1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fluff question - foreign legion

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Solar, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

I'm creating a character for the Infinity RPG and I was wondering if there is any kind of equivalent of the French Foreign legion in Infinity, i.e. a military force that accepts foreigners and gives national citizenship in return for service. I suppose that the FFL might still exist in Infinity in actual France, but it seems unlikely that they'd really see any action and I'm looking for more an equivalent of the FFL as it is now.

2. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

Haqqislam Janissaries are close to the concept (which seems to be a reference to historical janissaries), but weird in execution, placing them on a more grimdark side of the idea. I'm really not sure if that fits your goals (probably not), but there's that.

3. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

Well Janissaries are more like the historical Janissary corps, i.e. raised from birth. I tend to go for a less grimdark take on them (basically illegally owned people liberated by the Haqq authorities are raised by the state, and many of them, but not all, join the Janissary corps), but it's definitely a different kind of thing from the FFL.

4. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

Yes, the part that they are exclusively the youth somehow slipped my mind even though it's probably the most recognizable part of characterization.

And sure they tend to be "less grimdark" as befits Haqq for whom lighter shades is the general theme. Still, the way it's done (rather than their existence itself) leaves the practice all kinds of questionable.

The reason I brought this up is because I don't really know more fitting examples.

Well, there's also Al-Fasid regiment who take almost anyone without asking questions as long as you have required skills and training. That may be relative though and I don't know where exactly the line for "anyone" is drawn and on which side of it foreigners are found.

But I mean, if they take people with shady past and not enough records of their life, those people might as well come from anywhere.

Not sure whether it's really a potential social lift or a dead-end job for people who are good at it but don't know much outside their specialty.

theGricks likes this.
  5. theGricks

theGricks Well-Known Member

I was about to say, the Al-Fasid regiment is a "Second Chance" regiment. It doesn't matter who you were, or what you did, or where you were from. If you had the skills necessary, and the capability to listen to orders, the Al-Fasid will take you and wipe your slate clean.

6. david_lee

david_lee Well-Known Member

Zhayedan are all volunteers. I don't know if any are foreigners though

7. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

The Al Fasid does seem to fit, although I was more hoping for a unit that takes in anyone, raw recruits. The impression I get of the Al Fasid is veterans only, no questions asked. Still, it is closer to what I'm looking for!

8. Wolf

Wolf https://youtube.com/@StudioWatchwolf

Human Sphere N3 gives the Morat Suryats get mention of citizenship. "The Suryat Heavy Assault Infantry is an elite body exclusively made up of members of the Gesurat caste. Within Morat society, Gesurats are Complete Morats. These military veterans have earned full citizenship in their natural home: the battlefield".

Whether you take this to be a figurative use of 'citizenship' might depend on what you think the Morat themselves think about nationality. If you're inclined to think that the battlefield is indeed their parent nation, then the Morats also have plenty of campaigns, battles and skirmishes to embroider into whatever back-story you'd like for your character.

The Blink Wars; the Spark Conflicts; the Sargasso Incursion; the Tohaa Campaign - what hunter's voice is worthy to sing the Baridak's in those glorious conflicts? Sumi Na Rat!

... wait a minute, I feel some fan fiction coming on. :smile:

Golem2God likes this.
  9. barakiel

barakiel Echo Bravo Master Sergeant

Something like this would actually be right at home in Merovingia.

Small population... But very cosmopolitan and inclusive of outsiders... With a thriving spaceport and active trade delegations from other factions... And a very strong inclination to grow their population and offer citizenry incentives in exchange for military service?

I think it's a perfect fit.

Golem2God and theGricks like this.
  10. McNamara

McNamara Merc Rep

I did explore exactly this concept before for Nomad Mercenaries. I didn't really find out how you can be a nomad citizen, maybe they don't really care in the first place about it since they probably don't have a taxation system anyways, or one thats paid when you enter the ship.
    I guess Corregidor might have some form of citizenship though, since there you have to pay with communal work. I guess they take every one though, so it might be that the whole CJC is pretty a Foreign Legion already. :thinking_face:

Attached Files:

• CFC.gif
      CFC.gif
      File size:
      20.6 KB
      Views:
  11. itsuncertainwho

itsuncertainwho Well-Known Member

Think along the lines of Starship Troopers where you can't vote unless you serve in the military. In the case of Morats you don't matter unless you have seen extensive combat.

From the stand point of FFL like setups. I would imagine any number of totally-not-state-operated mercenary and privateer companies in Haqq controlled areas would offer fast track citizenship paths.

12. stevenart74

stevenart74 Well-Known Member

I concur that the more palatable candidate for granting Citizenship in exchange for Military Service (that is NOT an exclusive modern idea of the French Foreign Legion; nowaday some Enlisted Service Personell in combat duty of the U.S.A. Forces are doing the military stint to have better possibilities at attaining American Citizenship !!) would be the Nomad Nation. . .

All the three Motherships seems to attract all manners of Misfit Outcasts and Veteran Troublemakers from all corners of the Human Sphere; while Tunguska will attract more shady Criminal / Detective types (like an immense "Film Noir Environment" in space) especially with Ethnic Ties to the various Organized Crime Families, and Bakunin will attract Adrenalin Junkie, Biosculpt Fetishists and Mad Scientists there are just TWO prized, precious commodities that "Buy Oxygen" in Corregidor. . .

Hardworking Zero-G specialty (essentially "Space Construction Workers" or "Asteroid Miners") or all manner of Combat Skills; after all that specific Mothership exports anywhere "Meteorheads Hardats" or "Orbital Mercenary Commandos" (and sometimes the two combined in a single personnel !!) and so will value anyone that would offer those difficultly mastered Skills as the only worthy candidates to join them. . . . .!!!

McNamara and unclesrouce like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation