1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Heavy Infantry Problem

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Weathercock, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

But what about the white mask? As you just explained that means it's White Banner.

2. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

As I said a unit can be in two or more sectorials at the same time, if nothing changes , given how much time has passed from that announcement, white face plate units are slotted for the white banner sectorial.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  3. Hecaton

So why couldn't the Daofei and Tiger Soldier be in both White Banner and IA?

meikyoushisui likes this.
  4. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Probably because they would compete with the other units of the sectorial and/ or giving options not desired to be in the IA sectorial.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  5. Hecaton

Seems like the IA sectorial was designed to be hamstrung, then. Dashat does a lot of what it does but better.

There's also no particular reason that the Tiger Soldier couldn't have done the Liu Xing's job but cheaper, other than to push in a new profile that nobody wanted.

6. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

“Push a new profile nobody wanted” doesn’t seem accurate to me. This was a new unit released with the faction, not an underselling unit they tried to boost by making it “mandatory”. I’m fairly confident everything they put in IA they thought was a good idea. Now obviously some people disagree with them, but I think that you’re presuming malice where there was none.

Savnock, BLOODGOD, chaos11 and 3 others like this.
  7. SpectralOwl

I wanted it. Explode's toothless, but a guy who can take a hit for free dropping anywhere on the field is fantastic in my books. Only issue is the bizarre upside-down costing of the Sectorial that has him. I certainly consider the LX better than the Hortlak, which is very clearly made the way it is to be cost effective for a Core link. Odd thing about the frail HI everyone's complaining about; they're all designed to occupy Core Links except the Zhencha and LX. Maybe CB needs to take another look at the Fireteam rules, they encourage a whole different type of unit design to what works unlinked and that seems to be a problem with HI. Just look at Frenzy; it's insanely desirable on any HI that can link for its discount, but is like anti-mimetism in any other situation after the first gunfight.

Savnock and Dragonstriker like this.
  8. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

I know it’s very flavorful, but I think Frenzy is a bad mechanic due to its weird effects on unit pricing and fireteam interactions, plus its awkward game-state tracking where you have to remember to start applying a rules change one or two turns following something happening.

Savnock, BLOODGOD, Berjiz and 5 others like this.
  9. Hecaton

I wish Frenzy triggered *immediately* on inflicting a wound. It would be less things to track and would be more of a downside (i.e. losing cover).

10. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

I also wish impetuous models in fireteams were unable to take cover. I've disliked the way the frenzy+fireteams interaction works ever since Steel Phalanx came out in the original Campaign: Paradiso.

Savnock, BLOODGOD, Berjiz and 4 others like this.
  11. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

I also think that Frenzy is a poorly designed mechanic because it's hard to remember 'did this model cause a wound last turn?' Leads to forgetting to apply the penalty!

Nevermind the massive discount it apparently gives (comparing ORCs to Hospitaliers, it should give a ~15pt discount on a 40pt model!).

Pretty sure it used to do that, in N2. You wouldn't gain the Impetuous order, but otherwise I think it did go into effect immediately after causing a wound.

Savnock, Elric of Grans and Hecaton like this.
  12. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Yep, just checked in my 2e book. You frenzy imemdiately, although the only game effect is that you get the impetuous order on your next active turn. Impetuous being denied cover wasn't a thing back then.

Hecaton, xagroth and Section9 like this.
  13. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Thanks for checking!

14. ChoTimberwolf

ChoTimberwolf Artichoken Friend

Frenzy kicking in the moment they cause a wound would be great and impetuous units shouldn't gain cover ever. The only benefit of having them in a fireteam would be not having to spend orders to stop the impetuous order in case of extreme impetuous...of course I am a Tohaa player that loves his makauls

Savnock, Dragonstriker and toadchild like this.
  15. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Don't forget Sakiels, too!

ChoTimberwolf likes this.
  16. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

LOL well I look forward to all these clearly ISS units in White Banner!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lotta white helmets here bois!

[​IMG]

Bonus points for the Shikami being clearly designed as a White Banner unit before being deleted from our roster

[​IMG]

------------------------------------

Meanwhile, everyone else who can think rationally gets the point that yeah, white faceplate =/= White Banner unit.

#256 Triumph, Jun 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  17. Nenyx

Nenyx Well-Known Member

I just put a frenzy token near my model (usually Diomedes) when he deals his first wound. If he's still alive next turn, i replace that frenzy token by an impetuous one.

18. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Also means the likelihood of Frenzy actually mattering diminishes. Typically the Frenzy trooper will manage to push hard enough that the enemy is on back footing next turn so a small drawback tends to matter less, or the Frenzy trooper gets taken down before Frenzy activates.

I'm estimating Frenzy closer to 10 points for expensive units and 5 points for cheap units. For the really cheap units, Fury discounts gets very weird (Kuang Shi barely get any discount at all for Extreme Impetuous).

ChoTimberwolf likes this.
  19. Nemo No Name

Nemo No Name Aleph Cultural Atache

Probably because it is a % and not a flat value.

As for units added to sectorials to up the sale, see Andromeda.

20. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Doubt it's %, that's just not consistent with other units like, above all else, Shaolin, which would cost about the same as a Kuang Shi if made Regular and to carry the same weapons.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation