PH.
    Now, I don't think Zuyong are actually paying extra for that CC (because there are no comparable units they need to be pricier than), but that's otherwise all 1 points gears and abilities and we have had it told that Zero-G (and other terrain skills) is free. This leaves courage.

There might not be any points between a normal HI and the pseudo-HI.

P.s. and considering I'm forgetting Haidao's Free Agent that definitely isn't free, that soaks up any "rounding errors"

Sedral likes this.
  16. Section9

Remember that all those "1pt" skills and abilities may actually be as low as 0.5pts and are getting rounded up to 1pt.

17. Dragonstriker

Dragonstriker That wizard came from the moon.

I really like the idea of making zuyong 1w+nwi to differentiate them from shangji.
    As a starting point for tweaks.

-Ghost- and the huanglong like this.
  18. Mahtamori

I highly doubt it.

Plus, you're still looking at a massive savings of 1,5 points at most - and that's assuming each one of those skills are rounded individually ...

19. Mahtamori

I don't quite understand this.

Why essentially make one unit shittier in order to make another look better by comparison? It's not like it's hard to make the Shang-Ji different.

Because it is objectively shittier not being able to be scraped up by a Paramedic/Doctor after taking a T2 to the knee.

Kallas likes this.
  20. SKOZZOKONZ

SKOZZOKONZ Well-Known Member

If cb can pull a profile wide discount for hostpitaliers out of their ass, I'm sure they can fix shang ji without fucking up more of our other HI

Azuset and the huanglong like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation