1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hunting Party, Lieutenant immobilized, engineered and immobilized at a later turn, does it score?

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by meikyoushisui, Jul 10, 2019.

1. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

It appears there was previous discussion on this as it plays in Decapitation: https://forum.corvusbelli.com/threads/decapitation-and-unconscious-lt.23877/

And here's the text from the FAQ:

Hunting Party – When do you consider a Lieutenant Hunted Down?
    At the end of the game all troopers that are in Isolated, Imm1 or Imm2 states and had these states applied to him while he was Lieutenant.

So question, if I glue an Lt on turn one, my opponent selects a new lt on his turn and engineers his original Lt, and then I glue the original Lt again, do I score? Based on the FAQ reading, I should, because the FAQ gives only 2 requirements to score: 1) the unit was glued while lt, and 2) the unit is glued when the game ends, and both of these requirements are met.

I recall their being a CB ruling of yes in that case (which was the impetus for the inclusion of this in the FAQ in the first place) but it looks like it was on the old forum and dead. Can someone dig this up or clarify this for me?

Diphoration likes this.
  2. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

That's not my reading of the FAQ, for what it's worth. The trooper has to be in the state it entered while LT - not the same state re-imposed, but the exact same uncanceled state.

3. ijw

OK, just saw the reply in the FB thread. You're not going to get a different answer from me here than on Facebook. :wink:

4. meikyoushisui

Yeah, I figured I would come here though since generally people are better with the rules here. There's like a 50/50 chance on any given rules discussion there that the first reply is exactly the opposite of what is correct.

Also, as I mentioned there, the FAQ doesnt require anywhere that it be the same state that was imposed originally.

5. ijw

Again, that's not my reading of the text.

I think we're reading 'these states' differently. I read it as referring to the specific state that the trooper entered while they were the LT. Not the generic Isolated state, but the actual state they entered while being an LT.

Paging @HellLois...

6. meikyoushisui

That's a very strange way to read the antecedent of "these" -- We don't read it that way in English very frequently, in any context. In either case, we need an FAQ for the FAQ.

7. ijw

By your reading you wouldn't even need to glue the trooper again, you could put them into a different one of the states.

8. meikyoushisui

Yes, that is correct. I'm using "glue" but it should work interchangeably for all the states allowed for "hunted down" in this mission.

Hecaton likes this.
  9. Arkhos94

Arkhos94 Well-Known Member

So if I understand what you says :
    Lieutenant B goes Imm-2 turn 1 player A
    New lieutenant is choosed by player B during its turn
    Player B use Engineer to unglue his ex-lieutenant B
    Player A use an E/M weapon to isolate the ex-lieutenant B
    ex-lieutenant B is not hunted anymore

That's it ?

10. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Important clarification added (at least I think that's what's going on)...

11. ijw

Yes, because the state they are in at the end of the game isn’t the state that was applied while they were LT.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to make the mission harder - my pre-FAQ stance was that the trooper just had to end the game in the right state and that it made no difference at all when the state was applied, even to ex-LTs. But the FAQ stopped that.

@HellLois? I’d be happy to be wrong on this.

12. Ghost_from_warp

Ghost_from_warp Classified

Wait, if i immobilize\isolate Lt, and then put him in uncouncious state - will he be counted?
    And if i'll do it in reverse order (assuming i'll do it in one turn) he will not be counted?

13. ijw

What difference does Unconscious make? Unless the opponent uses Chain or Command of Executive Order, the LT stays the LT until the start of the player's next turn.

Edited for typos...

#13 ijw, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Ghost_from_warp likes this.
  14. Dr. Nik

Dr. Nik Well-Known Member
    Warcor

"Automatic Special Skills and Automatic Equipment have no effect while Unconscious."

"LIEUTENANT LEVEL 1 AUTOMATIC SKILL"

15. ijw

Sure. Unfortunately LT is not 'just' a Special Skill but is a transferable status. If you argue that it is purely a Special Skill then an Unconscious LT with Regeneration or AutoMediKit can't use their LT Order, the Loss of Lieutenant rules don't work, and only the 'original' Lieutenant is ever the Lieutenant because the Skill doesn't get transferred to anyone who takes over. :-(

16. Ogid

Ogid Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's a transferable status; for example if you gain a new Lt thanks to the CoC or XO rules and you still have special Lt orders then... oh wait, nevermind.

17. Dr. Nik

Warcor

I have no problem with that if you ask me and we play by the rules...

Why it doesn't?

"If, during the Tactical Phase of the Active Turn, the Active Player lacks a Lieutenant because they did not deploy or the previous Lieutenant is currently in a Null (Unconscious, Dead, Sepsitorized...) or Isolated state, then a situation of Loss of Lieutenant is automatically declared."

18. ijw

Because
    Who is the 'previous Lieutenant' who is in a Null state? As you point out, there is no LT Skill in effect.
    What happens if you've had multiple LTs? If LT status doesn't carry over on Unconscious troopers, how do you work out who is the 'previous Lieutenant'?
    What happens when you nominate a new Lieutenant, who won't have the Lieutenant Special Skill?
    Can you knock the new LT Unconscious and then IMM or Isolate them, because their LT status is not provided by a Skill?

19. Dr. Nik

Warcor

You had a lieutenant who is in Null state now - I don't understand your question here. If it's some kind of exaggeration you are trying to use it looks strange to me because it works ok by the written rules in every situation described.

But there is nowhere in the rules anything about Lieutenant being "transferable status" instead of just special skill. So if we assume that it's "transferable status" as you say it we can assume that it can work in any way possible because we have zero rules about it.

In the end we have a very strange mission Hunting Party which can be played in multiple different ways (for example on Moscow Satellite this year it was played way different from what you are saying and from what I was thinking about this mission) that's why I don't play it ever.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation