1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaia Switch and Disengage

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Stompburger, May 24, 2019.

1. Stompburger

Stompburger Member

Scenario:
    Wild Bill is adjacent to an enemy Gaia and no other enemy. He spends a movement point to disengage, and succeeds. However, during the disengage roll, Gaia uses her ( :3:Displace an obstacle) switch to displace one of her Gorgoneions to a space adjacent to Wild Bill (before his disengage movement).

Question:
    Does Wild Bill now also need to make a disengage roll against the the Gorgoneion before moving? Or does he move, and then if he is no longer adjacent to an enemy, no longer needs to disengage?

2. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

This is the correct answer

3. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

There isn't another disengage roll needed for the first hex of movement.

However, IF the Gorgoneion is adjacent to Wild Bill after he has taken that "first step" he may now need to disengage from that Minion.

But you need to guess blind in placing the Gorgoneion, because Wild Bill gets to decide what direction to move in AFTER he has made his disengage roll.

Numazokola likes this.
  4. Plebian

Plebian Well-Known Member

This often happens with 8ball and Max, where the Panda keeps dancing in front of him, very entertaining.

5. Isidore

Isidore New Member

May-be yes.

In the FAQ, from Aristeia website, we have this Q/A:

Q: When making a Face to Face Roll to Disengage, what happens if I Displace myself with the effect of a Switch and end up adjacent to another Enemy? If the Roll is successful, could I move a space without having to Disengage this new enemy, or would I have to Disengage a second time without having moved? If I have to disengage a second time without moving, would I be forced to move 2 Spaces if I succeed with my second Disengage?

A: The successful result when Disengaging forces you to move the Character that disengages, then the disengaged model must declare this mandatory movement and will have to make a new Face to Face Roll to Disengage the second model. If it’s successful again, the Disengaging Character must move only once.

In the case describe by stompburger, wild-Bill doesn't displace, but have a new ennemy adjacent to him. Looks-like a lot to the FAQ situation...

6. treiral

treiral Midnight poster

Controversial opinion:
    I never liked that FAQ. You're declaring movement twice, and rolling disengage twice, while successfully disengaging from one, but still can't move until you disengage from the second one. It breaks the rules of disengagement where it says "The active Character must move to a new space if the Disengage Roll is a success.".

7. JAGS

JAGS Member

My Opinion and Interpretation: Doesn't matter where you end up with your displaces of switches, you just get a successful Disengage Roll and you should be able to move at least once... if then you end up adjacent to another enemy then i'm agree that you need to Disengage again, but it's like when you loss LoS with an enemy during an attack after switches, the attack resolves with the inicial condition.

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  8. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

I see the similarity you are drawing, but would argue that the appearance of a Gorgoneion is sufficiently different that it doesn't necessarily follow the same logic.

Nevertheless I stand by my original position. There isn't another disengage roll needed for the first hex of movement, but IF the Gorgoneion is adjacent to Wild Bill after he has taken that "first step" he now needs to disengage from that Minion.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation