1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can i isolate ai beacons?

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by CabalTrainee, Jun 24, 2019.

1. CabalTrainee

CabalTrainee Well-Known Member

The isolated state only talks about troopers. Ai beacons are specified as equipment. So are they immune to jammers? I had this come up last tournament.

2. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

They’re Deployable Equipment, not Troopers, so no, they can’t be Jammed and Isolated. They can be Mineswept and switch players, but not Jammed.

3. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

The rules don't allow for a piece of equipment to enter the "Isolated" state. All of the clauses in the state only apply to a trooper, and since it's a piece of equipment and not a trooper, it can't be isolated. (And even in the hypothetical situation that it was isolated (which again, it can't be) it would continue to produce a regular order since only isolated troopers don't produce regular orders.)

CabalTrainee and Zewrath like this.
  4. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

Also, importantly, Isolated says:
    • This state does not affect Automatic Special Skills or Automatic Equipment (with the exception of Comms Equipment).
    AI Beacon is Automatic Equipment and is not Comms Equipment. The automatic equipment rules in the AI Beacon entry generate the order.
    That means that putting an AI Beacon into the Isolated state won't stop the AI Beacon rules producing their specified order and adding it to the order pool.

5. Arkhos94

Arkhos94 Well-Known Member

I indistinctly remember an old forum question about crazy koala going Imm-2 without a roll (due to o PH stats) when hit by ADHL. From what I remember @ijw was the one answering this question.

Like isolated, Imm-2 is supposed to be "trooper only" status. So (if my memory is not wrong, which is a big ig) ifCK can go Imm-2, no reason AI beacon could not go isolated

@ijw : could you tell me if I remember this correctly or not ?

6. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

Yeah, if I recall correctly, this is also the rationale on why a Netrod gets removed from the table, after suffering the loss of 1 STR, as it cannot enter Unconscious state

7. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Removing Netrods on suffering 1 STR is incorrect, however, because they enter Damaged state (not Unconscious)
    http://infinitythewiki.com/en/Damaged

8. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

There is nothing stopping the piece of Equipment from entering the state*, but it's going to have very limited effects.

I don't think I answered. It's not covered in the rules.

As pieces of Equipment, Netrods will enter Damaged state when reduced to 0 STR.

To summarise - you can Isolate an AI Beacon, but the only impact I can think of is that troopers with G: Jumper L1 or LZ won't provide an Order after all their bodies have gone down.

*Although Isolated mentions 'trooper' in the Activation clauses, Jammers and E/M Ammo just need a 'target'.

9. Mahtamori

Small note on the topic of glueing Koalas: Adhesive Ammo states "target" for entering Immobilized state and "trooper" for Guts Rolls. Regardless of which, Boost is not on the list of skills blocked by Immobilized nor is it an attack, so even if a Koala can be glued it can't be prevented from Boosting through such measures.

10. CabalTrainee

CabalTrainee Well-Known Member

Thanks for the answers guys. This helps alot.

11. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

Ouch! I've been playing my Imetron's totally wrong then! xD

12. FlipOwl

FlipOwl Well-Known Member

So have I. Does this mean that mines, Koalas etc should also enter the damaged state when shot, leaving the possibility of repairing them?

Daniel Darko likes this.
  13. Mahtamori

Yes, they should be left on table in Damaged state.
    No, they can't be repaired unless the scenario gives you an option somehow. Even though Engineer is target-neutral, an FAQ on AI Beacons specify equipment can't be repaired.
    Why? They still block movement.

14. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Pretty much nobody does though.

15. Mahtamori

That's on them, though. AI Beacons don't tend to matter, but people frequently put Perimeter equipment in positions where they mess up unit placement so I am starting to insist (edit: cautiously and tactfully) they stay around here (edit: in the Stockholm meta).

At worst/best they also provide a convenient shotgun pivot point...

#15 Mahtamori, Jun 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  16. split-infinity

Interesting thought, could be used to prevent templated attacks as well.

17. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

So apparently a Disconnected Perimeter weapon can still Boost, according to what people are saying in this thread...

18. Diphoration

Diphoration Well-Known Member
    Warcor

There was no mention of the "Disconnected" state in this post. A disconnected perimeter weapon will not be able to boost.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  19. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Why not? An Isolated AI Beacon isn't irregular.

20. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

Oh god this is actually true right now. Disconnected only affects troopers, not equipment. There's no clause in Perimeter, Boost or Disconnected that actually forbids a disconnected Koala from boosting.

Let's just chalk this up to one more awkward thing introduced by the "are AI beacons troops" question and its very... Haphazard ruling? Not fully baked ruling? I can't quite find the word I'm looking for, but you get what I mean. The "AI beacons are troopers for x but not y" thing breaks lots of other stuff.

Section9, Ginrei and Hecaton like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation