1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is CB trolling?

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Zewrath, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sedral

Sedral Jīnshān Task Force Officier

I, for one, am kinda happy with the 39pts FTO profile atm, even though the guy is a bit bloated. Works well with my usual playstyle.

SpectralOwl likes this.
  2. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

You said above average AVA of Libertos shows funding of terrorists and PanO wouldn't allow YJ do that's because PanO is all-powerful it seems. Then you tell me they wouldn't care if a minor power they can crush all the better does it.

Yes. Makes sense that is much easier for PanO to enforce decisions in the YJ high command than in a bunch of mercenaries'. Absolutely.

In your headcanon .

3. Bohrdog

Bohrdog Santathematics

I would bet it's because they are Xenophobes, they didn't even consider Japanese to be people and treated them as a subclass.

4. SpectralOwl

I was exaggerating a bit back there, sorry for generalizing. I was eyeing up the Minelayer myself since E/Maulers are great at stopping powerful rambo pieces ripping up a backline and there is an uncomfortable amount of JSA in my area. Not to mention they are very painful for links in general, since the Isolated/IMM survivor is left standing around in the way instead of dead or wounded, and makes a great target for a template weapon.

5. barakiel

barakiel Echo Bravo Master Sergeant

Third Offensive talks about some Helots leaving Varuna to pursue work and opportunity off-world, and they're not all Libertos. Certainly, some might be Libertos, but some might be generic mercenaries just using the Libertos profile. It's the same topic as Zuyong or Wu Ming profiles being used to represent generic Heavy Infantry in NA2 factions.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  6. gorin

gorin Well-Known Member

Oh, thats why they better than libertos (mimetism)! Because they not libertos! Just like zuyongs and zhenchas! But these guys don't have better profiles than originals, that's a drawback

7. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

As long as they're not attacking funding-corporation's assets, who cares?

Remember, these corporations are hiring mercs for strikes on their (PanO hypercorp) competitors!

8. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

As @Section9 said, they serve panO interests and as I said they are a minor power with no political or practical gain to act against, given their owner any move against them PanO has only to loose.

Yu Jing on the other hand are a rival and any political leverage against them is a bonus.

9. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

This setting is getting dumber and dumber the more I learn of the backstory. Not only does the story take an infantile approach to revolt suppression for the faction which wrote the book on it, it also has a supposedly totalitarian faction take a very hands-off and blue-eyed approach to former servicemen selling their services to the primary competitors, and it has economic interests for the biggest faction actively employing and funding separatist elements for the same faction.

10. SpectralOwl

Uprising was a complete shambles, but I've read somewhere that Yu Jing was actually supposed to be a nicer place to live than PanO as long as the citizens in question agree with certain policies and mindsets of interest to the State. They probably wouldn't mind a few non-critical personnel forming a mercenary group once their service was up, especially since it means more buyers for the state's arms manufacturers and less market share for PanO's mercs. As for PanO paying Libertos; every fishman MagnaObra or whatever is paying to gank Ariadnan trade caravans is a fishman nowhere near anything the hypercorps care about, and with a good chance of being killed at that. It's a win-win for the client to send people they hate on suicide missions against other people they hate unless the two groups start working together for some reason.

Ariwch and Dragonstriker like this.
  11. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

I think it was PanO was a nice place, unless you're an Atek. In which case it's an absolute shit hole.

12. Mahtamori

There's one thing if they form a mercenary company, there's another if they form a mercenary company that's essentially a front for partisan Pan-O operations. There's also a weird discrepancy in Infinity where it seems nearly all mercs seem to be heavily aligned to Pan-O, which creates a very weird storytelling imbalance.

I doubt IRA would take money from SAS to kill islamists. I doubt ETA would accept pay from Spanish business conglomerates to provide security on oil fields in Africa. I doubt Tatenokai would take directions from Yu Jing corporations to perform black ops against Australian government assets. The underlying question here is why the hell a Pan-O asset has Libertos at all, because it's a lose-lose for them.
    And at that, imagine the diplomatic backlash Yu Jing could cause if Pan-O is seen as lending legitimacy by supporting a freedom movement on one of Pan-O's planets.

Dragonstriker and LaughinGod like this.
  13. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

Nah, because PanO is God and can do whatever they want, didn't you read Uprising? Yu Jing has absolutely 0 political power because they are EVUL

#593 Benkei, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Ariwch, Dragonstriker, Kallas and 3 others like this.
  14. Bohrdog

Bohrdog Santathematics

Those aren't Merc's they are hostile factions or terrorist groups. Mercenary Company's are like Academi, Executive Outcomes, Sandline International but they like to be called private military company in steed of mercenary.

15. Mahtamori

Or Dahshat. You're thinking of Dahshat.

"Libertos Freedom Fighters" are to Pan-O what the Minutemen were to the English crown, the Daesh are to the Syrian president, or possibly what the Kossacks were to the Tsar. (Shooting wide here - but definitely politically motivated belligerents and while all three of those examples were handled differently, none were employed by "loyal" assets*)
    Or at least I think they are because I couldn't find a trace of them in Daedulus Fall when I searched through it.
    I find it very weird thematically that they don't get Helots. Qaid sounds like he could afford the equipment, no problems, and it sounds like he'd prefer stable-temperament Helots over the Libertos.
    (Gameplay-wise I'm kind of happy they don't get Helots, because Helots are vile)

* Although by "loyal assets" I'm using what psychoticstorm implied. The book seems to paint Dahshat more like mercenary corporation modeled on Pagan Min or Vaas Montenegro (Far Crys 4 and 3). Paying lip service to Pan-O, being a mostly un-paid-for ad for Yu Jing and doing dirty work for The Old Man. Pan-O seems to be getting the short end of the stick (even though the deal with Yu Jing relationship makes little sense)
    From a very cursory read. I don't like the interview writing style.

Dragonstriker, LaughinGod and Hecaton like this.
  16. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

To me much of it is comic book story. I'm an old time comic guy and I take everything with a grain of salt in these things. Much of story is done for a "coolness" factor or something. I think they just wanted to use Zuyong in Dahshat, and had a convenient real world McGuffin to make it make a bit of sense. Though sometimes it's best to say nothing and let the reader come up with their own ideas. Same with the Liberto. They just wanted Dahshat to have something different and who cares about story with PanO.

17. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

PanO has always struck me as being a nation of Robber Barons, late 1800s 'Capitalists'** complete with company towns and company stores.

** Capitalist in quotes because that term in Economics doesn't mean what it was being used for then. The Economic term for such Robber Baron types is Mercantilist.

Again, I see this as MagnaObra/etc hiring 'known terrorists' for striking at their competitors. Their PanO competitors. YJ takes the heat for the attack because "everyone knows they're funding the Libertos".

xagroth and Dragonstriker like this.
  18. Mahtamori

Nobody sees the Libertos because the shiny neo ads (literally used by Yu Jing as political ads), the Zuyong, are in the way, stealing all the screen time.

They employ the figureheads for Yu Jing, they don't need to hire known terrorists for smear operations, they just need to send in the real deal.

Dragonstriker likes this.
  19. Ten Thousand Arrows

Ten Thousand Arrows Imperial Sage

I'm fairly sure that Uprising broke the setting. I know it certainly did for me. It's all been downhill from there with the addition of Awesome and Original Merc Companies.

Its "balanced cold war political intrigue" has been completely wiped away, along with all of my generous suspension of disbelief that comes with any sci fi. I could spew examples but one will do (we're all sick of it by now, I'm sure): the PanO blockade in Yu Jing territory. Again, I'm not going to rant. This is actually a bad thing for Corvus Belli - I rant because I was invested in their setting, game, and ultimately products. Now I'm disenfranchised and have turned back to other hobbies.

The icing on the cake was the attitude of Corvus Belli's own staff and the majority of Warcors. Gutier Lusquiños even said (and I'm paraphrasing) that he was disappointed that so many people didn't appreciate his writing because they weren't intelligent enough!

#599 Ten Thousand Arrows, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  20. Mahtamori

Yeah, what's generally needed for the setting to keep trucking is for Pan-O's back to be broken since they have withdrawn the one advantage that Yu Jing had which kept Pan-O in check, its military strength. A proper insurrection the magnitude of planets and the inception of the resulting sixth human mega-power.
    (That, and a timely massive set-back for Combined to buy humanity a bit of time - or possibly a feigned set-back to get humanity back to in-fighting)

Dragonstriker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation