1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maru Painting and stuf

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by maru, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

That's some crazy-impressive freehand on the Daiyokai, maru!

maru likes this.
  2. maru

maru Well-Known Member

in case of JSA mini base coat grey - and dry ;) - it is metal mini after all ;)
    bottom layer - purple (shadows ) half dry when another is applayed
    next one is brown - mid tones - half dry
    last one - you c all around mini a jade green applayed wet on all half dryed bottom layers - starting application from lights and "smering out" to midtones and shadows using a huge brush
    base isa same tech you c mon video just purple , brown yellow , green - to get a gradient that will include textyre and on dry just freehand of this spiral pattern (same on mini all free hands made after basic blend got dry )

Oni and jherazob like this.
  3. maru

maru Well-Known Member

Same tech as on Dayokaiu but smaler mini and way less time spedn on it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    idea was he is caind of melding with enviroment thats why mono colour
    the magenta spot on his for arm looks bad on phito but in RW is quite nice .. a flaw of fluo paint - btw this is not done with dusts i presented early - igot a mini that got Dusted and will show it in a days with easy water tut :)

Abydog, Sangarn, McNamara and 5 others like this.
  4. Sangarn

Sangarn TRIUMcorp CEO
    Warcor

Nice Cyberpunk vibe

jherazob and Section9 like this.
  5. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Cyberpink.

jherazob likes this.
  6. maru

maru Well-Known Member

So im back from wacation :) and from me being lazy with photos :)
    Kuge Delegate
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A funny and nice mini for a bad Designed sectorial .. (or all other armys like some new relices are to play overopwered and JSA is tottaly ok )
    i was talking about tutorial about easy water effect - this one is not the one is easy but it is not fast one - way faster make this with 2 part medium instade of the one i make on base for for tooha - but i have a step by step on tocha mini same effect as on Gorgonzolos Pilot :) - will ad in feve houers :)
    o and a HVT from Red Veil ?

Goonhammer, Daimeow, Engorn and 10 others like this.
  7. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

@maru Glad to see you posting pics again. Your HVTs are painted to an exceptional standard. I look forward to this water tutorial as I've been trying to make a successful water-logged base for some time now.

8. maru

maru Well-Known Member

If you are up for shallow pond / swampy area , a just water on boots or over all jusrt wet area not a typical water display base 5 of 10 mm deep - this is made with resin but if it go to shalow water or swampy effect this is easy :)
    ok next mini
    Tooha this special mini - i like this shot - butt looks nice toned ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So ye Tutorial will be about this tooha special mini base and pilot - same way can be made Delegate and igao but delegate would be eased with resine and Igao would reqired a tottaly new Tutorial

Daimeow, ev0k, Oni and 5 others like this.
  9. Golem2God

I guess the Igao's base requires you to "build" & shape the waves little by little. It would be interesting having a tutorial on making waves like that as well.

10. maru

maru Well-Known Member

Nop it would took an eages :) there is way easer way

Golem2God likes this.
  11. Golem2God

Glad to hear it. In that case I look forward to hearing/seeing your explanation.

12. maru

maru Well-Known Member

So lets start with Tutorial :)
    thing we need :
    minatures :)
    i took a Tooha limited mini and a Delegate
    [​IMG]
    for the effect you get on both toocha - made a flat base or with a thini slop with some caind of acrylic pouty or other one just to not get this on unnatural flat surface (unless you are going on effect that will be a wet flat serface like a marble floor )
    The Delegate is preppered for rather resin made effect but i made it with this one but it turns from fast one to a bit long one
    other thing you need :
    Acrylic Gel medium
    [​IMG]
    important thing is GEL part - you do not want the soft one GEL is the way to go
    other factor is : it is acrylic Medium so you can get Mat medium , Satin Medium , Just Acrylic medium , Glossy one and Glassy ,
    for water effects go for Glossy or Glassy or for just medium - you may always varnish it glossy , - Avoid Mat or satine - as they wil grant you a murky and mate finish
    or you may go crazy and use this bellow :
    [​IMG]
    this is "Acrylic medium + fosforizing effect " - works like Gel medium + glowing effect - can be used in diorama for radioactive effects - but this one glow in darkness
    about the brand of materials :
    Minis whatever you wile to stay on wet base :)
    Acrylic Medium - just don't buy the one that is less expensive and sold in a buckets per kg - this tends to became Yellowish and you want a clear one - so just buy a Gel acrtlic medium gloss/glassy do not jump for most expensive there is no diffrernce for what we gona do :)

So now Prime this thing :)
    [​IMG]
    if you are going for legs that will be in a water - get them on base before you applay effect ;)

and now a time for cheating as any good tech :)

ok will add rest - need to do something different now instade typing ;)
    hope it is clear for now - is any ask questions :)

importand thing :
    You need an Beach babe calendar photos or Beach boys calendar - what fits you better
    as a reference - strange thing is 90% of water reference photos looks so fake or is made is such way that they do not work as a reference for this
    you whant something like this :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    for a beach effect
    or other for water logged ;)
    do not mind the girls - look how sand looks thrue the water on botom picture - i replicate this on Gorgonzola pilot base
    but for tutorial i made a bit more contrasted one so it is easer to show :
    [​IMG]
    lets paint a sand :) (or you may use real sand but remember that in this scale normal sand = rocks , and you need a fine sand made for creating special dioramas or to work with glass so it is sand powder to imitate a sand in this scale ) so i just paint a sand colour over textured base :)
    [​IMG]
    the water area :) just blue un shaded and wet - for better effect you whant to get this effect when colour is not exacly deep water from get go but this green blue thing like on botom photo that is a place wher watel colour mixes with a sand colour
    [​IMG]
    next layer - water colour looks a bit better
    [​IMG]
    and i paint a waves with white paint over the blue ..... so most basic fake water is done - just paint it ;)
    [​IMG]
    thisis how "just paint it" looks in case of Kurage Delegate
    [​IMG]
    this is when paint gets dry - ye i made it in um 2 minutes or less so i was taking photos of wet paint beside wet blending helps with faking waves :)

so now basicly is done grab your dong and .. no w8 .. thats not it
    [​IMG]
    Cover the "water" area with Acrylic Gloss/ glass medium creating waves over it .. and let it dry .. ye now it looks suspicious ...
    [​IMG]
    so it dryed and i could call it a day and made last step but i made an osl on mini from one side coming from the bottom somwer out of the base ... so i now smer a magenta over medium to get an effect of same osl on water
    [​IMG]
    and you gues it again a layer of Acrylic medium to get effect as the reflectiow nas in a water not just smered paint on it

next step is to just w8 for it to dry and when is done mix a Acrylic medium with snow effect or soda
    [​IMG]
    this will create way thicker goo that will imitate a water foam after aplication
    [​IMG]
    go for it on the peeks of already existing waves and on boots and other places wher it would create naturaly - and again let it dry
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    that's the effect of easy fake shallow water
    you may also create water foam and waves with Acryic water effect textures made by Valleho or other companys
    [​IMG]
    on all of this 3 minis effect is made by same medium
    on Delegate it is a lot of thin layers applayed one on another
    and Igao effect - you need to build up whole waves effect with transparent plastic taken from blister or plastic bottle and then make acrylic medium dray on it creating "water" - i my create whole tutorial just about this effect :) as creating a proper fake waves out of plastic isa bit tricky
    o and you may create whole water flows using this :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#132 maru, Jul 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Goonhammer, ZlaKhon, Daimeow and 11 others like this.
  13. Golem2God

@maru Thank you for the long in-depth tutorial. It has certainly made the task seem much more easier than before. Where would you go to buy the acrylic gel medium to create these bases? Hobby Lobby, Michael's or another arts/crafts store just like them?

14. maru

maru Well-Known Member

hobby lobby no ides - im unable to get on ther page some security error , Michael's - yes they got aslot of acrylic in tubes and they got Acrylic medium Glossy in at lest 4 different company , any shop with a lot of acrylic paints and mediums should have it
    Most time with this will took drying and deciding what colour to usde to fake effect as you do not whant to dye Gel as this ia sactualy hard to get it dyed just a bit and stay watery as medium is like jogurt and you need to figure out it colour and saturation when it will me translucent ;)

o W8 i forgot to tell why GEL medium not normal one
    Gel will create waves by itselve it is realy hard to get flat surface with it - thats why it is easy to get fake flowing water or water that got disturbed by boots or something - for perfect flat water use normal acrylic medium + a bit of flow improver

#134 maru, Jul 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Golem2God likes this.
  15. Section9

Really like that big splash effect!

Golem2God likes this.
  16. maru

maru Well-Known Member

i can make a tutorial about it but i have no mini that currently would fit it - so you preffere to w8 no idea how long but c it with mini or just a base tutorial without a mini ??

Golem2God likes this.
  17. Section9

It's OK by me if you wait to get a mini that deserves that big splash... maybe an AD trooper?

Golem2God likes this.
  18. maru

maru Well-Known Member

ok not a water base but not a Infinity mini to so i will show some :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. maru

maru Well-Known Member

soi was searching for Ghulam minis i painted for red veil to uploade .... and no effect yet .. i have them .. somewer ;)

but mean while i found other things :)
    [​IMG]
    like Go Go in Wonderland ;)
    and a Janissary BSB :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hope you like this blast from past and i found 2 minis that i can make a water splash base ;)

Daimeow, Harlekin, G-Spot and 4 others like this.
  20. Golem2God

@maru I remember that Janni from a way back. It is nice to see it again as the flag alone is a work of art. Looking forward to seeing the tutorial for myself. I'm eager to master the art of water on miniature bases & terrain as it has alluded me for a long time.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation