1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Several Saturation Zones and burst MOD

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by davion, Apr 19, 2019.

1. davion

davion New Member

If LOF passes through two Saturation zones will the burst MOD be -2 or -1? In other words, do they stack?
    I couldn't find an answer to this question anywhere, but it's not difficult to get in such a situation with dazers right now, hence the question.

2. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

As far as I can reconstruct from previous threads, there was an editing failure in the terrain rules.

This paragraph:
    Due to thick vegetation, jagged rocks, snow, sandstorms and any number of other reasons, some areas obscure a soldier’s vision and his ability to aim accurately. This is represented by the following game rules. Vision-obscurant areas are divided into two categories:​

and the big red block of text:
    IMPORTANT!

Visibility MODs never stack with other Visibility MODs. If an area would be affected by two or more Visibility Zones of whatever type, apply only the most obscuring.

For example, if a Low Visibility Zone (-3 MOD) coincides with a Poor Visibility Zone (-6 MOD), treat that area as a Poor Visibility Zone. If two Poor Visibility Zones coincide, apply only one single -6 MOD.​

As far as I can tell, the first paragraph is supposed to introduce both sections, but the big red block of text is supposed to be in the Visibility section.

If you ask whether saturation zones "stack", there's an important qualifier based on saturation zones get applied. If you have B5 and you split that burst against two targets (B3 against one target and B2 against the other) you apply saturation zone rules against the divided grouping separately.

So a trooper in a fireteam with modified B5 standing in a saturation zone loses 1B (to a minimum of 1) to each grouping.

But the expectation, based on previous threads, is that you'd still apply the "most obscuring" principle to each burst grouping. Otherwise the terrain rules start doing really bad things depending on where you put terrain piece boundaries.

Ogid likes this.
  3. Ayadan

Ayadan Knight of the TAG Order

Sorry for necromancy but I don't think this thread has received a clear answer yet and the question raised today.

4. Ogid

Ogid Well-Known Member

As @solkan said it's not 100% clear in the rules, but it's generaly played as if those MODs don't stack (so -1B)
    However AFAIK there is no official answer about that issue.

5. Aemaru

Aemaru Well-Known Member

It’s not « not 100% clear » it’s clear but doesn’t seem logical :
    For low visibility it’s written : no stacking
    For saturation zones it’s not so if there is no faq on it should stack but it seems odd !

With stratuscloud it might happen more often !
    I think we need an official answer @ijw @HellLois
    Because if it stacks some ARO might become real nightmares

ChoTimberwolf and Ogid like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation