1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving during a coup de grace

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Vanderbane, May 22, 2019.

1. Vanderbane

Vanderbane Well-Known Member

My trooper is unconscious and 1 inch away from my opponent's trooper. My opponent wants to walk by, touch my guy, and keep moving (out of base contact) into cover, and then perform a CdG.

Can this happen, or does he stop his move as soon as base contact with my trooper? Put another way, can he cancel an engaged state on the same move that it forms?

2. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

he stops as soon as he contacts your UNC trooper as he triggers the engage state. this state is not canceled until the resolution step of the order

ijw and Vanderbane like this.
  3. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

The issue isn't really about when the Engaged state can be cancelled, it's this:
    • A trooper's Movement ends automatically whenever he enters base to base contact with an enemy, even if the movement route specified is cut short as a result.
    from the General Movement Rules http://infinitythewiki.com/en/General_Movement_Rules
    Coincidentally, when you enter base contact you become Engaged. But it's not written as the fact that becoming Engaged cancels the movement.

The Engaged state prevents you from declaring further movement from where you were forced to stop, but it can be cancelled later. But then you're on your third skill declaration for the order and trying to do too much.

1. Activate trooper
    2. Declare Move that goes up to the enemy model, gets into base contact and moves off. You measure out the movement, and the quoted GMR bullet point above, your movement gets cut short and it stops where hits base contact.
    3. AROs.
    4. Declare coup de grace
    5. AROs.
    and now you're out of skills and can't go anywhere until the next order.

By the FAQ/errata, you can cancel the engaged state if you don't want to be engaged with the unconscious model, but it's too late to stop your movement getting cutting short.

4. Vanderbane

Vanderbane Well-Known Member

Thanks @solkan , this is what I remembered but could not find.so I if enemy contact is key, then that's why continuing to move after base contact with a friendly for doctoring is allowed, and presumably also for touching buttons. Neat.

5. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

The touching buttons is more contentious (if you want the option of CCing them).

Personally, I play it that you don't need to stop your Movement because objectives aren't enemy troopers for the purposes of Movement.

This thread does the topic to death:
    https://forum.corvusbelli.com/index.php?threads/28274/

Sabin76 and Mahtamori like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation