1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Datatracker on Onyx

Discussion in 'Combined Army' started by Edtaher, May 31, 2019.

1. Edtaher

Edtaher Active Member

Hello guys!

I have been playing Onyx the last 2 months or so, mainly testing Sphinxs lists.

I always start the lists with a Unidron core, Kerr-nau, nexus hacker, dr. worm... because I think they are very pretty good options.

What I have noticed is that either I dont choose well my datatrackers or I dont played them well, and I am not the only person feeling this.

I think it would be interesting for all of us to know how you guys choose your datatracker in Onyx and how do you usually play it.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

2. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

Plasma Sniper Rifle Overdron. But i don't normally use a Sphinx...
    A Samaritan could be a good option.

But you need to adjust your lists to the missions you'll play

Edtaher likes this.
  3. Edtaher

Edtaher Active Member

I agree with you. I will definetely try out the overdron. And what do you think of Suryats as Datatackers?

4. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

It's risky but my preference is Dr Worm or the Nexus Hacker Lt. These aren't survivable but they make good use of the datatracker irregular order, with the idea being that you crush your opponent with the rest of your list and then make a last turn run for the zone.

5. Edtaher

Edtaher Active Member

I have used them too, but with bad results...

What do you think about suryats and rodoks? Could they fit the role?

6. RobertShepherd

Rodok probably not, or rather not with any special advantage. A Suryat tactical awareness HMG might be an interesting choice, with many free orders to relocate and attack, but could also be the worst of all worlds thanks to being 48pts (only 9pts cheaper than the cheapest overdron).

A high-risk but potentially powerful option could be the new forward deployment Ko Dali, aiming to protect her and get her wound count up over the game, but with only one wound to start off with (albeit with bioimmunity to help make sure you can doctor her back if necessary) it's a fragile choice.

Ultimately Onyx isn't a sectorial with a really clear and easy datatracker. Our TAGs are middleweight and many of our best models are marker state or REMs, so the datatracker is something that's hard to take advantage of in Frostbyte.

Edtaher likes this.
  7. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

linkable Samaritans dont do it for you?

A legate if you are playing defensively and a samaritan for an aggressive Data Tracker. Neither are overly tough, but they have 2W or more and as far as data trackers go, outside of rare exceptions thats pretty good

8. RobertShepherd

Generally I try to have an unlinked model as datatracker in frostbyte in order to benefit from the special irregular order, but a Samaritan is another good-if-risky choice. A bit like Ko Dali, much of the game will hinge on getting him that zesty extra wound or two, and then you're in good shape.

daboarder likes this.
  9. RobertShepherd

And it should be noted that most of these are measured against the Vanilla Combined baseline of, e.g., the Avatar. Which is not necessarily a very fair comparison :P

Edtaher and daboarder like this.
  10. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

worth pointing out, the Overdron cant prone. that can be huge.

Suryat probably looks like the boring but dependable winner I guess (HMG or BS)

RobertShepherd likes this.
  11. Edtaher

Edtaher Active Member

Yes, In fact in my next game the samaritan will be the DT, I am involved in a league and its my very best option in that particular game (unmasking). I think its even sinergystic to use protheion against the designated HVT.

12. Edtaher

Edtaher Active Member

That is what I thought, the Suryat is more easy to play than the umbras o TAGs in hands of a newbie. I feel like I lack tons of experience points to max the capabilities of the umbras. Nevertheless, I will definetely try a Samaritan in my next game.

13. Edtaher

Edtaher Active Member

I am looking forward using Ko dali, but the profile I like the most its not datatrackable because she doesnt start the game deployed...

And yes, I agree, better to have the DT unlinked, because in some moments you have to walk free and its a pity to break the link team.

RobertShepherd likes this.
  14. Edtaher

Edtaher Active Member

Agreed with all you said.

15. HardDisk

HardDisk Well-Known Member

For agressive DTs i like Umbras, Overdrons, Xeodrons, Ko Dali and sometimes Kerr-Nau.

I don't like to treat Xeodrons like TAGs, i use it like i would use one HI, and Ko Dali is a beast if she eat anything.

For defensive DTs usually Nexus or something that never leaves my DZ

Edtaher likes this.
  16. Fathoym

Fathoym Well-Known Member
    Warcor

It really depends on mission as well. Ko Dali is pretty fantastic in Decap - as long as you're going first :face_with_rolling_eyes:

I've had a bit of success with Suryats. I used to run a duo HMG and Vulkan shotgun as a laugh, and they ended up working so well that they stuck around for a bit.

Otherwise, what other people have said is pretty much on the money. I don't generally dislike the Rodok link like a lot of players, so if you're playing a datatracker heavy mission set, then I would seriously consider taking that link. If you're playing a "keep the tracker alive" scenario, then you can play the link defensively. Otherwise you can make the umbra the datatracker and play the link aggressively.

Edtaher likes this.
  17. Edtaher

Edtaher Active Member

Hey, guys, thank you all for the participation.
    I want to sum everything up to ease the reading for the forum users:

- regarding Datatrackers, we face 2 scenarios: passive datatrackers (they have to survive) and active datatrackers (they have to do things)
    - Passive datatrackers: use models that usually dont leave the deployment zone (like a Nexus Hacker)
    - Active datatrackers: use models that can be either dangerous (Samaritan, Ko Dali...) or reliable (TAGs, Suryat TA HMG).
    - To take into account:
    >active datatrackers eventually need to fly free, so may not be recommended to have it linked in a fireteam.
    >Tags and Rems cannot prone, that makes them an easier target for the opponent

If I am wrong or you dont agree with the conclusions, let me know because this can be edited.

Regards!

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation