1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Vanilla Yu Jing viable?

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Zerooness, May 13, 2019.

1. Stuffist

Stuffist Well-Known Member

If you can get closer, Guilang are fair enough in the -3 sniper range. Cheaper, token state to ease the move forward until the last order and start closer than your general army.
    But it probably requires you to clear/smoke the way down to the Kamau but it's doable imho.

2. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

My local YJ players like Liu Xing for hitting Kamau teams, but it's also worth noting that a Rui Shi, an engineer and some patience can pretty reliably solve the problem.

3. Solodice

Solodice Freshly Squeezed Troll

The Kamau sniper isn't the first linked MSV2 sniper I've had to face down. Yeah, he's got mimetism and wildcard giving him access to cheap link buddies but he's not invincible. He's just a major pain in the ass.

If it can be helped my usual approach to going after the big gun in a link is not to go after it. Go after his buddies. I can go through out a bunch of hypotheticals on how to do that but every game, table, and opponent is different where it won't matter. That's just my usual go to when breaking links. Slow and methodical. I don't need to wipe a whole team out in one go. Killing off one or two members hurts the team enough.

If I do need to deliver pain and can't get to his softer or worse range band buddies I'll send some disposable bodies there way like Kuang Shi or Shaolins (both or either are always in my lists). Then you can also get a little crazier and say drop an MSR Tiger on a board edge and get uncontested angles the opponent never suspected or thought about (shout out to @Daemon of Razgriz for that).

So the tools are there. Some are hard counters while others are soft. The Kamau sniper can be dealt with but it will be a challenge.

LuAn, Section9 and Knauf like this.
  4. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Agreed, gotta take out the easier targets in the link, like a couple Fusiliers.

And yes, the surprise Sniper on the board edge (or surprise Ninja Sniper, same purpose, and both from @Daemon of Razgriz ) is a great way to mess with people. The Ninja sniper usually works better against a target that has come forward. You deploy the sniper very deep, almost at the opponent's DZ, and shoot his troops in the back.

5. zapp

zapp Well-Known Member

The mathematically best option for vanilla YJ is the Pheasant MMLX Sniper through Nimbus Grenade. That said, the Hsien is a more useful piece in general and worth its points even without a Kamau to take out.

Section9, Knauf and Mahtamori like this.
  6. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

Throwing a single die always leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The Hsien's B4/B3 + Nimbus feels much more comfy.

7. CabalTrainee

CabalTrainee Well-Known Member

Also the Hsien has way less chance of dying if you should loose the FtF. Usually if it fails you can try again.

8. Diphoration

Diphoration Well-Known Member
    Warcor

The Hsien has less chance to win the FtF, but it also has slightly less chance to lose the FtF.

(Shooting through nimbus)
    (Success / Neutral / Fail)
    Hsien : 46.69 / 32.36 / 20.95
    PhMmlx : 60.49 / 17.89 / 21.62

9. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

What about Holo2? Chance of getting missed all together! The Kanren can be in +3 range pretty early and so can the Lu Duan.

10. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Lu Duan (Supportware and Cover) is
    38% vs 38% at 16" to 24"
    51% vs 24" at 8" to 16"
    28% vs 32% at 0" to 8" (Kamau switches to Pistol)
    38% vs 24% at 0" to 8" (Kamau switches to Pistol, Yu Jing Hacker uses Spotlight)

Kanren (Cover) is
    25% vs 49% at 8" to 16"
    19% vs 35% at 0" to 8" (Kamau switches to Pistol)

11. fatherboxx

fatherboxx Mission control, I'm coming home.

Tested some unusual units in janky and non-optimal vanilla lists last weekend, since there was a small tournament without the most tryhard players participating.

Zhencha smg was really good in Rescue - 1.5 wounds on top of camo proven to be an effective shield in the saturation zone against combi rifles.
    Liu Xing boarding shotgun won me the game of Hunting party against an extremely hacker-heavy, camo-heavy nomads list - smashed an alguacile on a drop, killed a puppetmaster while tanking a mine with his 1.5 wounds, glued Zoe and LT, remained a nuisance.
    In that same mission Libertos minelayer was a worthy investment of swc - after ravaging through enemies (sent about 60 points worth to hell) and failing to kill (but discovering!) an Intruder he dropped a mine as a parting gift, screwing opponents turn.
    Daiyoing sniper misses the viral ammo from Lunah but his free mine in FD1 protected the dead zone in Rescue from Raoul dropping in.
    Also holy shit HI Sun Tze with current Total Immunity rules is quite a beast in 3 wounds. I even lamented that I did not take the multi-rifle version - otherwise I would've probably won the game of Quadrant Control against Aleph where he held his position against Asura spitfire in reactive and just did not care about anything in active.

vanilla YJ can still be not only viable but really fun y'all

#131 fatherboxx, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Azuset likes this.
  12. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

@fatherboxx I take issue with 2/3's of the units you claim to be "unsual units"

But yes, I've recently started using Sun Tze with the MR. Setting him in suppression makes him a massive time waster for the opponent. xD

13. Space Ranger

I’ve been wanting a reason to get the Hsien Multi-Rifle and I think Sun Tze is it.

Tibooper likes this.
  14. Diphoration

Diphoration Well-Known Member
    Warcor

What?

Zewrath likes this.
  15. fatherboxx

fatherboxx Mission control, I'm coming home.

The SMG profile is way more popular here and I believe in general because it has more active turn potential and can be turned into a supressive fire piece - and doesnt tax the swc

16. Space Ranger

I :heart: the Liberto! What a great pest to put on the enemy. His job is lay down mines before he dies and he does it pretty well. After the mines are down just go and become an ARO piece that the enemy has to deal with first. Put him into Suppresion with the SMG or even just dodge with this Hyperdynamics.

17. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

That's two different profiles :p

Zewrath and Diphoration like this.
  18. Space Ranger

Yes you are correct!

Sorry if I confused anyone! Can’t do suppression with the Lt. Shotgun Minelayer. Still a great thing to do with the SMG! For the Minelayer I try to lay down all of his mines and then go towards the enemy and just stop. Leaving him to be dealt with in ARO.

19. the huanglong

the huanglong Well-Known Member

Late to the party but to answer the original question, yes, vanilla is viable for as long as some of our most effective troops lack a sectorial. Guilang, Daofei, Tiger and Shaolin. To be viable, 2 husong and a Rui Shi are almost mandatory, and for this, the Daoyiing hacker Lieutenant is a gift from god.

20. Weathercock

Weathercock Well-Known Member

2 Husong? I can't even be bothered to fit in one. That's a pretty hefty SWC commitment. They've got a time and a place, but I certainly wouldn't consider them mandatory.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation