1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wildcards (not) replacing all Fireteam core Troopes

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Hachiman Taro, Jun 2, 2019.

1. HellLois

HellLois What the Hell...Lois?
    CB Staff

Same as mine :P

I will study it to add to the next FAQ Update.

2. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

A much less messy way to go about it would be to 1) clearly indicate which unit is the foundation of the fireteam (Frontoviks in case of Fronts+112, Fusiliers OR Orc's in case of their mixed fireteam, etc), and then keep the part about requiring at least one trooper from that founding unit (so 1 Front, 1 112, 3 Vets would be legal, but 4 Vets + 112 wouldn't).

I'd also seriously consider restricting the number of Wildcards able to join any one link.

This

3. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

That's not what @HellLois said. He said that you need a unit listed for that Fireteam in that Sectorial chart. Mobile Brigada ARE a unit listed for that Fireteam in the Sectorial chart.

4. Hachiman Taro

Hachiman Taro Inverted gadfly

And with IJWs clarification (it has to be a Fireteam: Core on the chart, special or otherwise) it's clear that Tsyklon (counts as Brigada) + Lupe (Wildcard) + Daktari (Wildcard) is a valid Special Fireteam: Core to the one listed next to Alguaciles. You could also Have Valeria (Counts as Alguacile), Lupe (Wildcard), Daktari (Wildcard) as an Alguacile Fireteam: core.

inane.imp likes this.
  5. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

Frontoviks OR the 112

IJW pointed out it is legal

6. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

I know, I'd simply like to see it restricted a bit further

7. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

Shrug, I disagree

8. rushputin

rushputin Well-Known Member

I'm probably being slow because I've just started my coffee, but:

Does this affect only Core or does it affect Special Core links as well?

I ask because in the case of Special Core, it might be hard to tell/clarification is required on which is the "unit" associated. ie:

Corregidor: Special Fireteam: Core. Up to 3 Alguaciles and up to 2 Mobile Brigadas.

Do I need 1+ Alguacile? Or 1+ Mobile Brigada? Or 1+ of both? Or 1+ of neither (because this change only affects the standard Cores, not Special Cores)​

Corregidor: Special Fireteam: Core. Up to 4 Jaguars + Señor Massacre.

Do I need +1 Jaguar here? This is listed under Massacre, as well, do I need 1+ of him, too?​

9. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

This distinction is grammatically confusing. I'd almost argue confusing enough that it should only be added/fixed in a new edition review when language is allowed to further mature and become more unified in the core rules.

10. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

A Special Fireteam: Core is still a Fireteam: Core. So:
    The Alguaciles + Brigada Core must include one Alguacil or one Brigada.
    The Jaguar + Massacre must include one Jaguar or Massacre.

11. BLOODGOD

BLOODGOD Vampire Hunter

I've been down on these crazy fireteams for quite a while, and none of this is helping.

sackofowls, Berjiz, KestrelM1 and 2 others like this.
  12. rushputin

rushputin Well-Known Member

OK, that makes sense. On rereading the rule I clearly wasn't reading it correctly. Thanks!

13. ndeguise

ndeguise Well-Known Member
    Warcor

So, maybe I'm slow, but I see a few ways Fireteams are formed:

Example 1: Up to 3 Vet Kazaks + 2 Frontnoviks - In this case the Wildcard can replace either the Kazaks or the Frontnoviks?
    Example 2: Up to 3 Alguaciles and up to 2 Mobile Brigada. Tsyklons Count As Mobile Brigada. - So, you could have 1 Tysklon and 4 Wildcards?
    Example 3: Zuyong Invisibles (Core). Up to 1 Rui Shi can join ... - This CANNOT have 1 Rui Shi and 4 Wildcards, it requires at least 1 Zuyong
    Example 4: Grenzer Core. Up to 1 Interventor can join... - This requires at least 1 Grenzer? 1 Interventor cannot join the team alone?
    Example 5: Bagh-Mari or Regulars Core - Up to 2 Bagh-Mari can join any Fireteam Core of Regulars - Same as above? At least 1 Regular is required?

Is it a differentiation of how it's written?

Example: Up to X + Y - Anything can be replaced as long as you have X or Y?
    Example: Up to X and up to Y - Same, anything can be replaced as long as you have X or Y?
    Example: Up to X can join a Fireteam of Y. - You must have at least 1 Y in order for the team to be legal? You cannot have just X plus Wildcards?
    Example: Z Counts as Y. Up to X + Y. - Since Z = Y, Z can be in the Fireteam with any number of Wildcards?

Does that align with what is intended? I really don't get that sense from the rules as written.

Section9 and Ginrei like this.
  14. Ginrei

Ginrei Well-Known Member

Does this logic for Wildcard extend to any kind of Special Fireteam... Haris etc?

15. Diphoration

Diphoration Well-Known Member
    Warcor

"Count as" is pretty clear.
    "Wildcard" only says "X can be of any Fireteam of this Sectorial Army."

The new ruling makes a distinctions between the two when it mentions that you need a minimum of (1) trooper from the list and that "Count as" can be used to bypass that restriction, but not "Wildcard".

This distinction makes it seem as though "Count as" can replace, but that "Wildcard" cannot replace and that rule wording for "Wildcard" is more akin to "X can join a Y Fireteam".

If we take the Frontovik special fireteam, the following example:
    "Up to 3 Veteran Kazaks + 2 Frontoviks",
    I feel like with current wordings on rule, the fireteam should read...
    "Up to 3 Veteran Kazaks + 2 Frontoviks + Up to X Wildcards"

As wildcard are not "Count as" as implied by the new changes, they should not override hard requirements.

16. ijw

Yes.

17. Papa Bey

Papa Bey Clueless Wonder. Still.

Now. If the sole core member bites it, is the team still valid?

Smiler and Robock like this.
  18. ijw

Fireteam composition rules apply to creation of a Fireteam. Standard cancellation rules are unaffected.

19. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

i'm probably too late, did not read all the other page yet, but the new rule is clearly about core, not about haris, duo or triad.

20. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

I just went through all of the Fireteams and, while I am guaranteed to miss some, this doesn't change a lot unless you're playing Dahshat. Here's the "banned" ones I can find:
    Acon: Bagh-Mari + Orcs + Rao, unless you add a Regular or remove the Orc
    QK: Hafza + Hafza + Leila, but I don't know why you'd want to waste a Core on this in the first place
    IA: Haidao + Panggo + Son-Bae, but I don't know why you'd want to waste a Core on this in the first place
    Varuna: Patsy + Clipper + Machinist, but I don't know why you'd want to waste a Core on this in the first place and adding a Kamau Wildcard makes it valid
    NCA: Bipandra + Machinist + Aquila + Black Friar, unless you add a Bolt
    MO: Father-Knight + Santiago + Black Friar, unless you add an Order Sergeant
    MO: Father-Knight + Santiago, but I don't know why you'd want to waste a Core on this in the first place
    Dahshat: Rui Shi have to have an actual Zuyong
    Dahshat: Sforza + ABH + Gromoz + Miranda, unless you add a Zuyong, Brawler, or Ghulam

Just be careful late-game when reforming your battle-ravaged force!

Xeurian, Solar, meikyoushisui and 5 others like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation