1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any online ressources post-2017?

Discussion in 'News' started by Alfy, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Alfy

Alfy Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased the IceStorm box to start playing Infinity with a friend. As I do with most of my new games, I immediately started looking for online for blogs, tactics advice, etc. But most of the sites I land on haven't been updated for a long time, usually several years. A rather big one - or so I think - Data Sphere, has had 3 posts since 2016. Similarly, Infinity Tactics does not seem to have received many entries for a long while. And many blogs seem abandoned. At the same time, the game seems to be doing well, if I go by the number of recent and upcoming releases.

So the question is: Did I somehow miss the current content providers? (quite possible, when typing "Infinity" in a Google search, you end up with a lot of Marvel movies and Disney Infinity stuff) Or is the game in worst shape then the CB shop let's me believe? Or is it just that everything that needed to be said about the Infinity had been said circa December 2016?

Thanks in advance!

Urobros likes this.
  2. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

About the searchs in google, try "infinity the game" (Infinity as such is another brand in the USA, after all... they love to copyright everything that can be).

As for the strategy guides and the like, most are focused or indexed in this same forum, on each faction's subforums. Besides that, you have the Downloads section of the main page, with missions and other data, the FAQ and full rules, etc..., and the Army to assemble your forces.

Alfy likes this.
  3. Ayadan

Ayadan Knight of the TAG Order

The game is definitely in good shape.

I don't know for the material outside of this forum and what my community does for its country. I know there is a lot of podcast and VaulSC does some YT videos frequently. GMG used to do a lot of vids about games by it has been a while since I saw one of theirs.

The thing is, few things changed after HSN3 came up in 2016 until April 2018. Since then everything is upside down because factions are recieving new sectorials or some profile/unit revisions and sectorials are getting huge updates.

But as @xagroth said, a lot of material can be found here. Take it with a bit a salt because it is sometime biaised and totally subjective but a lot of what is there is useful.

xagroth and Alfy like this.
  4. Alfy

Alfy Well-Known Member

I don’t mind the subjectivity, quite the contrary!

It just seemed weird to see all the content for a game concentrated on the official forum. And clearly, there was a time when this was not the case, and there were a bunch of people maintaining their own blogs.

Anyways, thanks for the replies, I’ll spend more time digging here.

5. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

That was also the time when CB had thoughts of shutting their official forums down (which is why Datasphere sprung up; to fill that void). When they didn't shut the forums down, it just became "duplication of effort" - and datasphere primarily became somewhere to share stuff not allowed by official forum rules (links to non-partner sites, etc).

6. Solodice

Solodice Freshly Squeezed Troll

Running a blog is a big ol' commitment. I would know... I ran one for Infinity. Real life and a slow down in playing Infinity was the downfall of mine. It would be nice to resume it but it started to feel like a job that I'm wasn't getting paid for more than a hobby. That and some blogs just end because people shift their hobbies or just end them.

Even with all the blogs from around 2012 to about 2015 the official forums was still the place to go for a lot of info and community interaction. The only other place that would come close from my experience is the WGC Infinity group on Facebook. The ancillary places like Reddit, 4chan, or DakkaDakka just don't provide the breath of Infinity players and info that this place does. There's a lot of members still here from the original boards.

[Looks at sub thread... this really isn't news.]

7. Abrilete

Abrilete Well-Known Member

In the official webpage [ https://www.infinitythegame.com/ ] you can find lots of material: blogs posts regarding news, the online store with lots of pictures, links to this forum (where you can find the both fresh news and the craziest theories and rumors, advices, posts about food...), to the Army (the online tool for list building) and, most importantly, links to the wiki and downloads for the updated rules.

Other than that, Corbus Belli has Facebook and Youtube accounts, and there is a lot of activity in fan-based Facebook groups and a Reddit community.

8. Papa Bey

Papa Bey Clueless Wonder. Still.

Podcasts:. MayaCast, White Noise, Loss of Lieutenant would be the current regular releases. There are perhaps another half dozen with increasingly less frequent regularity. The golden age has passed I think.

Blogs & Stuff: It is very difficult to speak to Infinity and be concise. The basics have been done to death and remain just as valid. New stuff readily runs a couple of pages for really little result.

Melchior likes this.
  9. bladerunner_35

bladerunner_35 Well-Known Member

I would add Limited Insertion to the list of podcasts. It is much shorter and focused and great for a beginner.

Podcasts really is where its at with Infinity. You have hundreds of hours of great quality. Just beware that Infinity moves forward at a high pace and things get outdated after a year or two even though the core game stays the same.

10. natetehaggresar

natetehaggresar Senior Backlogged Painter Manager

11. Alfy

Alfy Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for all the links and names. The Mercrecon site especially seems right up my alley. I have to say I did not look at the podcasts: I tend to see articulates on tactical games as more suitable for either text or videos. I will definitely give it a try, though.

If I may ask, I understand the game has been around a while and I might not find much new material to cover more basic concepts. But what would be the best repository for a newcomer looking to ingest a bunch of tactical advice? Something that was a great source at the time and might still be relevant?

12. Vanderbane

Vanderbane Well-Known Member

I would plug @Vaulsc 's tactics for beginners video from a couple years ago:

As a great start for simple tactics. It still is pretty relevant to current play. I think he also has an intermediate tactics from the last year which expands on it, and his list building videos go into the logic of how to evaluate units.

mipevo6 and WarHound like this.
  13. Papa Bey

This will be trite.

Personal experience.

The rest will just be preaching. It'll come. Just...

REMEMBER THE MISSION.

mipevo6, Ayadan, xagroth and 3 others like this.
  14. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Yeah, "remember the mission" should probably be tattooed onto the inside on an Infinity player's eyelids or something.

Berjiz, Ayadan, WarHound and 2 others like this.
  15. Papa Bey

I should try that. :(

Ok. Back. Hopefully coherent.

None of the sources I've named, or anyone else has named will do what needs to be done.

Teach you to think.

This isn't going to be Tetris. Where you see a situation and you find the correct piece and slot it into the puzzle. You will read sage advice like. "Give them terrible choices". If you're lucky, an example will be provided. That you will then have to expand back to a more general application. Because that example was that model in that situation. Don't forget, you may have more than one option to deal with a challenge. Which one gets picked? Which one can't be picked.

Options to reveal a camo marker: Discover. Sensor. Mines. Perimeter weapons. Sat-Lock. Intuitive Attack.
    Total Reaction bot: camo approach. Out range the typical HMG. Surprise Shot. Under range the typical HMG. Hacking.

Now that I've squashed all over things, remember that I'm only partly right. Either. Practicing for the table demos for GenCon. Everyone should swing by if able.

bladerunner_35 likes this.
  16. Vaulsc

Vaulsc Well-Known Member

Thanks for the plug. A lot of my content is aimed at experienced players, but I could easily pump out some material for entry-level and beginner people.

If a bunch of people would find links like the one above useful for sharing with their new friends because they don't have time to give their own tutorials and explanations, I could put something together. Especially since I will own a copy of Wildfire soon, could do a run-through of that for the sake of the noobs.

mipevo6, Dr.Lycosid and Vanderbane like this.
  17. bladerunner_35

18. Alfy

Alfy Well-Known Member

I understand what you say, and I wasn't looking for a guide that I would follow to the letter to play my games. For one thing, where would be the fun in that?

On the other hand, games with a certain depth tend to have high-level concepts that usually require a bit of a mind-hive to properly grasp (and Infinity certainly seems to have a lot of depth to it, hence our choice). If I may take an example from a completely different type of game, I'm a long-time player of Magic the Gathering. You can absolutely learn to play the game by buying enough cards and playing with a friend. However, if playing just the two people, you'll probably do the equivalent of barely dabbling in the game. Concepts like card advantage, archetypes matchups, mana curve and so on took years to be properly understood by the MtG community, so discovering them in isolation, while not impossible, is fairly improbable, even though studying and mastering them is a lot of what makes complex games fun. You can actually develop bad habits and not get punished for it, because your opponent jus doesn't know better.

It so happens that my friend and I are very isolated. Because of our jobs, we live in Mali, West Africa, and the closest game shop is a couple of thousand of miles away. So no community, no store events and no gencons for us, not for Infinity and not for any other mini game. And while we are gamers at heart, neither of us has played a proper mini wargame since Necromunda-the-original was a thing. We did not have any problems with Infinity's initiation rules, and we're moving to the full ruleset with glee, but we're bumbling around quite a bit, it's clear our learning curve to a proper game of Infinity is going to be steep.

And well, while not as critical, I have to say I love to read about the games I'm in. It helps passing the time between actual gaming, as that is something I'm not getting enough of. :yum:

Anyways, sorry about the long, self-entered post, and thanks for the advice!

Section9 and Ayadan like this.
  19. bladerunner_35

At the risk of sounding arrogant (which is certainly not my intention) but while Infinity isn't necessarily a complicated game it is very much a complex game with great depth, as you say. Beginners often wants to get advice on the right list or how to approach the game and truth is that the best way is to approach it with having fun in mind.

Meaning play the game and try to incorporate more and more rules as you go along. When you find something that seems super overpowered come here and ask specific questions and you'll get plenty of specific advice.

How do I handle Total Reaction bots on a roof? How do I handle TO-camo? What do I do when the opponent shots me through smoke? What the fuck is going on with all these hacking programs?

I hope you get my point.

20. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Also, here's two pages to bookmark (or possibly download for offline use, I don't know how internet is down there as the only people I've spoken to who've been there has been to the unstable region)
    For when planning and trying to figure out what to do if situation X or Y comes up: http://inf-dice.ghostlords.com/n3/
    For when playing and you've decided Hacking rules should be enabled: http://www.captainspud.com/n3hacking/

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation