1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pistols for troopers with combi rifles or shotguns

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by prophet of doom, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

The rule is Base to Base contact with the template. For Base to Base contact with the target (but not template), you need to be Engaged with the target.

Body blocking with a HVT requires you to spend a Move to get the HVT to occupy the same space as the trooper you intend to protect - or at least to have the HVT block sufficient amount of the controlling trooper's Silhouette volume. It's costlier in terms of movement than it seems but much easier if you've managed to Synch both HVTs.

prophet of doom likes this.
  2. Ayadan

Ayadan Knight of the TAG Order

They aren't in the Engage state but they are in base contact. If you put your HVT in base contact with the place of the template that is in base contact with the target, she will be in base contact with the template too and will be affected. So, she will cancel it.

#22 Ayadan, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  3. Kreslack

Kreslack Unknown Ranger lead the way!

I've though alot about the lack of use for pistols on like 90% of the models that carry them. Which is a little disappointing since pistols are cool. One solution I'd love to see in the future would be for ordinary pistols to get the silent quality since I can imagine most spec ops team would likely carry them and the weaker rounds make them easy to suppress. (and its the future so im sure the tech has gotten better) Gives the base weapon a new tactical purpose and some fun risk reward. Also shouldn't stomp on the tact bow's ground too hard since it's quite a bit weaker and not DA.

4. cazboab

cazboab Definitely not Cazboaz.

Suppressor technology is already butting up against the laws of physics as far as noise reduction goes, there's really not a lot of room for improvement there @Kreslack ...

Besides in game terms, the pistol is what it is, adding functions to it potentially imbalances the existing profiles of everything with a pistol, and really imbalances anything with stealth. Also compared to the tactical bow, B2 gives twice the chance to hit, so without running the math on it, I'm going to take a guess that it would be about even over all...

5. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

Doesn't rule explicitly mentions "engaged" under section labeled "template weapons and close combat" or something?

6. prophet of doom

prophet of doom Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong. Pistols are very useful. I use them a lot. I just don't shoot with a pistol when I can shoot a shotgun, etc.

7. Flipswitch

Flipswitch Sepsitorised by Intent

I wish my Overdron had a (heavy) pistol.

8. TriggerPuller9000

TriggerPuller9000 Poverty Orde Wingate

Loaded M16 mags weigh about 17 oz, versus 30 oz for a loaded Glock 19. ~60 rounds of rifle ammo > ~30 rounds of handgun ammo, so most guys don't carry pistols.

If the worry is reliability, you can carry an extra bolt carrier group (<12 oz) and a mag and a half versus the weight of the pistol. In other words, in conventional warfare, you're better off ditching the pistol.

In terms of game mechanics, Pistols are amazing. My Kuang Shi and Ghazis have racked up quite a body count with pistols alone.

T. Rex Pushups likes this.
  9. T. Rex Pushups

T. Rex Pushups Well-Known Member

Pistols are the reason direct template weapon troopers are much scarier than people think.

daboarder, sarf, Abydog and 1 other person like this.
  10. cazboab

(disclaimer : all of my real world "combat" experience comes from airsoft and pubs in Paisley, I have never served in the armed forces)
    If the issue is reliability over an hour or two on a range sure, but given that you're going to be under stress, potentially in a very dirty environment with poor light and maybe even someone else trying to stop you, changing out a BCG is probably not a good option. Even if you can swap the Bolt as fast as you can change a magazine (unless you have a California legal gun that probably isn't the case...) that's not accounting for the fact that most malfunctions won't require a new bolt carrier, if you have a blocked gas tube, a separated case or a squib load then the weapon is not getting back to functioning condition in a convenient time frame. Or you can reach down to your hip, over to your armpit etc snap a thumb stud, pull the pistol out, point it in the right direction and put your booger hook onto the bang switch until the nasty man goes away...

11. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

I get what you're saying, but I feel like the total lack of close range ability is a big part of what makes the otherwise shockingly low price of the Overdrons reasonable.

12. Flipswitch

Flipswitch Sepsitorised by Intent

Totally agree, I still wish he had it though! :)

Solar and toadchild like this.
  13. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

I, too, wish my stuff would all just get magically superior

14. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Personally I think this is missing the 'Pistols for troopers with another type of Pistol' case. I mean, Pistols are niche enough but the niche for 'I use my Pistol instead of my Breaker Pistol, because it'll have a higher effective DAM vs your BTS' is tiny.

15. cazboab

I think it's just Grenzers and sekuel commandos that have both, so it's possible that it's supposed to be a very niche load out...

16. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

Actually my Shinobu uses her pistol alot. She's the best model to complete Coup De Grace and I seem to draw that alot.

I guess you could just declare no weapons with the attack but that just seems wrong.

17. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

CC at base value with -2 to Damage... granted they fire at low value, unless they are the priciest version (HMC) in Sup Fire, but...

18. david_lee

david_lee Well-Known Member

Are you kidding me? That doesn't seem wrong, that seems awesome! Shinobu doesn't need to use pistol when her fists are equally deadly

T. Rex Pushups likes this.
  19. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Aren't fists also silent?

20. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

That's the funniest part: no they're not :)

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation