1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Impetuous bikers shenanigans

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Ogid, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Ogid

Ogid Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about this part, just a quick sanity check:
    Let's imagine a biker with 4-4 movement unmounted but 8-6 mounted. Reaching the closer enemy model is around 32 inches away (half of the table); that would take 8 simple movement skills by foot but 4 using the bike, so it'd be much faster mounted than not.
    Now the shenanigans. Is the most direct route go to get the bike to reduce the travel time?
    Would be a legit tactic unmount the biker in your turn and move him away from the bike (putting the bike in a safe place) so in the impetuous phase he will move to his bike instead of towards the enemy LoF? Or if the biker starts its impetuous phase unmounted, he just ignore the bike and goes towards the nearest enemy even if that would take longer that go to get the bike?
    I guess the answer is he must run towards the enemy, not towards the bike; bust just in case...

ChoTimberwolf likes this.
  2. Papa Bey

Papa Bey Clueless Wonder. Still.

I would presume and rule that the impetuous move would be towards the enemy model.

Ogid likes this.
  3. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

He must take the path the takes the fewest amount of orders, typically this means running towards his bike.

4. Ogid

Ogid Well-Known Member

This is just why I created this thread, 2 possible readings:
    • Priorice moving towards enemy model: Ignore bike
    • Priorice looking for path that takes the fewer ammount of orders: Go towards bike (this could be used to make these models much safer)
    I think the nº1 is the less exploitable and the intended; but if we follow the rule of looking the way to reach there with the fewer number of orders, then it'd be nº2.

ChoTimberwolf likes this.
  5. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

The most direct route is defined as the route that takes least Orders. The trooper must go towards their motorbike if that would use fewer Orders.

6. Ogid

Ogid Well-Known Member

Interesting and inexpected. Ty!

A follow up question. How are the possible pathways determined, just estimate it or you can meassure? The number of order it takes is counting just 1 movement short skill per order or 2 movement short skill per order?

In my last example. 32 inches away (meassured or estimated); it'd be:
    • 8 or 4 orders on foot
    • 4 or 3 (2,3) orders by bike
    Taking in count that getting the bike would add 1 extra turn to the bike path it would be:
    • 8 or 4 on foot
    • 5 or 4 by bike
    In this case even counting 2 orders per movement you maychoose go towards the bike, however if the enemy is closer how this is meassured may be important.

7. KestrelM1

KestrelM1 Well-Known Member

It's generally assumed that when estimating "fewest orders," each of those orders are considered to be Move-Move.

Beyond that it is pretty much up to you and your opponent to agree on a reasonable path. You can't premeasure, you just have to guess.

8. CabalTrainee

CabalTrainee Well-Known Member

So i can dismount my kum bikers if i don't want them to drive to their deaths and next turn they just use their impetious order to get back up on the bike? (Unless they can get in 1 order to an enemy) Sounds weird but i'll take it.

9. Marduck

Marduck Well-Known Member

OMG that seems very difficult to determine what way is the shortest and counter intuitive ... It prevents a kum from dismounting his bike on the impetuous, which is good. But then drop the bike and run forward and back ? Sounds weird ...

10. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Bear in mind that mounting can only be done at the start of the first Skill of an Order, so this is only going to kick in if the nearest target is a substantial distance away (because three lots of Move-Move on foot is going to get you closer than moving back on foot followed by two Orders moving closer on the bike).

Metal730 likes this.
  11. Ogid

Ogid Well-Known Member

Impetuous in bikers not working like that was also my feeling, it was wrong in this case... but it'd be quite handy for Yojimbo in JSA for sure!

To prepare for this trick be best we could do is calculate how close a model can be before the unmounted model is forced to go toward it to not lose time in the middle of the game (I assume that if it takes the same number of turns, the impetuous player chooses the path).

However there is a potentially problematic interaction here:
    Assuming in all cases the biker is not more than 1 order away from his bike and the player will always choose going toward his bike:
    • For a 8-4 bike with a 4-4 rider: 1-8 inches: Unmounted; 9-12 inches: Bike; 13-16 inches: Unmounted; 17+ inches: Bike
    • For a 8-6 bike with a 4-4 rider: 1-8 inches: Unmounted; 9-14 inches: Bike; 15-16 inches: Unmounted; 17+ inches: Bike
    Basically, if the enemy is farter than 17 inches you can always choose the bike, however there is an interval of 2-4 inches before that where you could also choose the bike...

#11 Ogid, Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    CabalTrainee likes this.
  12. Ogid

Ogid Well-Known Member

How are those 2-4 inches handled? If we suppose the enemy model could be in that range (13-16 or 15-16), are we allowed to meassure to know what's the right path?

CabalTrainee likes this.
  13. CabalTrainee

CabalTrainee Well-Known Member

It's late i'm confused. Whatever @Ogid said seems correct.

14. Ogid

Ogid Well-Known Member

I've assumed the biker is very close but not in b2b with the bike, if the biker is further than the bike then it'd be even less.
    • Bike:
      • 1 turn: go towards bike (0 mov)
      • 2 turn: Mount and Mov-Mov (12/14 movement)
      • 3 turn: Mov-Mov (24/28 movement)
    • Biker
      • 1 turn: Mov-Mov (8)
      • 2 turn: Mov-Mov (16)
      • 3 turn: Mov-Mov (24)
    From 0 to 8 on foot, from 8.1 to 12/14 you can choose path (so bike), from 12.1/14.1 to 16 on foot, from 16.1 you can choose and after a while you must go toward the bike, so bike.

CabalTrainee likes this.
  15. Mcgreag

Mcgreag Well-Known Member

If you are less than 4 inch away from the bike how does that interact with the rule that says you have to move the full move value unless you come into base contact with an enemy or special terrain that could stop you. The bike is neither an enemy nor special terrain.

16. Papa Bey

Also I'm not a fan of inventing "tricks".

17. Ogid

Ogid Well-Known Member

That's a good question... It seems that the fact that the bike sortens the path may overrule that; however if you must move the entire MOV value there are a way to get around that. Just dismount and move your full MOV value away from the bike, so your full MOV value will get you again in B2B with it.
    Tomorrow I'll check these rules a bit more...

Hehe, it's much better discuss these tricks here that find out in the middle of a tournament.

18. Papa Bey

My initial reply was a complete lack of awareness of any rules that tell me I need to run my impetuous bike rider back to get their bike or in any way move in a manner which is not towards the closest* enemy model. It makes my brain hurt to pre-measure and do geometry.

19. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Impetuous has always been a pain in the butt that way. You need to talk to your opponent, something like, "OK, it looks like zooming my Aragoto up this street and then around this corner is the shortest route to your model *here* [ points ]. Do you agree, or is there a closer model of yours I need to move towards?"

Hecaton likes this.
  20. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Basically you estimate and try to remember that Jump and Climb are A Thing.

The issue as I see it is not distance measuring, but that distance is measured as full orders while players will very rarely do more than one Move during their Impetuous Order, which will basically screw up any distance measures completely.

BLOODGOD and CabalTrainee like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation