1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, Guts Roll?

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Erbent, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Erbent

Erbent Well-Known Member

After reading about being able to apply Guts Roll rules after succsessful Reset I wanted to re-read rules for guts rolls and now I am a bit unsure about how they work, I guess?

So, as I am used playing it goes something like this:

1)a model has to make a Guts Roll
    2)you may choose to automatically fail or try to pass it
    3)if you pass the models stands its ground
    4)if you fail then the model has to improve its cover or abandon the danger zone, and to do so it can move up to 2 inches or go prone, but cannot move towards the source of attack

Also in order of priority it's first to abandon a danger zone, then getting in total cover if possible, then getting to a partial cover, and if none of those are possible, then the model does not move at all.

Now for what I found in the rules:

In a QUICK SUMMARY it is written just about as I described above:
    "If a troop survives an Attack, at the end of the Order it must make a Normal WIP Roll. In case of failure or forfeit, the troop must try to exit the danger zone or improve its Cover as much as possible—Total Cover being preferable to Partial Cover—with up to 2 inches of movement. If it can do neither, the troop must go Prone. If none of these cases applies, the troop does nothing."

However, in a "How to move after a failed Guts Roll" a different wording is used:

"If none of the previous cases apply—because a 2-inch movement is not enough to improve the troop's Cover or make it abandon the danger zone, because the troop cannot go Prone, or for any other reason—, then, if player desires so, the troop does not move at all and performs no actions." the key difference to quick summary in a bold font here.

So, it seems from this that after a failed Guts Roll a model could still be moved those 2 inches, if not towards a better cover than it already has, then at least the shortest way towards exiting a danger zone?

Edit: I am also curious how it is written in a spanish version, maybe it is more clear there?

2. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

3. Erbent

Erbent Well-Known Member

Thank you for the link, but it seems we have two different questions here:

1)I'm wondering how exactly the failed/forfieted guts roll works, is it actually possible to move 2 inches to try to exit a danger zone if a model can't fully exit the danger zone, or if the part about " if player desires so, the troop does not move at all and performs no actions." is just a mistranslation and in fact quick summary is the right way to play it.

2)in a topic about difference between english and spanish vesrions that you posted a link to the discussion is about if it is possible to change a model's facing arc after a successful guts roll

4. Ogid

Ogid Well-Known Member

The summary seems to be right.
    In english/spanish these are the 2 lines:
    In spanish the "if player desires so" isn't present, so you have no choice. If you cannot improve Cover you don't move. Period.

5. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

The Guts Roll wiki page has been updated to match the rules PDF:

• If none of the previous cases apply—because a 2-inch movement is not enough to improve the troop's Cover or make it abandon the danger zone, because the troop cannot go Prone, or for any other reason—, then, if player desires so, (text removed, to match the rules PDF) the troop does not move at all and performs no actions.

Ogid, Bobman and Zewrath like this.
  6. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

so which version do we play at inter @HellLois spanish or english?

7. ijw

It'll be the English version.

8. kinginyellow

kinginyellow Well-Known Member

I'm confused. Does this mean that a model can turn around and go prone via guts, or no?

BLOODGOD likes this.
  9. ijw

Could you clarify your confusion? Are you talking about passed Guts Rolls, failed Guts Rolls with nearby cover, failed Guts Rolls with no nearby cover?

10. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

I think he's asking that if a trooper can only Prone as part of failing guts (not move to cover), may the Trooper also change their facing while executing the the change to Prone state.

11. kinginyellow

kinginyellow Well-Known Member

Helllois posted that failing guts with no nearby cover in spanish allows you to turn around (like failing a change facing roll in planet bowling ball when shit in the back within 8") so warning doesnt work. In English, the rules do not allow this but in spanish, their is a separate small paragraph to allow this. I assumed the guts faq was related to this.

12. ijw

Right, as per the FAQ the English rules take priority for Guts Rolls. So passing a Guts Roll no longer allows a trooper to turn around, or move at all.

If you fail the Guts Roll then you might be able to go Prone, depending on the specific situation and what the Guts Roll rules say for that situation.

fenren, Dragonstriker and BLOODGOD like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation